Surefire P3X 1000 lumens!

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad I asked, I thought I had remembered similarly swapping the two cell fury head. But x is x only.

Thanks for the Info!

khaleeq

Newly Enlightened
Just wondering what will be the output and runtime on 2x18650. I'm really tired low capacity K2 energy rechargeables.

precisionworks

Flashaholic
Just wondering what will be the output and runtime on 2x18650. I'm really tired low capacity K2 energy rechargeables.

Similar output as the driver/regulator attempts to maintain constant current to the LED.

Longer runtime (surprise :)) with 2x18650

p3x runtimes.jpg

Please see post #252 on page 9 for more info.

Last edited:

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just wondering what will be the output and runtime on 2x18650

If total voltage of 2x18650 is not more than 3 primary 123 under load, it won't be less.
These days, you can get 3400 mAh 18650 cells while primary 123 has about 1500 mAh of capacity. So you can figure capacity and run time increase.

khaleeq

Newly Enlightened
Some P3X owners want to run a pair of 18500's & that's easily done after the bore is opened up to the larger diameter. A few owners want to run 2x18650 and that requires a bit more work:
  • Add a one cell extender
  • Add a short spacer
The reason for the short spacer is that 2x18650 will not allow the tailcap to seat & the light will not work unless the TC is firmly seated. View attachment 1491View attachment 1492Here's the process for making the spacer:A 1" diameter brass bar is faced off, center drilled & starter drilled:View attachment 1493View attachment 1494View attachment 1495

khaleeq

Newly Enlightened
Some P3X owners want to run a pair of 18500's & that's easily done after the bore is opened up to the larger diameter. A few owners want to run 2x18650 and that requires a bit more work:
  • Add a one cell extender
  • Add a short spacer
The reason for the short spacer is that 2x18650 will not allow the tailcap to seat & the light will not work unless the TC is firmly seated.

View attachment 1491View attachment 1492

Here's the process for making the spacer:
A 1" diameter brass bar is faced off, center drilled & starter drilled:

View attachment 1493View attachment 1494View attachment 1495
Hey first of all a belated thanks for the graph. But the problem is that I still cannot figure out a reasonable logic behind adding a spacer, whereas you could have added the extra length provided by the spacer to the extension tube itself. As per my elementary understanding the seating problem would occur due to insufficient length, if so then why bother adding a spacer rather making the extension tube appropriately taller.

Cheers

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
some P3X owners want to run a pair of 18500's

I played with 18500 for a long time, never really satisifed. the problem is that the format is kind of abandoned by the manufacturers and is not developed like the 18650 format. The former is still stuck in the 1500 mAh land while 18650 is easily double that.

If SF made a "P4x" bored for 18mm, that would be something. Other than that, as tempting as P3x is, close, but no cigar.

I suppose it is great for .gov and .mil workers who have access to a boatload of CR123A batteries, free. For them, it's a far better choice than messing with rechargeables and chargers and 18650s, etc.

Actually thinking about it, if you are in dot mil and going on a mission, are you going to drag a pile of 18mm Li-Ion cells with you, *and* back? No, lightweight primaries 123 rule in that case. Use them and discard them.

precisionworks

Flashaholic
... then why bother adding a spacer rather making the extension tube appropriately taller.

Surefire, Oveready, Solarforce, etc. are the makers of the tubes. I could machine a longer one but without a CNC lathe the cost would be so high that no one would want it. The spacer is the only economical answer I've found.

precisionworks

Flashaholic
... if you are in dot mil and going on a mission, are you going to drag a pile of 18mm Li-Ion cells with you, *and* back? No, lightweight primaries 123 rule in that case. Use them and discard them.
+1

When your department, employer, etc. buys batteries there is no reason for rechargeables. Only when longer runtime & lower operating costs are desired do Li-Ions make sense.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I were in deployment, I would love for them to buy me a p3x.
However I have a feeling with the budget cuts and all, they would order a metric ton of 6pL and a metric ton of 123s.

Johan ES

Newly Enlightened
"The P3X Fury is activated with a click-type tailcap switch: press for momentary-on low, press further to click constant-on low."

I would like the P3X to come on in HIGH first (Like the EB2 and E2D). Is it possible?

Last edited:

precisionworks

Flashaholic
I would like the P3X to come on in HIGH first ...
As far as I know the only option for High output first is the single output version (tactical model, P3XT-A). It also has High output second & third :devil:

Reversing the levels would require a revision of the firmware. If the demand was great SF would offer this but I'm guessing that they have few requests from their primary buyers (MIL, LEO, etc.).

Johan ES

Newly Enlightened
As far as I know the only option for High output first is the single output version (tactical model, P3XT-A). It also has High output second & third :devil:

Reversing the levels would require a revision of the firmware. If the demand was great SF would offer this but I'm guessing that they have few requests from their primary buyers (MIL, LEO, etc.).
Too bad... Have to look elsewhere, outside SureFire. Thank you!!

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone know how easily or not the heads come off the latest version of the P3X?

Considering running one on 2 x 18500 1700mah batteries.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey its the P3X thread! Man a while ago I wanted this light sooo bad. Really glad I did not get it. CR123's get expensive and from what I have read the lights output drops quickly and run times are short. I still want a P2X at some point. I do not understand why these lights have the old XM-L's in them. I mean they are plenty capable but for how much these things cost youd think they would at least stay with the best of the latest XML2's. My research of the P3X and P2X led me to Solarforce and man! Well built, lots of options, they take almost any drop in, are available pre bored for 18650's and are cheap! Piecing one together on paper searching for the best drop ins and in the end I will have spent under 60 bucks!

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
why bother adding a spacer rather making the extension tube appropriately taller.
It is possible to use pair of 16670 with EXCAP in unbored P3X (7.4V, 2500mAh)

some P3X owners want to run a pair of 18500's

I played with 18500 for a long time, never really satisifed. the problem is that the format is kind of abandoned by the manufacturers and is not developed like the 18650 format. The former is still stuck in the 1500 mAh land while 18650 is easily double that.
It is possible to use pair of 18650 with EXCAP in bored out P3X (7.4V, 3500mAh)

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone know how easily or not the heads come off the latest version of the P3X?
On my 2rd Gen P3X and also P2X the head is not glued. Therefore I can easy remove the head.

Surefire now have the P3X Fury with IntelliBeam listed on their site.
Nice find. Cant wait to see the light is everywhere available. :) I like the Intellibeam.