Suggest SMJLED PR2 hosts?

Empath

Flashaholic
x-ray said:
So far I've had best results with the Energizer Hard Case flashlight:

There must have been a change in that flashlight. I've got one, but the polarity is reversed. So, the SMJLED doesn't work in it at all.

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
Empath said:
There must have been a change in that flashlight. I've got one, but the polarity is reversed. So, the SMJLED doesn't work in it at all.

I wonder what would make them reverse the polarity? It would not effect the standard incandescent bulb so seems pretty pointless.

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have tested them in quite a few lights (including some of the above) and have found that the Everready 2D at walmart that costs $1.68 for the light and two heavy duty batteries is a very nice choice for the money. It has alot of throw and a really nice smooth flood which is quite bright as well.

The other light I am using is a 54 cent (yes 54 freaking cents) light that I bought at a local flea market/tool shop. It has a fauceted reflector and has a much nicer beam than the Rayovac Industrial.

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
DonShock said:
I really like mine in the 2D Rayovac Industrial lights, $5 at Walmart. They have a RYG warning LED system to let you know the batteries are getting low. The beam is a good center spot for moderate throw and good usable side spill. And since the bulb mount is in the body and not the head, you can remove the reflector and use it in candle mode to light up the entire room.

I have one of these too and really like it. I was just hoping you could use a 1 watt PR, but I don't think it would work considering the base holding it is plastic or am I completely wrong and this would be feasible?

Does the SMJLED emit as much light as the stock incan bulb?

PJ

Enlightened
+1 on the Energizer Hard Case 2D flashlight as a host. The beam on this has an almost identical shape as a Streamlight ProPolymer Luxeon 4AA, kind of a 3 stage beam with a defined center hotspot. I'd estimate it to be about 2/3 as bright as the SL PP but still has decent throw, runtime should be in days. It isn't a small light but with its squared shape it ain't rolling away on you. I found a few at one OfficeDepot store on clearance for $3.04 each a few months ago.

Another one that works pretty good is the Duracell Procell 2D light. I picked one up for $1 at a local electronics supplier. By the time I got back they were all gone. It is a plastic light but has better, square cut threads on the head so it stays together and plastic ears molded up alongside the switch for some protection. I have seen them online for about 2 bucks.

sniper

Enlightened
I just got two yesterday, upon my return from an Alaskan criuse. :) I took my MiniMag SMJLED 2AA, (VERY useful) my Leatherman Micra, and my Swiss Army Knife with no problems at all, at all .

I grabbed my wife's yellow plastic 2 D no name light, and turned it on, to see if the batteries were still with us. Dim, dim, dim, and yellowish, of course!
I put the SMJLED in, (my kind of mod!) and WOW! all the difference in the world! Much brighter, and nice tint.

If I could have done something similar to my Streamlight Twin Task, I'd probably still have it.

I quick took it out before my wife saw it and wanted it. I'm sending it to a friend who has a 2 cell Maglight that really needs a shot in the arm. I will put the second one in a G.I. angle head flashlight.

Does anybody know which of the faceted reflectors can easily replace the smooth G.I one? It looks like it ought to be an easy swap. But, I have said that before, with mixed reusults.

Spectrum

Newly Enlightened
On your link:

http://www.energizer.com/products/flashlights/flashlight.asp?cat=1

I have a PR base SMJLED in an AA Energizer work light, and it is great.
Also have another one in an 84c Walmart Value Bright 2 AA light.

I think the small AA lights are perfect hosts, because the size seems appropriate for the output level, and they still have a very long runtime. Also, the beam is very white - between a spot and flood, which is ideal for any indoor application. The throw is adequate to light your way outside. These are great reliable lights that are ideal for the glovebox, or to keep in a briefcase or laptop bag on trips. Total investment under ten bucks for the Wally World version.

filibuster

Enlightened
I wanted a little more emergency light longevity than the advertised 60 minutes in my "Garrity Rechargeable Flashlight and Automatic Night Light" so I swapped in the SMJLED in place of the stock incandescent which after testing I found it would give me close to 7 hours of usable light with the two included 600mAh Sanyo NiCad's. The beam in this thing was surprisingly descent as a flashlight. However, in this application a tight beam might not be what is needed. I'll likely replace the NiCads with some older NiMH I have to increase the runtime too. I picked a couple of these lights up at Radio Shack on clearance for $5 each.
preparednesscenter_1903_211738676

Last edited:

pizzaman

Enlightened
I have two favorite hosts for the SMJLED PR2 bulbs.

I have plugged these little gems into all my 2D military anglehead flashlights. These are rugged hosts, but have mediocre reflectors, with yellow beams. I popped in a SMJLED PR2 bulb and put clear contact paper over the lens. I now have a durable emergency light that will have loooong runtime. It has a nice soft flood and is perfect for providing a bit of ambient light to a room if the power is out.

My second favorite host is "any" light powered by 2AA cells. The little 2AA flashlights are such dismal performers. I decided to use 2AA lights as hosts for emergency kits due to the low cost of the hosts and availability of AA lithuims (for long term storage) and back-up use with alkaline AAs (scavenging from other battery powered devices during an emergency). The beams of these little fellows is yellow to start, falling quickly to orange. The SMJLED PR2 bulbs make the little 2AA hosts a good emergency option. They are brighter, whiter, and have superiour runtime compared with incandescent bulbs. I will be slowly upgrading all my 2AA emergency kit lights with the SMJLED PR2 bulbs.

For me the SMJLED PR2 bulbs make 2AA hosts decent lights and turn 2C/2D lights into long running emergency tools.

For my 2C/2D mags I will be upgrading to the new MagLEDs for the superb overall performance.

Good luck, TR

theamazingrando

Newly Enlightened
I received a few SMJLED PR2s in the mail yesterday. I immediately popped one in a 2D Mag...and I was surprised by how disappointing the result was. The Mag parabolic reflector really is a great (for a cheap piece of plastic!), and it focuses the beam too tightly. I don't look at the SMJ as a high horsepower throw light, and I would prefer a wider hotspot--or at least a good corona. Focusing the beam wider rsults almost immediately in a true doughnut effect. I don't mind a wide beam with some holes or artifats, but this is pretty unsable. So, the Mag isn't really it for me.

I bought one of the yellow Rayovac industrial 2D lights at Walmart ($5), as suggested above, and it is a nice host--I was pleasantly surprised! It has the built in battery meter, which may or may not be useful, but it sure is neat. The body seems durable with good anti-roll features adn a flip-out plastic ring on the tail to hang it up or attach a lanyard. It has a spare bulb holder in the head (but does not include a spare bulb), and the faceted reflector gives the SMJ a nice, smooth, usable beam (far nicer than the stock incan!). The bezel even has ridges that allow you to see light leakae if you "headstand" it while switched on. Best of all you can remove the head for a very nice flood--and it tailstands for a true "candle mode." For less than $12 total, this is a great light!

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw a post in one of Lambda's SMJLED PR threads (cant' find it again) where someone had a host light where the PR bulb had a spring wrapped around it. It did poorly with the SMJLED bulb until he removed the spring, after which it immediately became much brighter.

I tried the same thing with my cheap 2AA host which also had a spring wrapped around the bulb base. AMAZING. Without the spring, the SMJLED output increased A LOT until it was equal or a little better to the Tec-20 with the SMJLED. The beam's still artifacty, but quite bright now - total output near my L1P using fresh alkies. Whatever that spring did, the SMJLED does a lot better without it!

I cannot recommend these things too highly. A $6.67 each, EVERYONE should be laying in a supply - they are just too useful and fun for words...

Last edited:

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally, I have tried these bulbs mainly in 2D Maglites and I think they give excellent performance. I think it boils down to preference and what you like in a flashlight. I've always been a fan of Maglites and will try anything in them to make them more "high tech" or perform better. Sure you get a really tight spot beam in a Maglite with a SMJLED, but that is about the same as you would get with Maglite's own 3 Watt and Terralux/Diamond's 3 Watt Luxeon LED upgrade modules. All of the above give a tight spot with a fair amount of spill and I don't mind that.

The only other light I've tried these bulbs in so far is a Coleman 2D Widebeam flashlight which comes with a blue tinted Xenon bulb. I never actually turned it on with the stock bulb as I immediatly dropped in a SMJLED. What I ended up with is nice wide short distance flood light. I suppose that is what is was designed for as it would basically light up a wide trail or walkpath about 6 ft in front of you--kind of neat if you ask me.

I've got some more on order and plan on trying them with other different flashlights when I get the chance. And yes, I am a flashlightholic!!

rider

Newly Enlightened
WNG said:
I received my PR SMJLEDs today. Wow, great tint and can be exploited very well in some flashlights, and be underwhelming in others.

It didn't work well in my intended host, a Panasonic Kryptalite 2D with shallow , faceted reflector. Seems the SMJLED works best in deep reflectors.

I tried a Panasonic Kryptalite 2C with the same results- a massive flood and itty bitty tiny little hotspot with hardly any throw. It looked kind of like the diffuse lighting pattern of an emergency lantern.

I tried a Durabeam 2AA, and the overall output was significantly less, and not helped by the poor reflector of the Durabeam.

I've got a few more hosts to try, but don't have high hopes for most of them.

The color of the SMJLED is nice though...

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*
I put one in my son's 2 AA Dorcy Gel Brite and it worked great. The Dorcy has a faceted reflector and the body should hold up very well to any drops.
Big Lots has the 2 AA Gel Brites for $3. I may have to pick one up for my 3 year old to play with outside.