SureFire EDC1-DFT and EDC2-DFT

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didnt know the furys burned out their LEDs.
Not all but the Fury DFT models are the first Surefire light that had "more" problems. If I remember correctly there was at first a tailcap problem, later were reports of fried LEDs. Also this forum has some posts reporting this.

Unfortunately I do not know if surefire did some changes in these models to prevent future problems. And since I am outside the US I do not have the joy on sending a light back to Surefire for repair / exchange if there is a higher rate of defects.

But there are also a lot of people having no problems at all.

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
Not all but the Fury DFT models are the first Surefire light that had "more" problems. If I remember correctly there was at first a tailcap problem, later were reports of fried LEDs. Also this forum has some posts reporting this.

Unfortunately I do not know if surefire did some changes in these models to prevent future problems. And since I am outside the US I do not have the joy on sending a light back to Surefire for repair / exchange if there is a higher rate of defects.

But there are also a lot of people having no problems at all.
I had picked up a Fury DFT recently, I guess we shall see how it holds up. I was always apprehensive about lights that promote high lumens, as they dont last long. Luckily Surefire has a great warranty and I have broken quite a few of their lights (my fault) and they still fixed it.

rrego

Enlightened
Happend to mine. Replacement took about 6 weeks.
Happened to my Fury DFT (that I picked up on eB for $40 in pristine (basically "new" condition) - maybe it burned up on the previous owner before me and just wanted to sell off his replacement 😆).

My P2X Fury Defender's LED also burned up.

I called Surefire for a RMA on both during COVID (March 2020) and never got around to sending them in.

I better call and check to make sure my RMA is still good 3 years later 🤣🤣

Monocrom

Flashaholic
How angry and intense do you like your flashlights to be?

"SureFire Fury line, so furious they destroy their own LEDs by burning them out!"

Ideal if you prefer your flashlights to be violently masochistic. 😁

thermal guy

Flashaholic
when SF stopped making lights for the outdoorsmen I lost interest. Really like the older stuff but nothing new really gets me excited. these two Kinda did but…..

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Outdoorsman lights were great. I have a few ones. The 1 CR123 Aviator is also Not that Bad. But the stuff that was coming after this light we're Not that interesting. The News announced DFT lights were sounding interesting.... But they are not coming, the wait is too Long... :(

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
In stock at Rifle Gear.

Link
Although I'm not personally interested in these lights, that's very good news to me. Now we can see who actually has an interest in obtaining one of them, and this (now 21 page) thread can make the turn from being solely about their lack of availability, to finally getting down to addressing the lights themselves. I will be interested in that, simply as an 'interested' flashaholic, even though not for my personal purchase. (They aren't just beyond my flashlight budget - they're WAY beyond it:)). That aside it's always good to get the real facts on the ground about new products in the industry, as this company's products are somewhat influential. In their 'vaporware' stage the discussions quickly became rather uninteresting, but when the discussion turns to reality, it will be of far more general interest.

Not sure if these are meant to compete directly with the Cloud Defensive EDC & HC or the Modlite PLHv2 and OKW, but it'll be interesting to see the beam shot comparisons and runtime/output graphs.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
...and runtime/output graphs
Yes, and especially since this manufacturer doesn't seem inclined to provide this info in their product documentation! (which does not speak well of them IMO). Many others do, and SF needs to step up to the competition (although I imagine in their minds, they may not feel that they have any competition, which I'd have to say indicates a bit of arrogance on their part). At least the 'product testers' out there will be providing what they seem unwilling to, so we'll get that info through those channels.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm hoping that the pocket clip is removable, and that the LED doesn't have the Fury doughnut hole problem. Candela spec looks mighty good, hope it tests out to be accurate spec. I notice "price creep" here, though. Pricier than the Fury DFT, with no track record yet. I'm gonna wait and let someone else be the guinea pig here. Maybe, when it is a proven winner, I'll bite on a sale.

ETA: What?! It's only 550 Lumens!!

akula88

Enlightened
From what I saw, it is priced lower compared to the Modlite competition.

The EDC-DFT is geared for high throw application. I saw a few beamshots from r/edit posts. While overall lumens is relatively low, it's a pencil-beam and throws like 100K Lux. LED used is said to be the Osram CSLNM1.TG, a 1mm LED, which are design for throw.

The WML version had been out for a while, so I have seen a number of reviews at YT and it's been holding on its own and even outshining the competitors.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Not sure if these are meant to compete directly with the Cloud Defensive EDC & HC or the Modlite PLHv2 and OKW, but it'll be interesting to see the beam shot comparisons and runtime/output graphs.
Trust me, SureFire does not give a toss about those companies or those models. SureFire R&D being what it is, they're concentrating on their lights.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast

The EDC-DFT is geared for high throw application. I saw a few beamshots from r/edit posts. While overall lumens is relatively low, it's a pencil-beam and throws like 100K Lux. LED used is said to be the Osram CSLNM1.TG, a 1mm LED, which are design for throw.

The WML version had been out for a while, so I have seen a number of reviews at YT and it's been holding on its own and even outshining the competitors.
Hmmmm, we'll see. Time will tell. My mother was originally from Missouri, so there's a little bit of "Show me" in me. ;):giggle:

Monocrom

Flashaholic

If that's true, then SureFire created their first LEP.
Meh, I've got my Lumintop Thor 3 for that. I'm good.
Need a solid combination of both throw and flood.
Not a one-trick pony. The Thor 3 was just to round out my collection.