Suggest SMJLED PR2 hosts?

leduk

Enlightened
Lambda has a moving sale $5.00 each.

How many hosts do you have?:)

Cheers

WNG

Enlightened
I prefer a tight spot from my hosts....and I found another nice host that yields one, with useful spill.
It's a Coleman Outdoor Series 2AA with over-sized reflector. It resembles a 2C light in length, but slightly narrower. It's armored in dark green rubber, with orange accents and orange push button switch. It's water'proof', claims to float.
The reflector is smooth though.
I haven't seen how a SMJLED works in a Mag, but I assume the results are similar.
The large reflector makes the most of its output. Throws quite well.
It cost me $5.60.

These PR2 SMJLEDs are simply fantastic.

Last edited:

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
WNG said:
These PR2 SMJLEDs are simply fantastic.

I agree. I find myself checking out the cheap stuff now just looking for suitable hosts. :laughing:

I have plastic covered. I think it's time for a rubberized host, maybe something that floats as well.

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quick question: Do the SMJLED's come in any different colors? Red, green, etc.

Timson

Enlightened
I'd like to thank leduk for finding the little yellow 47p Tesco flashlights.

These really are perfect for the PR SMJLED .......A bit pricey though :)

Threw caution to the wind and went crazy......Bought two !!

Tim.

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought a mag 2d last night and the smjled works really well in it!

I was hoping to change the lens with either a UCL or a Borofloat. Which do you think would work better in this setup?

Also, would a lens with the LDF on it work better?

EvilLithiumMan

Enlightened
I have some SMJLEDs on order. I'm not exactly sure where they'll end up, but these are the lights I'll try first:

An older model Garrity Tuff Light, an Eveready Contractor and the popular Rayovac Industrial.

3Candidates.jpg

I bought the Eveready Contractor at a Save Big! Save Lots! about two years ago. It has apparently been reincarnated into the 84 cent Walmart special.

Also waiting in the wings is my first flashlight, an almost 50 year old "Ideal" flashlight:

Ideal.jpg

Yes, it's old. Yes, the chrome has long worn off the switch cover. Yes, the 'O' rings are brittle. But it is clean inside and still works. And yes, this is the S.O.B. that started my long time, and now expensive (sigh), fasination with flashlights.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
EvilLithiumMan said:
...the Eveready Contractor...has apparently been reincarnated into the 84 cent Walmart special....
I have an Evererady Contractor - it looks EXACTLY like your picture - and unfortunately, it is not close enough to the 84 cent Walmart special to be useful as a modding host for the Buckalite. The Walmart light has thinner walls and looser inner dimensions than the Eveready (no doubt to save $$) so the Eveready can't be shortened or take CR123s as easily.

Also, my Eveready had a spring wrapped around the PR bulb base which caused the SMJLED PR bulb to work poorly in it. Once I threw the spring away, the SMJLED PR bulb worked fine, except for artifacts in the beam due to the smooth reflector.

Just FYI...

Newuser01

Enlightened
Briefly....Saw a 2 AA no name flash lights in Fry's Electronics. No package, no name for selling for $0.99. Seems to be modable!! Check it out.:naughty:

nerdgineer said:
I have an Evererady Contractor - it looks EXACTLY like your picture - and unfortunately, it is not close enough to the 84 cent Walmart special to be useful as a modding host for the Buckalite. The Walmart light has thinner walls and looser inner dimensions than the Eveready (no doubt to save $$) so the Eveready can't be shortened or take CR123s as easily.

Also, my Eveready had a spring wrapped around the PR bulb base which caused the SMJLED PR bulb to work poorly in it. Once I threw the spring away, the SMJLED PR bulb worked fine, except for artifacts in the beam due to the smooth reflector.

Just FYI...

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found the best host for this bulb today! It is a $1.49 light from Truevalue. It has a smooth center and then is fauceted around the edge. The throw is VERY impressive (more than an L1P), and the flood is very nice as well. I couldn't imagine any host being better.

:rock:

EvilLithiumMan

Enlightened
nerdgineer said:

Just FYI...

Well, I have two of them. I first one I have already modded into a poor man's G2. I removed the negative brass contact ring at the back then used a rattail file to thin out the tube enough to take the CR123As. I put in two CR123A cells and a slug. Then I installed a Surefire P60 bulb. I did have to wrap some foil around the P60 to make up for it's smaller diameter, but it works. By the way, it did take a long time to thin out the tube by hand, but it is doable.

CheapG2.jpg

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
Newuser01 said:
Briefly....Saw a 2 AA no name flash lights in Fry's Electronics. No package, no name for selling for $0.99. Seems to be modable!! Check it out.:naughty:

I got a .99 cent light from Fry's just like you said. It was a Brinkman glow in the dark 2 AA light with a smooth reflector. It has excelent throw and some usable side spill with the pr base SMJLED but does not appear to be modable with one CR123. I like it so much I don't want to destroy it. I want all my lights to be glow in the dark now.

Oh, it's original bulb was fairly bright and white also. I'm going back to get more soon.

Newuser01

Enlightened
carbine15 said:
I got a .99 cent light from Fry's just like you said. It was a Brinkman glow in the dark 2 AA light with a smooth reflector. It has excelent throw and some usable side spill with the pr base SMJLED but does not appear to be modable with one CR123. I like it so much I don't want to destroy it. I want all my lights to be glow in the dark now.

Oh, it's original bulb was fairly bright and white also. I'm going back to get more soon.

I shoulda pick 1 up. I guess I'm going back and pick up a couple for my 2 pr bulbs....!!!

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
nerdgineer said:

Strange, my Eveready Contractor has a faceted reflector, just like a ROV Industrial. I had heard about the spring on the bulb being a problem, and tried removing it, which makes it a little tricky to center the bulb, but it did not seem any brighter. On the other hand, the overall output seems on par with other hosts, just toward the floodier side, but very smooth due to the faceted reflector.

BTW, the switch is pretty light to the touch on these, but the tailcap can be unscrewed a bit for a lock-out feature, without coming too close to having it come off, it turns on several rotations. It also can be backed off just a little and used as a momentary on feature! Wish they still came in black, that looks cool.

Hondo