Surefire EB1 now 300 lumens...

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I want to see a review before deciding if I'm going to pull the trigger on this or not.
Probably will not buy this if the throw is less.

Throw will definitely be less, as specs show. From 11-12,000cd down to 9,000cd like the E1DL.

Heck, probably the same output curve for both of them too.

Hudson456

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone spotted one of these for sale yet?

I've looked around a lot - and have not found a dealer selling the 300 lumen model yet. Of course you can order direct from Surefire.com and pay MSRP. But it's probably very close, because Ebay has sellers blowing out the stock of 200 lumen EB1's at $109 shipped!

Tempting..... very tempting...

SVT-ROY

Enlightened
If anyone wants to fund the new E1b feel free to sell me your old dusty,dinged up E1D....I lost mine at dinner with the inlaws! Have a heart!

recDNA

Flashaholic
I've looked around a lot - and have not found a dealer selling the 300 lumen model yet. Of course you can order direct from Surefire.com and pay MSRP. But it's probably very close, because Ebay has sellers blowing out the stock of 200 lumen EB1's at $109 shipped!

Tempting..... very tempting...
Yes if you need the narrow high throw beam it is a better light.

Inebriated

Newly Enlightened
The problem with the added lumens is that single primary cell lights cannot hold the max output for very long. It might be 300 lumens for the first 30 seconds, that's about all you would get before the output takes a nose dive. I would rather see a well regulated 200 lumen EB1 than a short burst pocket rocket. The EB1's do have a simple UI, and a bunch of throw on the ones I have personally handled. A surefire E1D led defender is another good option. It's already 300 lumens, and the output decline is not as bad as the EB1's.
They're really defensive-oriented lights, though. Most folks, myself included, carry a defensive light and a utility light. Defensive light, like the gun, just doesn't get used unless it has to. If I get 30 seconds of full power, that's probably about as long as I'm going to need it.

SVT-ROY

Enlightened
They're really defensive-oriented lights, though. Most folks, myself included, carry a defensive light and a utility light. Defensive light, like the gun, just doesn't get used unless it has to. If I get 30 seconds of full power, that's probably about as long as I'm going to need it.

Exactly

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast

What may be good with the new 300 lumen version is that if it's true that it shares the same internals as the E1DL, users get essentially stable output for an hour.

That way, it's not really a high burst for a short time but relatively flat regulation compared to the 200 lumen EB1.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Personally I prefer throw. Perfect regulation isn't important to me.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally I prefer throw. Perfect regulation isn't important to me.

heck I prefer to use a 2 cell light like the E2DL-U if I want tons of output for long periods of time. There is only that much you can get with a 1 primary CR123 TIR light.

It's been so long since the original EB1 came out, that I figured someone else would have made a far superior 1-CR123 TIR light with flat regulation at 200 lumens, like so many of its critics had suggested existed but couldn't find an example of.

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
It's called throw head for mdc

Based on the Malkoff MDC Head, this is the Malkoff Devices 1 CR123 Throw*Head to fit Surefire E series lights and Incandescent M300 Scout lights.* The head is constructed of 6061 T6 aluminum and Type III Hard Black Anodized.* This design utilizes a*tightly focused*TIR Optic for maximum reach.*The Lux at 1 meter is approximately 9,000.* It is an outstanding medium to long range spotter.**The output is approximately*300 measured out the front lumens.*

This head was designed for rugged service from the ground up. *It is fully potted to stand up to rough service and recoil.* This item is Covered by Our Lifetime Warranty.

The input voltage is 2 to 3.2 volts.* It was designed for use with*a single primary 3v CR123 battery.**This will not support standard RCR123 (rechargeable Li-ion) batteries, however LiFePO4 rechargeables will work in this flashlight.* The runtime on one CR123 battery is approximately 45-60 minutes.*It will easily illuminate objects at 350+ feet and will blind opponents within a 150 foot radius. The LED is a Cree XP-L HI.*

Last edited:

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast