Smallest 1 x AAA clicky?

jbrett14

Enlightened
It seems I am in the same boat as recDNA. Two modes is all I need. Heck, I will even take just ONE. Keep it simple. Closest light I had was the MicroStream but it's not bright enough, and it seems one could be made a bit smaller.

Meanwhile, I am going through my dozen Thrunites, which, one by one, are all having that problem with the twisty UI. Not sure what light I will turn to when the last of them fails.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doesn't tick all your boxes but Fenix has released the LD02. It's AAA, it has clicky. Not XP-G2 though and 3 modes but it is short at 7.6cm and light 16g (without battery I presume).

recDNA

Flashaholic
When the flashlight is tiny, it's not convenient to click the tail swtich.

A twisty is never convenient. I have no problem with a clicky. The smaller the better. I'm hoping for much more than 100 lumens.

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
....If they were produced again and $60 it would be a perfect fit, but I understand your argument....

I have found it curious that this niche market has been apparently ignored for so long :thinking:

There is obviously some ongoing demand for a small, programmable, electronic clicky switch, AAA-based (multi-chemistry, 0.8-4.2v) quality torch, since vintage LF2XTs still trade at multiples of their ~$60 original release price.

Virtually every other subset of the flashlight market seems to have experienced intense and increasing competition ... throwers, flooders, 18650-based, CR123A-based, multi-emitters, HID, "tactical" models, etc, etc.

About the only other "neglected" area might be CR2-based lights, but I understand why these are not so popular.

One would think that the advances since the LF2XT-era (in LEDs, drivers, microprocessors, etc) would allow for producing an even more versatile and powerful AAA torch, at a price easily supported by the current market.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I have found it curious that this niche market has been apparently ignored for so long :thinking:

There is obviously some ongoing demand for a small, programmable, electronic clicky switch, AAA-based (multi-chemistry, 0.8-4.2v) quality torch, since vintage LF2XTs still trade at multiples of their ~$60 original release price.

Virtually every other subset of the flashlight market seems to have experienced intense and increasing competition ... throwers, flooders, 18650-based, CR123A-based, multi-emitters, HID, "tactical" models, etc, etc.

About the only other "neglected" area might be CR2-based lights, but I understand why these are not so popular.

One would think that the advances since the LF2XT-era (in LEDs, drivers, microprocessors, etc) would allow for producing an even more versatile and powerful AAA torch, at a price easily supported by the current market.

I bet Oveready could do it!

BTW, CR2 li ion would be nice too.

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
There have been some nice AAA lights recently (e.g. Tain, Dark Sucks), but they've all been twisties. A programable, electronic clicky that could handle multible chemistries would really fill a gap and could be priced to make it worthwhile.

Edit: The latest DQG AAA reverse clicky is OK, but it doesn't tick all the boxes. I'm still waiting.

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
There have been some nice AAA lights recently (e.g. Tain, Dark Sucks), but they've all been twisties. A programable, electronic clicky that could handle multible chemistries would really fill a gap and could be priced to make it worthwhile.

Edit: The latest DQG AAA reverse clicky is OK, but it doesn't tick all the boxes. I'm still waiting.

Yes!

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Tain AAA Ottavino is, so far, my favorite AAA. Ti with beautiful knurling and a trit. Great UI - tighten to off, loosen to L and keep going to H. Easy one-handed operation. Almost easier than a clicky, but no momentary. But it only takes an Eneloop and isn't programable.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I don't care about programmability (though nice) but clicky is a must for me. There are dozens of nice twisties. No interest in them in this thread.

jupello

Enlightened
How about the "Mini AAA Cree XP-G2 R5 CW/NW stainless steel"?
9(5).jpg