Surefire P3X 1000 lumens!

khaleeq

Newly Enlightened
I plotted the graph below using my integrating sphere & stopwatch. The blue line shows output of my bored P3X + one cell extender (2x18650) & the red line shows the standard length P3X running 3xCR123. Not an apples to apples comparison as 2x18650 provides far more available energy than 3xCR123.

Graph is plotted at 10 second intervals for the first 4 minutes & then at 1 minute intervals for the next 10 minutes (14 minutes total tested). A test running four hours is needed ...
Image-9853934-201065084-2-Web_0_b37ba86868c4196d5839ce49d38ab367_1
Hi, I used your specs for boring and got mine bored by a local machinist. For that I am grateful to you. I am from Pakistan. Mine ran for 3 hours and 12 minutes with Keeppower 3500mAh batteries.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Just thinking out loud re the automatic step down on the P3X. Seems that if the light was turned on and run for a short period of time, turning it off then back on will bring it back on at the highest level.

Bill

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wish they had kept it constant at 700 lumens or the level where it ends up after the step down.

Instead of this step down nonsense.

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wish they had kept it constant at 700 lumens or the level where it ends up after the step down.

I agree, 700 or so probably isn't that much of a drop from 1000 to the human eye. That time in the initial max output (30sec?) would translate into a bit more time on regulation, especially for those who use primaries.
But hey, lumens sell.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's the heat I am worried about. If the 2-minute 1000 lumen rating is so hot for the light they have to detune it, I would rather not have it in the first place. Just advertise it as a 600 or 700 lumen light so it can maintain that for an hour.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast

You took the words from my mouth. This is what I think with every light with this step down feature after some or a few minutes. For sure this is because of the lumen race: advertising a higher lumen value sells. But for the main part of the runtime this high lumen value is not available and at the same time it shortens the practical runtime of the light. I consider this as a sort of fraud.

Last edited:

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wish P3x was cheaper. Close to 200 tokens, there is a lot of competition in that range. It's not heatsinked nor potted. I would buy it maybe for $60. If heat is such a serious problem that it causes a step-down, I would rather not deal with heat to begin with. What's wrong with the lumens produced by P2x, 500 or 600 in the latest version.

Kind of O/T but I wish Surefire made a 3-cell version of the G2x polymer light, keeping lumens the same but extending runtime.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wish P3x was cheaper. Close to 200 tokens, there is a lot of competition in that range. It's not heatsinked nor potted. I would buy it maybe for $60. If heat is such a serious problem that it causes a step-down, I would rather not deal with heat to begin with. What's wrong with the lumens produced by P2x, 500 or 600 in the latest version.

Kind of O/T but I wish Surefire made a 3-cell version of the G2x polymer light, keeping lumens the same but extending runtime.

I fully agree. When the physical body sets the limit for heat dissipation or the battery capacity sets the limit for brightness maintaining it's better to prioritize the runtime at lower brightness instead. That is much more useful.

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't forget the variant that was supposed to be able to run on two AA, aside from 3x123.
Would have been nice to get hands on one for testing.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the low mode of P3x, I could load up 2xAA cells in it. they would fit nicely wrapped in about 4 FRNs. Has anyone ran such an experiment?

Not optimum I realize but in a pinch.

precisionworks

Flashaholic
Just thinking out loud re the automatic step down on the P3X. Seems that if the light was turned on and run for a short period of time, turning it off then back on will bring it back on at the highest level.

Bill

Bill, I believe the reset is controlled by a thermistor on the PCB. As long as it reads above xxx degrees it will not step back up to the highest setting.

Lumencrazy

Enlightened
You took the words from my mouth. This is what I think with every light with this step down feature after some or a few minutes. For sure this is because of the lumen race: advertising a higher lumen value sells. But for the main part of the runtime this high lumen value is not available and at the same time it shortens the practical runtime of the light. I consider this as a sort of fraud.

So true!!!! Lumens sell. Even when they are inflated. People will choose to buy the higher lumen flashlight. All a manufacture has to do is print New improved "Now 1500 Lumens" on the box. The purchaser wants to believe in what he just bought and will not even want to pay attention to any contradictory information. So many studies have shown that to be the reality and the manufacturers know that. When was the last time someone actually tested a light in an Ulbricht Integrating Sphere? The only way to get the true value.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
yeah and I wish surefire hadn't sank that low like myriad chinese vendors that advertise 300 lumen lights as 900 lumen lights.

P3x is not a 1000 lumen light, period. Only for a very short while.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am looking at getting a used P3x that does not turn on. What could be the reason why a Fury would not turn on? most likely a bad tailcap I assume?

I don't have the luxury of swapping tailcaps or trying anything else at this point, just making likely assumptions.

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am looking at getting a used P3x that does not turn on. What could be the reason why a Fury would not turn on? most likely a bad tailcap I assume?
Load it with all 3 new battery, do not place tail cap.
Use jumper wire and connect battery negative to bare metal body edge. If works, then problem is tail switch.