SureFire EDC1-DFT and EDC2-DFT

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
This thread is dragging on now, considering that we expected these EDC DFT lights to have been released 12 months ago, however I've just checked the 2023 SF Catalog and there has been a substantial increase in the candela of these two versions. The EDC1-DFT now claims 95,000 candela on an 18350 and the EDC2-DFT now shows 100,000 candela on an 18650!

Screenshots from the 2023 SF catalog below.

Screenshot 2023-04-16 at 11.01.01.png

Screenshot 2023-04-16 at 11.01.22.png

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
BS! more than a year and still no lights...
It's certainly disappointing that SF has a reputation for listing flashlights in their catalogs that never make it to production, I've been waiting 9 years for their R2 Lawman! Perhaps a few lines on their website explaining why things don't come to fruition would help their customers understand the issues.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
In firearms circles, Optics Planet is known to straight up lie about in stock. Stuff will say "in stock" then shortly after ordering, shipment ETA will be weeks. General advice is to buy somewhere else.

A lot of places are like that nowadays. They make you pay their markup, then order it and make you wait for it. Botach is another one famous for this for over twenty years, not to mention a lot of other far more questionable things they and the owners have done. If a place doesn't have it in stock, there's no reason not to cut out that middle man or middle men.

Even worse, there are a lot of websites out there set up to look legit based out of other countries that will gladly take your money and never deliver what you paid for, keep the money and you're out of luck. I had that experience with paypal once where the seller gave them a fake tracking number that wasn't even to my address and paypal sided with them, so PP's "buyer protection" was not any good what so ever.

Last edited:

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had same experience where a seller gave false tracking info.. PP arbitration sided with me. I received money back, no questions asked, it just took a few weeks.

The same Seller has since been banned from selling Amz..

However, still viewing the rip-off on eB. That site is "buyer beware" which we all should be aware of by now.

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
eBays has a new payment system, in which buyers send the money to eBay, which then holds it until delivery of the item has been confirmed through a tracking number. eBay almost always sides with buyers, which is great for customer but very frustrating for sellers. Ive seen more examples of buyers ripping off sellers (usually by denying the item ever arrived) then vise versa recently.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
This thread is dragging on now, considering that we expected these EDC DFT lights to have been released 12 months ago, however I've just checked the 2023 SF Catalog and there has been a substantial increase in the candela of these two versions. The EDC1-DFT now claims 95,000 candela on an 18350 and the EDC2-DFT now shows 100,000 candela on an 18650!

This was already revealed before Shot Show back in January when they were showing the 95K and 100K lights off in their display booth.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
In firearms circles, Optics Planet is known to straight up lie about in stock. Stuff will say "in stock" then shortly after ordering, shipment ETA will be weeks. General advice is to buy somewhere else. Case in point, they recently had a sale on a 1600rd pack of crappy plinking .22LR ammo for $56. They ended up shipping people 400 rd boxes instead, and when people complained, they said it was a typograpical error and the price was for a 400 rd box. Well that would be believable if there wasn't a separate listing for the 400rd box ($35). Avoid Optics Planet if possible...
There's just something weird in general going on with that website. I've bought twice from them. Both were odd disasters! The last time, after tracking my order, it turns out the in-stock item really was in-stock. They shipped it out to literally some unknown address at the very Eastern-most border of the state they are located in. At which point in time, some dude named "Roberto" signed for it. But then shipped it back to Optics Planet. In which it sat for 3 weeks. No email from them. No re-shipment of my order. I just called my Credit Card company and did a credit card charge-back.

No clue what is going on with them. I just refuse to buy from them ever again. But of course, some of the biggest shills on YouTube happily accept free products from them to test out. And always give glowing endorsements. Thankfully Optics Planet sells nothing you can't buy on other, far more reputable websites.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are just another clown outfit with a drop-ship online store front that couldn't care less. They have listings on their site for items from manufactures that have been discontinued for 15 years just for that extra footprint on the web for advertising purposes.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
They have listings on their site for items from manufactures that have been discontinued for 15 years just for that extra footprint on the web for advertising purposes.
I actually appreciate that, use it as an archive. It has happened that I didn't know what some Surefire product was, for instance, Zsomething, whatever, and an Optics Planet product page will show up in search results, and I'll immediately understand what it was. I've never seen them claim to have something in stock that was discontinued; usually it says discontinued.

One of the problems with the web, and Zebralight, for instance, is an offender, and so is Surefire... is that product pages are removed, and if archive.org doesn't have a snapshot, or if does but the images weren't scraped, you're SOL for figuring something out or trying to show someone something. There's absolutely no reason to remove a product page or change its address. Space is very cheap, and these things don't take up any space anyway.

So whatever else Optics Planet does that sucks, leaving up old product pages certainly is not one of them. I wish that was a standard practice across the web, so that 50 years from now you could see a product that was discontinued in 2005. As it is, things disappear and people forget, and nothing is more frustrating than partially remembering something and not being able to figure it out. Removing product pages is basically gaslighting.

Last edited:

mebiuspower

Newly Enlightened

Screenshots from the 2023 SF catalog below.

View attachment 42673
View attachment 42674

They were able to improve on the output. The EDC1/2-DFT uses the same heads as Turbo (Mini) Scout Light Pros.

I was told ETA for EDC1 is mid-June but I have been lied to before also...

Boltgun

Newly Enlightened
One of the Cdn Distributors has ordered, and is expecting June delivery.....unfortunately they didn't order 2 cell version.

Boltgun