SUREFIRE EDCL-2T

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Well after however long its been since I started carrying this edcl2 I have changed the pocket clip as how I was carrying it has poked holes in my jeans. I decided to go to the old one way short clip and carry it bezel up as to keep the bezel out of my pocket. I would like to be able to get the tactician spyderco clip eventually. Only issue is now I will have to figure out a new lanyard attachment.

Nostalia too. Probably takes on a retro look.

Question: why swap clips? Why not use the two way bezel up? Because the shorty 'clamps' better?

I suppose the lanyard thing is also an old issue going back to the early days when short clips and twisty E's were being made.
It would be great if somebody would do 0.80" sized rings like the 1.0" type.

teak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nostalia too. Probably takes on a retro look.

Question: why swap clips? Why not use the two way bezel up? Because the shorty 'clamps' better?

I suppose the lanyard thing is also an old issue going back to the early days when short clips and twisty E's were being made.
It would be great if somebody would do 0.80" sized rings like the 1.0" type.
The short one way clip allows for a little more depth in the pocket then the 2 way clip. I have also found it to be a little stronger maybe. Yes it does "clamp" better as well.

I agree with a lanyard ring for an e series. I am going to make one once I find the material I want to use.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
The short one way clip allows for a little more depth in the pocket then the 2 way clip. I have also found it to be a little stronger maybe. Yes it does "clamp" better as well.

Reminds me of my E2e incandescent. My edc light in the days before I'd ever heard the term "edc." That short pocket clip is perfect for the back pocket. Never tried the two-way variety.

blacksmith

Newly Enlightened
This post right here gave me the confidence to tear my new EDCL apart. The heat gun makes this an easy project; hit the head with the gun on high for about 30 seconds and they come right apart. Surefire uses a weird grey rubber sealant. When I put them back together I'll silicone the O-ring and use high temperature-medium strength threadlocker from Sonlock.

The goal was to swap the optic ("reflector") from the EB2 onto the EDCL and get a super-thrower. Upon inspection the optics appear to be the same and swapping them did not change performance. But I stumbled upon something more interesting.

These lights are adjustable :eek:oo:. Unscrewing the optic housing changes the pattern. About a 1/4 turn makes the EB2 floody. The EDCL tightens up the beam and removes artifacts.

20180211_214235

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Right on, Blacksmith.
I discovered early on (taking my LedLenser V2 apart many years ago) that TIRs were adjustable to an extent, and used that knowledge when I swapped emitters on my 6th Gen L1.
Turned the bezel until I got the optimal beam pattern I wanted, made witness marks on the head with a marker and sealed it with threadlock.

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
These lights are adjustable :eek:oo:. Unscrewing the optic housing changes the pattern. About a 1/4 turn makes the EB2 floody. The EDCL tightens up the beam and removes artifacts.

Thanks for the teardown and pictures. :thumbsup:

I had thought that the optic looked the same in the EB2 and EDCL2-T but the emitter was larger in the new light. It seems your work confirms this.

A few years ago I did an E1B emitter swap and made similar observations about the die size and the focusing of the optic with the finely threaded section on the head:

I put a 5000K XP-G2 in an E1B and it's a good combo. The original emitter was glued on pretty good with a thin board, I had to chip it off the the heat sink with brute force. The XP-G2 was on a thicker board and has a larger die so the focus is not as tight with the optic. The head has to be loosened a couple of millimeters for best results but the o-ring still seals I believe. Nice beam with generous spill though, just used it to spot five deer in the back forty.

There always seemed to be a gap in the head of the original E1B's. Some of us speculated that the lights might have been individually focused somewhat at the factory before the red loctite set.

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well we seem to have the same taste, Vox Clamatis. I also used a 5000K XPG2 on copper for my L1 swap.
I also noticed they all seemed to have the same optic, optimized for throw while using the old XRE LED.
Seems the optic on these new EDCL lights would throw very nicely using a smaller die.

Makes me wonder how a XPE-2 on copper would do if straight swapped into an EDCL1-T.

Lose a bit of lumens but increase throw?

Jose Marin

Enlightened
Seems the optic on these new EDCL lights would throw very nicely using a smaller die.
do you think it's the die size or does the led being dome/domeless matter too? I know in a reflector, domeless led will throw farther than a domed but is it the same rules for a tir?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
do you think it's the die size or does the led being dome/domeless matter too? I know in a reflector, domeless led will throw farther than a domed but is it the same rules for a tir?

I like to think of TIR as a magnifier. Or say, a prescription lens. It can be used to achieve a specific purpose with just a wee bit of different shaping.
When in a drug store compare those $1.95 reading glasses side by side. A +125 won't appear much different to you than a +175. Yet when you wear them you see a huge difference. A subtle change in curvature of the lens makes a vast difference.
Look at the lenses from the side, you'll see a difference in the curvature.

When I look at my EB1 and 2-T side by side a cursory glance causes a "they look the same" reaction. Yet turning the lights sideways causes the differences to appear. Plus the 2-T is a few mm deeper into the head.
Perhaps SureFire shaped the lense in such a way that a more throwey (domeless) die bends some of the output enough to create a more sideways amount of light we call spill while "magnify-ing" the bulk of the light forward.

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I look at my EB1 and 2-T side by side a cursory glance causes a "they look the same" reaction. Yet turning the lights sideways causes the differences to appear. Plus the 2-T is a few mm deeper into the head.

The EB1 and the EDCL2-T may have different optics but it does appear to me that the EB2 and the EDCL2-T optics are probably the same with different sized dies on the emitters explaining the difference in beam pattern.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Has anybody gotten a 2-T with a hole drilled in the clip for fastening a lanyard?

Pix of the 1-T clip show those have one (just like older ones).

I wonder why SureFire has a hole in their 1 cell clips but not the 2 cell type....

Last edited:

Flashlight Dave

Enlightened
Has anybody gotten a 2-T with a hole drilled in the clip for fastening a lanyard?

Pix of the 1-T clip show those have one (just like older ones).

I wonder why SureFire has a hole in their 1 cell clips but not the 2 cell type....
I would assume its because the clip is so long. If you attach a lanyard to it it will break.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder if these will ever trickle down to the vendors. My order with one has been backordered for close to 4 months now.:crackup: Not that I'm in a hurry since I got a few UM2 recently and they do the job just fine, but it is getting a bit hilarious now.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Is the EDCL2-T bright?

IMG_20180224_201634.jpg

That's kinda like asking if "is a bull frog waterproof?"

Latest posts