Smaller than AAA light

Etsu

Enlightened
Yeah, the Preon P0 is a great AAA light. Very compact, and I find the high mode just right. 25 lumens is quite a bit for the intended purpose of the light... close up usage. I find the moonlight mode too low for my tastes, but if you have better eyes it may be fine. The titanium version is called Atom A0, I think. It uses a XPG, which gives a bit more brightness, but it's also quite a bit more expensive.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agree on the p0 moon mode. It,s a little to dim for most of my keychain tasks. It was the dim moon mode that made me put the dqg driver into the p0. Mutch better when the lo mode in the p0 got bumped to 5 lumens with the dqg driver. And the moonmode in the dqg looked better with tir optic to focus the 0,25 lumens. Cant swap that easy between the new models of the p0 and dqg.

The 60 lumen high was not impressive at all vs the stock 25, hard to tell the difference in a mule head. The beam is too wide, the extra lumens gets spread out. I think 25 might be a sweetspot between battery life and precived brightness. I felt that the 60 lumen high mode in the p0 gave only a tiny bit more light. And it cant justify getting under half the runtime.

Got tains ti p0 with a nichia hi cri led. It's strange, because i think the moonmode from tain's p0 is way brighter than the stock p0.:thinking:

Etsu

Enlightened
It was the dim moon mode that made me put the dqg driver into the p0. Mutch better when the lo mode in the p0 got bumped to 5 lumens with the dqg driver.

The 60 lumen high was not impressive at all vs the stock 25, hard to tell the difference in a mule head. The beam is too wide, the extra lumens gets spread out. I think 25 might be a sweetspot between battery life and precived brightness. I felt that the 60 lumen high mode in the p0 gave only a tiny bit more light. And it cant justify getting under half the runtime.

With your 60 lumen mod, do you worry about the LED getting too hot, and possibly causing premature wear? I find that even at the standard 25 lumens, it gets pretty warm. The light is so small, there's very little to dissipate heat.

Got tains ti p0 with a nichia hi cri led. It's strange, because i think the moonmode from tain's p0 is way brighter than the stock p0.:thinking:

I think moonlight brightness tends to be pretty variable among lights. Probably hard to get consistent, given the low currents used. Also, on the P0, the output (at least on moonlight) doesn't appear to be regulated. It's significantly dimmer on an old battery, than a fresh one.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
With your 60 lumen mod, do you worry about the LED getting too hot, and possibly causing premature wear? I find that even at the standard 25 lumens, it gets pretty warm. The light is so small, there's very little to dissipate heat.
No worries regarding heat. It's a stock dqg put into a preon p0. They are pretty mutch 100% identical buildt. Hard to tell the led/driverboards apart. The led is directly mounted on the mpcb/driverboard. the led/driverboard is popped into a treaded brass ring and screwed into the head. This alone shaves off about a cm vs the other aaa flashlights.

One got a tir optic and knurling, the other is 2 mm shorter and a mulehead. That and the different output is the biggest difference between those two lights. You need the dqg version 2 or 3 if you want a brighter preon p0. The latest versions of the dqg iv are glued and almost impossilbe to open.

kooter

Enlightened
Not been around in a while Norm, didn't realize Lummi had gone down the pan in this way. Very sad.