Surefire Aviator 2017 thread

AK350X

Newly Enlightened
Once I work my investment out of mine I will try rechargeable batteries more I think. More worried about that colored LED than the white.

Woodpuppy

Newly Enlightened
Cool light! I need to get my hands on one. I've loved the idea of a selector ring that stays put and preserves your last setting, and then control on/off with a clicky. Still love my old U2, and still want a Kroma. Just can't stomach $300 for any light.

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
@Woodpuppy
The Aviator is a great light at all. It is very small and is perfect as EDC. The Kroma MILSPEC is also a great light, but like most of the 2xCR123 lights it is at least for me too large for the pocket. But for the belt of in a belt Holster it is perfect. Since the Kroma is also discontinued by Surefire it is also geting more difficuilt finding a well priced Kroma.

BugoutBoys

Enlightened
Cool light! I need to get my hands on one. I've loved the idea of a selector ring that stays put and preserves your last setting, and then control on/off with a clicky. Still love my old U2, and still want a Kroma. Just can't stomach $300 for any light.
I am on the same pages you! I Finally just said screw it and got one. Haven't looked back since!

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder if it is going to be moddable? Would be great to replace the primary led by a high cri daylight something and the secondary by a high cri 3k something

BugoutBoys

Enlightened
Re: Surefire Aviator release date?

This is probably the only new SF that has caught my interest... so far.

Can it run on 16340 (3.7v)?

update is I found out it should run on a K2 LPF123a because it's 3.2v and Surefire even sells them! :D I just bought two!

EDIT:
Week 1 with no issues on the K2 LPF123a's
They settle around 3.4V-ish and I've used the colored and white LED many times!:cool:

Last edited:

Appletz

Newly Enlightened
What is the best product to lubricate the track of the twisty LED changing mechanism?

Gadgetman7

Enlightened
Just got an amber one and had to send it back for flicker on low amber setting. Disappointing but I hope the turn around won't be too long.

nimdabew

Enlightened
I have an A2 aviator incandescent light that I use while flying, but every time I see a new flashlight I want to get it. Is there any logical reason to buy one of these when I already have my A2 and a Note core SRT3 that I also use for flying? Someone needs to push me over the edge, and with the small problems I am seeing in the thread, I will need something more than "just do it" to make me make the purchase.

BugoutBoys

Enlightened
I have an A2 aviator incandescent light that I use while flying, but every time I see a new flashlight I want to get it. Is there any logical reason to buy one of these when I already have my A2 and a Note core SRT3 that I also use for flying? Someone needs to push me over the edge, and with the small problems I am seeing in the thread, I will need something more than "just do it" to make me make the purchase.

Personally I love this light so much more than the A2 and the A2 LED. The added brightness as well as the mode switching and rotating bezel just sell it for me. I've got three of them because I love them so much. One for each bag and another for EDC. It's just a fantastic all-around light to have especially for night flights. The User Interface is definitely different but I think it's a lot better personally.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally I love this light so much more than the A2 and the A2 LED. The added brightness as well as the mode switching and rotating bezel just sell it for me. I've got three of them because I love them so much. One for each bag and another for EDC. It's just a fantastic all-around light to have especially for night flights. The User Interface is definitely different but I think it's a lot better personally.

How many of the three that you own have the flicker issue?

mbw_151

Enlightened
Has anyone tested the White low output and runtime? A runtime of 20 hours at 5 lumens seems low, either the output or the runtime could be higher. I would expect something that worked out to 300 lumen-hours for a current technology emitter with single 123 cell and a reasonably efficient circuit.

Lumen83

Enlightened
I purchased the red aviator, and I did have the flicker issue on low white. I returned the light. I just wasn't happy with the beam profile or the brightness levels of the red. The low red seemed to be too bright for me. I like the low red of the Kroma for sneaking around and preserving my night adapted vision. I was hoping the aviator would be similar. But, it is just too bright on low. The high red is actually kind of nice. Being able to light up objects in red light at a distance is much better with the aviator high red than the kroma high red. But, I feel that the beam has too much throw and not enough spill to it. Seems to me that most of the usefulness of the red light would require more of a spill type of beam profile. I do like the brightness and beam profile on high white in such a small light. I am just not sure I want to spend that kind of money on a flashlight that seems to be very flawed.

mk2rocco

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can some please advise if the aviator Head will work on a Malkoff cr123 body? I purchased a head and I'm trying to find a suitable body for it.