Surefire EDCL1-T

Lumen83

Enlightened
I can attest to some strange mode change issues with some IMRs. Basically what happens is when I install a freshly charged battery, some times High mode doesn't seem to come on if the tail cap is fully depressed or twisted in fully. It kind of blinks and then goes back to low. But it goes away after twisting the cap in and out a few times or depressing and releasing the tail cap a bunch. Not sure how to explain it, but it only happens now and again when a battery is first installed.

This has never happened with the lifepo4 batteries. I have to say, I am happy with both types of rechargeable in this light. The only downside is the half hour run time on high. It never has come into play in my real world use, as I change the batteries often with this in mind.

DayofReckoning

Enlightened
Which option should I choose on these lifepo4 batteries? https://www.batteryspace.com/lifepo...ery-3-0v-450mah-1pc--un38-3-passed-0-135.aspx

I will give these a try and see if I have any luck.

Those cells are, for lack of a better term, Junk. If you are going to use 3.2v Lifepo4 batteries, I highly recommend K2 Energy [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]k2 lfp123a cells. They are more expensive, but extremely high quality, and have a 600mah rating, which is completely legitimate.[/FONT]

J_C_S

Newly Enlightened
Those cells are, for lack of a better term, Junk. If you are going to use 3.2v Lifepo4 batteries, I highly recommend K2 Energy k2 lfp123a cells. They are more expensive, but extremely high quality, and have a 600mah rating, which is completely legitimate.

thanks for the warning. I went ahead and got the batteries straight from surefires website. Pretty expensive but with 2 I can change the batteries quite frequently and keep some spare lithium batteries around.

DayofReckoning

Enlightened
No problem. I have a pair I've been running for around a month now, no issues and the performance is great. They are unquestionably the very best Lifepo4 in this size that money can buy.

BigDak19

Newly Enlightened
The EDCL-1T? I find that it is a bit on the floody side, which I prefer. I suppose it depends on what you are used to. But, I would never call the 1T throwy. I'd probably call it a bit floody.

No the EB1 not the EDCL1-T. The EDCL1-T has a nice beam for EDC. The EB1 is like a spotlight and even though it's only 200 lumens it out throws almost every "1,000+" lumen chinese light I own

Lumen83

Enlightened
The EB1 is like a spotlight and even though it's only 200 lumens it out throws almost every "1,000+" lumen chinese light I own

Wow, that is interesting. I never knew much about the EB1 and never ended up buying one. Not sure why. I guess it kind of flew under my radar. I do, however, prefer more of a balance of spill and throw. The EDCL1-T really is the perfect beam for me in an EDC light.

BigDak19

Newly Enlightened
Wow, that is interesting. I never knew much about the EB1 and never ended up buying one. Not sure why. I guess it kind of flew under my radar. I do, however, prefer more of a balance of spill and throw. The EDCL1-T really is the perfect beam for me in an EDC light.

It's a cool little light but not very practical for EDC. Even at 5 lumens it's still hard to use up close because of how focused it is. I'll see if I can get some beam shots tonight and compare it to my EDCL1-T

coffeeandlifting

Newly Enlightened
Which option should I choose on these lifepo4 batteries? https://www.batteryspace.com/lifepo...ery-3-0v-450mah-1pc--un38-3-passed-0-135.aspx

I will give these a try and see if I have any luck.

I've honestly had luck with all kinds of lifepo4 cells. The Chinese brands seem to come and go. The common LFP123 cells used to be Tenergy (silver with green trim wrapping). Then they were branded Soshine for a little while (sky blue wrapping). Now the commonly available cells are branded Power2000. I've used all of these in rotation and they all perform well and do what they need to do. I wouldn't be surprised if they are all coming from the same factory and just getting re-branded every couple years. My original pair of K2's is still going strong also. Oh, and the rated capacity is obviously nonsense, but that is to be expected with the Chinese stuff. I would guess they are all around 400mah.

I'm a big fan of the chemistry. LFP just performs so well under load. Very good forward voltage, and I find that they are the only way you'll stay in regulation with these new mega-output 1xCR123 lights. Sure, total runtime is longer with CR123A's, but the time in regulation is often way worse. I only care about time in regulation. I don't care how long the light stays on while its pooping-out and delivering only a fraction of its rated lumens.

michaex

Enlightened
Has anyone measured the amp draw of this light? I'm trying to assess if it'll be safe to use it on 2AA body with Energizer lithium AA's.

Spec sheet for Energizer l91 says that max discharge current is 2.5amp of continuous draw. Enough? :)

Thanks!

michaex

Enlightened
2 months later, I'm still wondering about ability of this head to be used on 2 AA Outdoorsman's body.

There are two benefits:
- I suspect 2x more capacity, assuming AA lithium can take the current. Runtime should be nice.
- cost - at this time, locally in Canada I can get Surefire CR123 for $3 a piece, while Energizer lithium AA is $1 a piece. 2 needed of course.

Pros and cons, as always. Size pulls the other way.

Anyway, if anyone would have the light and could measure the current draw, I'd appreciate it!

StagMoose

Enlightened
I happen to be right with my multimeter and EDCL1-T. Give me a few minutes.

I got 1.8-2 amps.

Last edited:

Dicaeopolis

Enlightened
I just put 2AA batteries in my Outdoorsman and put my EDCL1-T head on there. It worked. Obviously only one mode. I didn't run it any length of time. I put an RCR 123 in my EDCL1-T and it worked fine with that and still has 2 modes. Maybe, you don't use rechargeables, but you could use a topped of RCR123 and carry a spare CR123 if you felt it necessary and you would probably save on cost and keep both modes in a smaller package.

Dicaeopolis

Enlightened
I just put 2AA batteries in my Outdoorsman and put my EDCL1-T head on there. It worked. Obviously only one mode. I didn't run it any length of time. I put an RCR 123 in my EDCL1-T and it worked fine with that and still has 2 modes. Maybe, you don't use rechargeables, but you could use a topped of RCR123 and carry a spare CR123 if you felt it necessary and you would probably save on cost and keep both modes in a smaller package.

michaex

Enlightened
StagMoose, Dicaeopolis, thank you very much!

So for lithium AA it is in spec - up to 2.5A continuous draw. Good to have this option then.

I'll think about rechargeables as well, I read a lot of positive opinions in this thread.

And in the end I'll probably stick with cr123 ;)

StagMoose

Enlightened
I carry my EDCL1-T quite a bit. I really like it. It works great on rcr123s. No issues yet and figure it will continue to be fine.

In low mode I got .3amps just as an additional data point.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I started out with a 2T model just to see what 1200 throwey lumens from an E could look like. Impressive for sure but……
The batteries get hot quickly. Like in a minute the thing becomes a pocket warmer. No thanks. I never did acquire a 1T for that reason. Comments here show it aint so bad but still, I don't want (or need) one.

I never checked the amp draw as all that heat told me what I needed to know with the 2T. Instead of passing on the (what I consider to be a) potential pipe bomb to someone else I just set it on a shelf for the day batteries can safely keep up.

As much as I dislike step down in a flashlight I respect the Malkoff Body Guard for its max blast of a few seconds and stepping down to a safe draw in a few seconds. I also respect how Gene did not tout the Body Guard as "look here kids, this thing puts out a million billion lumens" as a selling point. It was known from the get-go it was a 10 second turbo then reduced to a pretty friggin' bright little number, but well within the safety range of amp draw.

As conservative as SureFire has always been it was a surprise to me how long the 1T and 2T hold their maximum output, especially the 2T that could really be dangerous if the pair of batteries had non identical voltage remaining when inserted. When seconds count one does not have the time to test a pair of cells in the body carried resupply vessel. Of course it would be prudent to check them before filling up said vessel, but with an uneducated consumer market getting all giggly about those 1200 lumens lighting up a city block a lot could go wrong in a hurry. So far so good it seems.

Dicaeopolis

Enlightened
I understand what you are saying. Sounds like a lot of lumens from a 2 battery body. I don't have the 2T. I have the small Bodyguard and like it a lot, but I also like the gas pedal on the EDCL1-T and the low mode option. I have the Elzetta Alpha too. I guess I had to try "the big 4" of the single cells, meaning the HDS also. I usually use the HDS because it is the most versatile.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
SureFire's gas-pedal tailcap switch used to be better on their older L1 model. Now it's like pushing down on a rock with a thin rubber boot over it.