Surefire LX2 (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert_M

Newly Enlightened
he tested one E1B, hardly a good sample size. The same with the E2DL's 200 lumen, he tested a out-performer but people around here seem to believe 1=all.
Which is probably why Surefire plays it conservative and "seems" to underate their lights. There will always be outliers ...

zven

Enlightened
With regards to the tailcap operation, do any of you experience physical resistance from the switch when going from low to high?

On my LX2, I find that I do not have any physical resistance between the two modes. As a result, I very often go into high mode by accident, even when pressing lightly on the switch.

I've never owned a 2 stage Surefire before, mine have always been single stage or clickys, so I'm not sure if they are all supposed to be like that. However I did handle an L2 and an A2 a few years back, and I thought I remembered there being a good feel of resistance between the two levels. (it's been a while, so don't really remember)

I don't suppose there is a way to achieve some sort of resistance to the switch?

I've had an L1 for a couple years now, and it does not have any physical resistance or physical feedback of any sort between the low and high modes. Granted, mine is the only two-stage model I've handled, but I've always assumed they were all like this. I suppose it would theoretically possible to design a tailcap that gave you some sort of feedback like that, but I doubt there's any realistic way of modifying an existing LX2/etc. tailcap to give you that kind of resistance.

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got mine today.
Overall love it! :thumbsup:

It appears to be brighter then my E2DL, and i will make further judgements on that when it gets dark.

Took some pictures of it.
Mine has a few spots of missing ano, but i'm not upset.
However the printing on the tailcap is a little blotty, which i was a little upset by, because normally it is perfect.

Here are a few pics.

P7071771-1.jpg

P7071769-1.jpg

P7071767-1.jpg

P7071770-1.jpg

PinarelloOnly

Newly Enlightened
Here's a picture of how and where my LX2 clip rubs on the tailcap:

dsc8947b.jpg

It does not seem to be much of an issue for me because it barely touches the tailcap. Carefully bending the clip away from the tailcap would seem to be the easiest "mod" one could do to eliminate this if they see it as a problem.

This is the exact issue I had with these new lights coming out with those
two way clips.You can't help but eventually get rub/scrape marks on the
tail cap when turning to constant on or changing batteries in a hurry. The light actually beats-up its own tail-cap!

You guys watch what happens when these things start selling used. It will
be a big deal about how the tail-caps look.

Weather you're a fan of the two way clip or not it is a horrible design to
have that clip touching a MOVING PART!!!

Scotty007

Newly Enlightened
I dont get it, someone please shed some light (no pun intended :D) on this situation... lots of people are saying "well it seems to be brighter than my E2DL" or "yes, its a little brighter than my E2DL" well....its 80 lumens brighter...is it just luck of the draw and some E2DLs happen to be brighter than 120 and some LX2s happen to be dimmer than 200? whats the deal? i already ordered the LX2, which is on backorder right now, no surprise there, and i am looking forward to a light that is SIGNIFICANTLY brighter than my E2DL...am i gonna be disappointed?( ive seen ALL of the beamshots and some were significantly brighter and some looked identical :thinking:) is it possible that the LX2 will be the same or VERY close to the output of my E2DL, because the extra 80 is why i purchased it... i like the clickie on the E2DL better but for 80 lumens more i can deal with the LX2 tailcap!

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine is definitely alot brighter then my E2DL!
However like i stated, it is only 2:00PM at the moment, so there is no way i can judge how much brighter it really is!

I will try and do some shots tonight.

Will be my first attempt at it :rolleyes:

CandlePowerForumsUser

Enlightened
First to crack this baby open?
Got mine today and found beam to be off because the emitter is not centered :ohgeez:

Well, out comes and straps and pop goes the head. This is within 20mins of breaking the light out the box :p

Anyways, getting the head open was easy. Had to take the headsink part off too and that was a pain. Tinker here and there, heatsink thermal paste here and there. Light is back together and beam is smooth. Tint is slightly warm which I love. Its bright, I have a KX2 with a Q5 bin powered by a Son of Buck 1000 driver and the LX2 is just as, if not, brighter. LX2 has a more focused beam so it throws a lot better. I'm impressed but kinda bummed that the emitter wasn't centered. Easy for me to fix but I'm sure there are people out there that would have some trouble and not even want to deal with it at all. Oh well.

Also, this is a first L any surefire light so the UI is totally new to me and its kinda weird so far. I'm use to a clicky.

Here are some comparison pics of a KX2 and LX2 head taken apart.

LX2 is on the left, KX2 is on the right.

Notice the lens on my LX2 is clear vs. the KX2 which is slightly frosted.

zven

Enlightened
Mine is definitely alot brighter then my E2DL!
However like i stated, it is only 2:00PM at the moment, so there is no way i can judge how much brighter it really is!

I will try and do some shots tonight.

Will be my first attempt at it :rolleyes:

Not sure if you'll get this in time, but I don't suppose you could include your 6P/M60 in your set of beamshots? I'd be quite interested in how the LX2 and M60 compare in useful throw.

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure if you'll get this in time, but I don't suppose you could include your 6P/M60 in your set of beamshots? I'd be quite interested in how the LX2 and M60 compare in useful throw.

The M60 was in my plan :thumbsup:
Don't know if i will get the time to tonight though.
I will do my best!

Palestofwhite

Newly Enlightened
Ok just my luck I guess. I was looking at my LX2 and I found that there is actually some dirt or grease on the reflector itself. How am I supposed to open this head up and clean it from inside?

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just created a thread with the rest of my beamshots.

Here is a comparison of the LX2, E2DL, and Malkoff M60:

SurefireLX2.jpg

E2DL.jpg

MalkoffM60.jpg

SurefireLX2-1.jpg

SurefireE2DL.jpg

MalkoffM60-1.jpg

I'll hopefully get some outdoors ones up soon! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Palestofwhite

Newly Enlightened
Theres' no refector in the LX2, its just an optic. Is it bad enough to open it?

Hello,

I'm not sure if it's affecting the output, but it is pretty obvious when you look at it. It seems dirty inside. Should I risk trying to open it up?

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dont get it, someone please shed some light (no pun intended :D) on this situation... lots of people are saying "well it seems to be brighter than my E2DL" or "yes, its a little brighter than my E2DL" well....its 80 lumens brighter...is it just luck of the draw and some E2DLs happen to be brighter than 120 and some LX2s happen to be dimmer than 200? whats the deal? i already ordered the LX2, which is on backorder right now, no surprise there, and i am looking forward to a light that is SIGNIFICANTLY brighter than my E2DL...am i gonna be disappointed?( ive seen ALL of the beamshots and some were significantly brighter and some looked identical :thinking:) is it possible that the LX2 will be the same or VERY close to the output of my E2DL, because the extra 80 is why i purchased it... i like the clickie on the E2DL better but for 80 lumens more i can deal with the LX2 tailcap!

This has been discussed many times already but here is the deal. The E2DL is rated @ 120 lumens. People who have had these tested have seen results between 160-210 lumens. This depends on what LED is used (i.e. the lottery). It seems that the spec is old and instead of Surefire changing it, we were "blessed" with brighter E2DL's then the 120 lumen high stated on the package. Now the LX2 comes along. It's rated @ 200 lumens. It's probably slightly over 200 lumens. I would think they will all meet this minimum. For some reason people are upset if their E2DL's are brighter than they were suppose to be. I just don't see the logic in expecting the LX2 to be 80 lumens brighter than the E2DL. Surefire never stated this to be the case. Surefire stated that the LX2 will be 200 lumens. It stands to reason that if your LX2 is indeed 200 lumens then they have not defaulted on their claim.

Last edited:

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
This has been discussed many times already but here is the deal. The E2DL is rated @ 120 lumens. People who have had these tested have seen results between 160-210 lumens. This depends on what LED is used (i.e. the lottery). It seems that the spec is old and instead of Surefire changing it, we were "blessed" with brighter E2DL's then the 120 lumen high stated on the package. Now the LX2 comes along. It's rated @ 200 lumens. It's probably slightly over 200 lumens. I would think they will all meet this minimum. For some reason people are upset if their E2DL's are brighter than they were suppose to be. I just don't see the logic in expecting the LX2 to be 80 lumens brighter than the E2DL. Surefire never stated this to be the case. Surefire stated that the LX2 will be 200 lumens. It stands to reason that if your LX2 is indeed 200 lumens then they have not defaulted on their claim.
+1

All LX2 samples will have a minimum of 200 guaranteed lumens out-the-front straight out of the box (and probably more than that in most cases). So in the worst case scenario, Scotty007's light will have 200 confirmed lumens, not bad at all.

Numbers

Enlightened
Just ordered mine. On back order, of course, but I wanted to wait until a few made it into the hands of fellow CPF'ers and I could read the comments. I am expecting this to be my best SF yet. Now the waiting.....

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Hello,

I'm not sure if it's affecting the output, but it is pretty obvious when you look at it. It seems dirty inside. Should I risk trying to open it up?

Nope! Send it back. This isn't some crappy .99 cent, multi-LED light. Your light snuck by Surefire Q.C.

They need to make it right.

Status
Not open for further replies.