Surefire UM2 Ultra

Ash247

Newly Enlightened
Took the plunge and got one of these lights, arrived today. I was wondering has anyone had any luck removing the pocket clip, it looks like it is held on with a "nut" around the battery body, but even after applying a reasonable amount of pressure it will not move.

Before I go full out on it I thought I'd ask here for any advice.

JohnSmith

Enlightened
I received mine, and it really does feel like a member of the UNR Commander / UB3T family. Just scaled down, the smallest member of the group.

Beautiful matte black anodizing.
Nice positive detents for the selector ring.
Feels great in the hand.
Perfect crenellations, not too long and not sharp at all.
It's a little big for EDC use, but I also feel that way about the P2X Fury which is only slightly shorter than the UM2. It's a perfect size for sliding into a bag or jacket pocket.
The beam is a nice mixture of throw and spill.

She's a winner in my opinion!

Here is the current I measured at the tailcap for each of the levels (accuracy +/- 2.0%):
Stage 1: 5 lumens - 0.03 A
Stage 2: 15 lumens - 0.04 A
Stage 3: 50 lumens - 0.09 A
Stage 4: 100 lumens - 0.16 A
Stage 5: 350 lumens - 0.57 A
Stage 6: 600 lumens - 1.15 A

BF2C0E08-8B30-4330-AB2E-298197043ADE_zpssdrboxtp.jpg

Attachments

• 2017-01-20 17.21.14.jpg
    2017-01-20 17.21.14.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:

phoenixcatapult

Newly Enlightened
I test UM2 with two rechargable 16340(3.7V 700mAh) and 16650 (3.7V 2500mAh).
16340:
UM2 600lm 1 hour.
320lm 1 hr 40 mins.
100lm 5 hrs.
16650:
100lm barely 5 hrs.

Illluminator

Newly Enlightened
So the included manual says it has a 1.5 hour runtime on high but the SF website lists 1.1 hours? Which is accurate?

kj2

Flashaholic
Specs on the website will be more accurate. They can change the specifications on their site, the manual is already printed.

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
So the included manual says it has a 1.5 hour runtime on high but the SF website lists 1.1 hours? Which is accurate?

The website listing has this note (but I couldn't find the other asterisk):

*Runtime until output drops below 10% of maximum output at this setting

The 2017 SF catalog identifies this as compliant with the ANSI/NEMA FL1 standards:

ANSI/NEMA FL1 Standards: Runtimes until output drops below
10% of initial output for a given setting.

I've always thought this might mislead folks into thinking that the max output lasted a lot longer than it really does on some lights.

Anyway, the UM2 is a worthy successor to the U2, too bad it's been discontinued. :sigh:

JohnSmith

Enlightened
There are still 689 in stock at Arms Unlimited. Based on the inventory change since I purchased mine a few weeks ago, they're only selling several a week. We'll all be dead and buried before these sell out. Perhaps they'll eventually try to unload them in some sort of clearance sale. I'd buy another if it came to that.

mebiuspower

Newly Enlightened
I still have my U2 Ultra and it's currently getting modded by Nitroz... it's only $65 to upgrade to XP-L emitter that outputs ~450 lumens.

Last edited:

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still have my U2 Ultra and it's currently getting modded by Nitroz... it's only $65 to upgrade to XP-L emitter that outputs 475 lumens.

Wow, I've got a new in the box U2 that I might send for modding at that price. I modded a U2 to an XP-G a few years ago using instructions I found here on CPF but I would gladly pay to have someone else do the next one.

I love most of the UM2 cosmetics except the greenish tint which seems to be standard on many recent SureFires.

The OLight RCR123A's seem to go dark instantly sometimes on high in the UM2 and in EB1's and EB2's. When the cells were new it seemed that the UM2 would always step down as the batteries weakened giving plenty of warning. Now, they appear at times to shut down abruptly after a while on high and will not recover at all until recharged.

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are still 689 in stock at Arms Unlimited.
I was expecting something like that. The UM2 is a light most people do not know it really exist. Even if the UM2 is on the SF website since a couple of month a lot people missed this light. The second reason it is not cheap china junk and finally I have the feeling lights with selector ring are completely out. Some years ago Niteye, Jetbeam, Sunwayman, ... all had selector ring lights. Today there are not really a lot selector ring lights on the market...

Currently I'm hoping the price will go down to ~200USD, than I'd grad two additional UM2s :)

mebiuspower

Newly Enlightened
Wow, I've got a new in the box U2 that I might send for modding at that price. I modded a U2 to an XP-G a few years ago using instructions I found here on CPF but I would gladly pay to have someone else do the next one.

I love most of the UM2 cosmetics except the greenish tint which seems to be standard on many recent SureFires.

I'm going to get it back soon hopefully but I think it's worth it. $65 vs $250 for a new light that is pretty much the same.

Dimension/weight of the UM2 is no different than U2, other than changing some of the aesthetics and clicking in on each stage, it's basically a U2 with an updated emitter.

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dimension/weight of the UM2 is no different than U2, other than changing some of the aesthetics and clicking in on each stage, it's basically a U2 with an updated emitter.

I hadn't used my modded U2 for a while until I saw your earlier post on this thread and found the light in a drawer. It has the 'old' XP-G LED that only puts out maybe 250 lumens on high. But it has a warm emitter and a beautiful beam with plenty of spill. The action on the U2 level switch is silky smooth and the mod runs great on a single 16650 cell.

The U2 is a little shorter than the UM2 and the UM2 has that extra level of throw for spotting wildlife in the back forty. They are both great lights in my opinion.

Let us know how you like your Nitroz modded U2. :thumbsup:

JBA

Newly Enlightened
I still have my U2 Ultra and it's currently getting modded by Nitroz... it's only $65 to upgrade to XP-L emitter that outputs 475 lumens.

He did mine about 2 years ago and it's great to hear that the prices haven't gone up. Still a great light with the new emitter and I find myself using it regularly still.

Latest posts