Survival LED Flashlight Testing.

I can't fault you for choosing emergency lights that can run on a variety of power sources. For my own part though I have no problems with CR123A. While they're not as ubiquitous as AA I figure I can pack my lights I can also pack my batteries. I have at least 120 CR123a batteries on hand right now, and I keep at least seven waterproof containers packed up and ready to go. Still, I am thinking of building a new AA light using Malkoff parts; an AA body, Valiant head and a M31W would be bright, durable and easy to feed. This would be more for fun that out of need as I already have more lights than there's any sane reason to have.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I can't fault you for choosing emergency lights that can run on a variety of power sources. For my own part though I have no problems with CR123A. While they're not as ubiquitous as AA I figure I can pack my lights I can also pack my batteries. I have at least 120 CR123a batteries on hand right now, and I keep at least seven waterproof containers packed up and ready to go. Still, I am thinking of building a new AA light using Malkoff parts; an AA body, Valiant head and a M31W would be bright, durable and easy to feed. This would be more for fun that out of need as I already have more lights than there's any sane reason to have.

Nothing wrong with CR123. I made sure all the low voltage omnivores
can use them. That said AA is so readily available. The M31L is more than bright enough using 2xAA or
1x CR123. Odds are the M31w would preform the same on DD. AA will run on DD much easier than
CR123 given the lower voltage I think.

I have an MDC body with the VME head and an M31W and I can't express how much I love it! Battery life is okay but not incredible- the big draw is having that warm floody beam that still has some throw. I think the same thing with a 2 x AA body would be fun to mess with plus probably get pretty decent runtime (two lithium AA's would be, what, 4100 mAh?).

Woods Walker

I think L91s are up to 3000 so maybe 3000 mAh at 3.4 volts? The voltage goes up but not capacity if I remember right in a series. So 3.4 volts times 3 ma is 10.2 watt hours? One CR123 is around 1400 ma at 3 nominal volts for 4.2 watt hours? Or is that a top of 1.7 with 1.5 nominal volts for L91s? Either way it's more power. That said 1XAA should still run longer by a good margin as it's on DD rather than regulation aka dimmer. Someplace I timed all of this and posted the results.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm also into survivalist omnivore lights like WW - lost power for nearly a week three times from different storms (last was Sandy), but perhaps more importantly, are the events while away from home and you only have your EDC with you (eg, trapped in Manhattan for the Northeast Blackout of 2003).

For me, the most important criteria are:
* 1-4.2V boost/buck regulation - permits use of ANY single battery.
* Efficiency low low modes (eg, 0.5/3/20 lms) - everything is pitch black, so save batts and use your night vision. Also, only low low current draws can utilize the AAAAs from a 9V - the only cells you'll find readily available during these events.
* Removable head/mechanical switch/electrical path through threads - these are the easiest to MacGyver oversized cells.

Like one of WW's picks, Quark Pros are my favorite. D25A Ti's are also easy to rig although not well regulated.

I personally EDC a piece tinfoil and a paperclip in my wallet and custom make my spacers/MacGyver connections on the fly - nothing to lug around, custom covers any battery, even powering 2AA devices (eg radio) with a CR123 cell, for example.

Example of a AAA keychain light wallet-MacGyver'd into to a D-cell lantern.

18382950464_d90c897f4d_b.jpg

alangloi

Newly Enlightened
Well, I finally broke down and place my order with Malkoff!:cool: I have the following inbound: One x 2 AA body, one x M31W, one x VME head and one x M61W (for my NOS G2).

That Malkoff's M61W might be a bit warm for a G2 unless you replace the Nitrolon head with a metal one (pretty easy to find on 'net). Would work well in a C2.

Treeguy

Enlightened
As far as testing goes, I stuck a Rayovac Indestructable AA with Energizer Lithium AAs in it in the car a few years ago, and the car has frozen solid (literally) and thawed countless times and the light functions perfectly whenever I test it. Since emergency lights are sometimes left alone/forgotten for months (years?) at a time, in conditions that can vary widely, it's nice to know when you pick it up it will turn on.

For my part, I'm all about the AA. :)

That Malkoff's M61W might be a bit warm for a G2 unless you replace the Nitrolon head with a metal one (pretty easy to find on 'net). Would work well in a C2.

Sorry, I should have said G2Z with a metal head. With the ones with plastic heads I stick to L and LL but most of mine have been upgraded with metal bezels unless they already came with them.

My newest box of goodies arrived today! The M61W is great in the G2z and the new M31 is great in the VME head with the 2 x AA MDC-type body. Apropos of nothing it's my second M31W and it has the most incan-looking beam I have yet seen from an LED.

Woods Walker

Walker what do you think the output and runtime are with the M31w on a single AA??

Seemed around 50 lumens max though hard to tell. I timed it over on the Malkoff Junkie thread. Over 20 hours I think though direct drive so not regulated at all. Will look for the post to get the exact numbers later.

So far I have mixed feelings about the new AA/VME/M31W light although none of them have anything to do with the function. It's pure Malkoff, as well built as you could ask for. But I'm not crazy about the form factor. First off a twin AA body if pretty long, almost as long as my Elzetta Charlie! Due to the skinny barrel and largish VME head it's balanced way out towards the head. Holding it where I can easily access the tail cap makes it really front heavy and somewhat awkward. The MDC pocket clip is great but in a light this long it rides too deep to be really practical in a pocket. Ultimately it seems really enormous for the amount of light output. Subjectively (and maybe it's the tint or just a fluke) it doesn't seem as bright as my 1xCR123a/VME/M31W that I often EDC. On paper they should be the same- after all, the M31Ws have to be almost identical (granted, there's a little variance I'm sure) and 1 x CR123a = 2 x AA voltage wise.

But as I mentioned there's nothing to fault in how the light is built. It likely won't see a lot of use but I didn't expect it would. It's more just something I assembled simply because I didn't have one.;):laughing: It may well come in handy while hiking, camping or as an emergency/backup light in the home or car.

Woods Walker

So far I have mixed feelings about the new AA/VME/M31W light although none of them have anything to do with the function. It's pure Malkoff, as well built as you could ask for. But I'm not crazy about the form factor. First off a twin AA body if pretty long, almost as long as my Elzetta Charlie! Due to the skinny barrel and largish VME head it's balanced way out towards the head. Holding it where I can easily access the tail cap makes it really front heavy and somewhat awkward. The MDC pocket clip is great but in a light this long it rides too deep to be really practical in a pocket. Ultimately it seems really enormous for the amount of light output. Subjectively (and maybe it's the tint or just a fluke) it doesn't seem as bright as my 1xCR123a/VME/M31W that I often EDC. On paper they should be the same- after all, the M31Ws have to be almost identical (granted, there's a little variance I'm sure) and 1 x CR123a = 2 x AA voltage wise.

But as I mentioned there's nothing to fault in how the light is built. It likely won't see a lot of use but I didn't expect it would. It's more just something I assembled simply because I didn't have one.;):laughing: It may well come in handy while hiking, camping or as an emergency/backup light in the home or car.

I never really viewed the Malkoff 2XAA/M31 combo as an EDC rather bomb proof woods,BOB and ER light. Under those conditions physical characteristics such as riding in the pocket or clips doesn't matter as the light is within a holster attached to a pack. But everyone has different needs. More importantly how is the tint? :)

The tint is great! Or at least for this light. I have to say that this one particular M31W is, without a doubt, the most incan-like LED I've ever seen!:naughty: Overall I think the M61N is about the perfect tint but sometimes I like the extra warmth of the Ws. This one avoids rosiness and delivers a heavy helping of yellow-orange. Very nice looking, it really reminds me of an old flashlight I would have used as a kid only brighter and more durable.

Last edited:

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're the man walker!
Seemed around 50 lumens max though hard to tell. I timed it over on the Malkoff Junkie thread. Over 20 hours I think though direct drive so not regulated at all. Will look for the post to get the exact numbers later.