Surefire E1B MaxVision discussion

Lucky Duck

Enlightened
Just...great. I liked the 110 lumen E1B.
I really liked the 200 lumen EB1.
Now...400 lumens?! And, not cheap.:sigh:

Same here on the Backups. Hopefully the quality will be customary Surefire & worth the (high) $$$! Am planning on this one & a new Aviator.

Kamerat

Enlightened
Isn't this just SF copying Elzetta and Malkoff? Broader beam for close range, two brightness levels, 123 battery. Will be interesting to see side by side comparison. I love my Elzetta lights, but the beam is kind of square.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
They seem to have realized that the TIR optic, while useful in some applications, absolutely blows for close to medium work.

I find it somewhat amusing that they didn't start looking at orange peel-esque reflectors until they could come up with something they could patent ("MaxVision").

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it too early to ask about regulation of the 400 lumen output? Is it flat, stepped, or does the output just run down hill like the EB1? I hope this isn't another light built to look good against the ANSI spec for runtime.

More like the E1D graph, makes sense for them to just use the same circuit, just pop a XPL-HD instead of a XP-G2.

DumboRAT

Enlightened
Can someone please discuss how the switch operates on this one. :) Is it a press-through, or a debounce? That it comes on in high makes me think the latter.

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can someone please discuss how the switch operates on this one. :) Is it a press-through, or a debounce? That it comes on in high makes me think the latter.

The two-stage(press through low for high) switches seem to be gone.
Like the EB1 and E1D, they have clickies and come on high first.

Agile54

Newly Enlightened
While selfish admittedly, i was glad they went hi/lo as the light is an ID tool for use w/ my EDC pistol/s.

DAN92

Enlightened
I received today my E1B MV in a neutral cardboard box with the flashlight in a plastic bag and the instructions surefire.

I think it's a pre-series model.

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also received my E1B MV today. The flashlight also was in the "Brown box" with instructions, Surefire sticker, Piece of paper with other Surefire products and also a battery warning paper. The beam itself of my E1B MV is not green in any way, for me it is White / cream White. I'm happy with the E1B MV. In a wall distance of ~30 cm there is no visible hot spot anymore, like the EB1 has. The E1B MV is definately a low distance light (as advertised). I like it :)

Btw. I do not think the E1B MV is a pre series light because of the Brown box, my light has a Serial #A008xx.

DAN92

Enlightened
The beam itself of my E1B MV is not green in any way, for me it is White / cream White.
A neutral white but I see a little greenish.

Btw. I do not think the E1B MV is a pre series light because of the Brown box, my light has a Serial #A008xx.
I would have preferred a black / red packaging as usual, the serial number of mine is A001xx.

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
A neutral white but I see a little greenish.
The beam of my E1B MV is definately not greenish. The center of the beam is a little bit more yellow than the outer of the beam.

I would have preferred a black / red packaging as usual, the serial number of mine is A001xx.
I agree with you, but at the end the packaging will be stored in the Basement. Therefore I don't mind... :D

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
How does the beam profile look at a distance? Say, from one end of the room to the other?

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is looking pretty good. I like my EB1, but I'm not so fond of the TIR spot beam on that light or my E1L for close work. The E1B MV reflector, I think, would be better in this regard. Looks as though I will be seeing one of these in my near future.

And now they've gone and brought out a single cell "Aviator". :eek: I'm going to have to sell a kidney or something.

nosuchagency

Newly Enlightened
got one scheduled for delivery on thursday. been carrying an e1d since the day they came out, but if this one lives up to expectations, it's a pretty big deal finally getting opportunity to change out primary edc with yet another sf.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just can't get past 400 lumens - if I wanted a tactical light, I'd carry a dedicated tactical light. Give me a solid, respectable 45 ~ 65 lumens for hours on end.

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just can't get past 400 lumens - if I wanted a tactical light, I'd carry a dedicated tactical light. Give me a solid, respectable 45 ~ 65 lumens for hours on end.

Not fond of the E1L-a?

Maybe if SF bumped low on the E1B-MV to maybe 20-30 lumens, it would be a less ridiculous mode spacing.
IMHO low should be 5-15% of high, on a two mode light.
I'm fond of my E1D, but sometimes wish low was brighter.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Not fond of the E1L-a?

Maybe if SF bumped low on the E1B-MV to maybe 20-30 lumens, it would be a less ridiculous mode spacing.
IMHO low should be 5-15% of high, on a two mode light.
I'm fond of my E1D, but sometimes wish low was brighter.
I 100% agree with this and have always thought that while multiple level lights can be well served with even much lower low levels than 5 lumens, too wide in the mode spacing can be nearly as frustrating as too narrowly spaced levels.

Still love the E1L too.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the older E1L - with a diffuser cap, precisely because, as others have noted, the TIR optic is sub-optimal for close quarters work. I never bought the E1L-A because it only upped the output and the bezel was incompatible with the e-series filters I already had, so I gained nothing that I wanted.

If not for that TIR optic, the E1L would be excellent for the vast majority of my casual lighting needs. Which is not to say I wouldn't buy an updated version, if the improvements were of practical benefit to me.