Small Portable Radio's?

schuster

Newly Enlightened
todderbert review got me...

Look at this one. Sold out on Amazon, it's available on eBay for mere pennies. Also sold under brands like VITE etc.

Manufacturer at http://www.radio668.com

For the price I couldn't resist. Even has an (undocumented) key sequence to change the MW step rate from 9/10 KHz.

While the noise floor on AM type bands is rather high, it is one of the few digital cheapies I've ever encountered that has absolutely no CPU noise bleeding into the audio. While not a DX rig strictly speaking, I was able to easily tune powerful clear channel stations from hundreds of miles away last night.

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
fyi info. I was curious of the country of manufacture for the C.Crane CC Pocket, so I emailed my question ....

Please remember not to copy-paste private communications here on CPF (a summary is ok) , nor post any non-public names / eMail / other personal info. Thank you.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most of the recent CCrane radios have been made in China by Dongguan Redsun, who produces radios under their own Redsun brand.
In the past, Redsun even had equivalent models to the Ccrane offerings ... until now ... so instead the company that produces some sets for Xhdata just went and copied the circuitry wholesale.

If that true I wonder what part of C.Crane is being used in XHDATA. For example, their double function keys differ drastically. That means firmware is different. Do they feature the same SDR chip hardware?

schuster

Newly Enlightened
If that true I wonder what part of C.Crane is being used in XHDATA. For example, their double function keys differ drastically. That means firmware is different. Do they feature the same SDR chip hardware?

Yes the UI is entirely different, but according to teardowns by Jay Allen and others, they have copied the basic DSP design of the Skywave SSB into the D-808. This is the reason why they dare not officially distribute this model in the US.
Another brand-new model from an XHDATA-related brand, the "Radiwow" R-108, looks to be a clone of the Tecsun PL-310ET but powered by the now-ubiquitous BL-5C flat LiIon pack formerly used in many Nokia cellphones.

Radiwow-R-108-1600-kHz-AM-Dial-e1549543307547.jpg

Last edited:

5S8Zh5

Flashlight Enthusiast
Retekess PR12 arrived today. Amazing sound for the size. Tail stands nicely. Mine'll be used mostly for mp3 playing. Volume operation is tricky, as that is used for (mp3) next file duties, so you have to hold and let go where you want it to land. Best to set it and forget it lol.

5S8Zh5

Flashlight Enthusiast
Listening to my (now all black lol) DT-800. Got the light turned OFF, and am ignoring the RDS scroll lol. Great little portable with nice sound.

:)

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
The last radios made in the US were from 1969.

Interesting SH and I wasn't aware of that. So sad. That brings back memories of 1969! I was in the Marine Corps back then and our air transporting unit based in Okinawa were taking troops and supplies into and out of V.N.

^ am performance.

Ah, I see. Wouldn't make much difference up here in the land of one AM station and maybe a couple extras on a good night. 😄

5S8Zh5

Flashlight Enthusiast
^ am performance.

Ah, I see. Wouldn't make much difference up here in the land of one AM station and maybe a couple extras on a good night. 

of course i didn't really give it a fair chance - a more correct answer would be buyers remorse. i'm trying to only get radios that i'll use and for some reason the V-115 didn't fit.

That brings back memories of 1969! I was in the Marine Corps back then and our air transporting unit based in Okinawa were taking troops and supplies into and out of V.N.

i was on several ships out of japan and we always pulled in to okinawa - a nice tropical spot! PELELIU made port calls to White Beach all the time.

Last edited:

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
I mentions a few days ago I would try to post a quick audio sample of the PR12, I'm a little late but work has kept me pretty busy.