Surefire UM2 Ultra

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Help! I'm suffering from decision constipation. On one hand, I've been wanting this light since May of this year. I check AU's website almost daily to see what kind of inventory they have left. I know I don't "need" this light. It might even make my P1R-B light jealous. I'm completely 50/50 on the fence as to whether or not I should just click onto the PLACE ORDER button. I think I'm also dealing with that FOMO thing; "fear of missing out." They made 800 units, and in a way, it's neat to own/collect something of a limited run. I

know it's on the big side for a 2xCR123 light, but that's ok. I wouldn't try to EDC it. Probably just use it in or near the home etc...

They won't be around forever. Worst case, when they sell out, some collector on the marketplace here will gladly take it off your hands if you don't want it...

As you've said, you don't have as many as you want, but it sounds like you want this.:devil:

Lumen83

Enlightened
I'm completely 50/50 on the fence as to whether or not I should just click onto the PLACE ORDER button. I think I'm also dealing with that FOMO thing;

I'm totally with you on that. I'm hopefully not going to buy one. For me its too big and bulky. I love the size of the original U2. I've been buying them in the $50.00 range and having them modded with much better LEDs and bored to accept 18650. This is what is stopping me from buying the UM2. IMHO a Modded U2 is cheaper, better size, better brightness levels, etc. What surefire should have done is put a better LED in the original U2 instead of coming up with the UM2. But, the only thing is I feel I'm missing out on the 800 unit limited run of the UM2 which I'm sure is a fantastic light. Food for thought.

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Help! I'm suffering from decision constipation. On one hand, I've been wanting this light since May of this year. I check AU's website almost daily to see what kind of inventory they have left. I know I don't "need" this light. It might even make my P1R-B light jealous. I'm completely 50/50 on the fence as to whether or not I should just click onto the PLACE ORDER button. I think I'm also dealing with that FOMO thing; "fear of missing out." They made 800 units, and in a way, it's neat to own/collect something of a limited run. I know it's on the big side for a 2xCR123 light, but that's ok. I wouldn't try to EDC it. Probably just use it in or near the home etc...

Its a no brainer. No tax, free shipping and the current price = buy! The light is not to big in my opinion and the beam quality is very nice. There's a reason their is a selector ring on the Spy 007 and the UM2...simplicity and ease of use.

JohnnyBravo

Enlightened
Ok, Ok, Ok. I just did it! Man, I hope I like this thing... :grin2:

(I managed to stay under my personal yearly budget of $2000 towards firearms and lights. $1714 ytd total, and $670 of that were lights.)

Last edited:

Stainz

Enlightened
Mine arrived yesterday in the mail... from AU... as I watched another AU beat Texas A&M. A great bargain of a light, even if is noticeably dimmer than my 800 Lumen LBT3 Invictus - 600/800 Lumens should look closer in brightness, even though the lens & reflector are larger in the three-cell monster, which definitely isn't pocketable. The UM2 Ultra barely is pocketable! A great use for the S-F box it came in - holding those S-F instructions scattered in my desk drawer - perfect size.

JohnnyBravo

Enlightened
Just received mine! I have to agree, that this light's size is probably at the upper limits of what one would consider for EDC.

I like the operation of the "ring" with noticeable detents/clicks unlike my other ringy lights. This is the most expensive light out of my 3 selector ring lights; so does this make it Lord of the Rings? I'm glad to see that the beam pattern has more spill than I thought. And I can't detect any hint of coolness, just a nice neutral color with mine. I just don't know why the texture and color of the tailcap doesn't match the body. The body feels almost the same as my P1R Peacekeeper - almost a satin or semi-gloss feel. But the tailcap looks and feels very matte/flat, chalky, and dry. The tailcaps and bodies of my other Surefire purchases: 9P, Fury, 6P, EB1, and Peacekeeper match nicely. I took the tailcap (click type, not tactical) off my P1R Peacekeeper and it looks and works just fine on this UM2. My family and I agree that the P1R tailcap looks like it came with the UM2, so I ordered another tail cap and will use it instead of the stock tailcap...

Last edited:

badbs101

Newly Enlightened
On the fence about this light as I don't really need a new one. The price looks like it's improving (it was a non-starter for me at $300.00) and the idea of multiple levels is intriguing.

Does anyone know if this light uses PWM to achieve the multiple light levels?

Beard Man

Enlightened
On the fence about this light as I don't really need a new one. The price looks like it's improving (it was a non-starter for me at $300.00) and the idea of multiple levels is intriguing.

No PWM on any modes.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast

As far as I know, Surefire uses current control to achieve lower outputs, not PWM. I'm not making any value judgments, whether that's good or bad, but my P3X Fury definitely had the corresponding tint shift associated with current control.

JohnnyBravo

Enlightened
I contacted SF. Got the official word that the driver can handle 8.4 volts. I'm thinking about using 2x16340 Ortronics in it once the original set of primaries run down... :twothumbs

badbs101

Newly Enlightened
e15f2a37815fdd5bb4609459c316704e.jpg

Dumb question. Does anyone know what the "C" and funny looking "E" on the bezel indicate?

Genna

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dumb question. Does anyone know what the "C" and funny looking "E" on the bezel indicate?

By affixing the CE marking to a product, a manufacturer declares that the product meets all the legal requirements for CE marking and can be sold throughout the EEA. This also applies to products made in other countries that are sold in the EEA (European Economic Area).

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
By affixing the CE marking to a product, a manufacturer declares that the product meets all the legal requirements for CE marking and can be sold throughout the EEA. This also applies to products made in other countries that are sold in the EEA (European Economic Area).

Funny, they use European marking, but prefer not to have an official representative in EU.

Beard Man

Enlightened
I contacted SF. Got the official word that the driver can handle 8.4 volts. I'm thinking about using 2x16340 Ortronics in it once the original set of primaries run down... :twothumbs

I just put two AW ICR 123 16340 Protected, 3.7V 750mAh, works great!

Last edited:

gottawearshades

Enlightened
Hmmm.

What would the voltage be from three primaries under load?

Beard Man

Enlightened
Works with:
- prime CR123
- rechargeable K2 Energy LFP123A,3.2V,600mAh
- rechargeable AW ICR 123 16340 Protected, 3.7V, 750mAh

37822225355_036163c031_b.jpg