>>>TerraLUX MiniStar5 SSC P4 U bin LED upgrade for 3-6 C/D cell Maglites TLE-6EX!<<<

Status
Not open for further replies.

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: >>>TerraLUX MiniStar5 SSC P4 U bin LED upgrade for 3-6 C/D cell Maglites TLE-6EX!<<<

ahh i see ,got confused when i saw pre-order link using the tle5 pic

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: >>>TerraLUX MiniStar5 SSC P4 U bin LED upgrade for 3-6 C/D cell Maglites TLE-6EX!<<<

yah - I need to take pics but all I have is the prototype...actually still using the prototype pic for the TLE-6EX..oops!

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi MattK,
You havent got any news for us about the 2D version?

knot

Banned
Re: >>>TerraLUX MiniStar5 SSC P4 U bin LED upgrade for 3-6 C/D cell Maglites TLE-6EX!

I'm going to order this but my 4D maglite has been missing the bulb retainer for years, so it hasn't seen service since. Is this part available as well? Oh yeah, the lens is missing as well.

Is there a modification to run different batteries to increase the voltage, or is that an unnecessary mod?

I also have a 2c Dorcy that pretty much sucks. Are there any upgrades for it as well?

Last edited:

frosty

Enlightened

You don't need the bulb retainer. The dropin screws onto the bulb post. Probably need a lens though.:laughing:

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast

MattK said:
Still 60+ days out. :(

Ah, thanks.
Patience is a virtue, and I think the wait will be worth in this case. :)

dradee1

Newly Enlightened

Does this work better in C-cell or D-cell Maglights? i:e does it transfer heat better in one than the other?

Cydonia

Enlightened
Re: >>>TerraLUX MiniStar5 SSC P4 U bin LED upgrade for 3-6 C/D cell Maglites TLE-6EX!

dradee1 said:
Does this work better in C-cell or D-cell Maglights? i:e does it transfer heat better in one than the other?

Terralux 6EX module should theoretically be able to dissipate more heat in a D cell body – more space inside the head and more air to aluminum surface. But it is so insubstantial it's probably completely irrelevant. Could probably measure a fraction of a degree difference between C and D host… maybe more? Don't worry about it, just order one of these upgrades… The pure white light is much better than the MagLED drop-in. Pop it in a 4C for max brightness with 4 batteries, good form factor and weight etc., (argh! Still waiting for my 4C Mag to arrive!)

bryan24

Newly Enlightened

Hello. Its my first post here, but have been lurking fro 2 weeks. I have my Ministar5 TLE-6EX in a 4C mag-lite. Now its the most powerful light I own. I used a light coat of Ox-gard on the threads to help with heat conduction (It should conduct heat as well as current right?). I was wondering If there was going to be another run of MOP or LS reflectors made by fivemega? Do they work the same with C and D-cell m*g-lites?

bridgman

Enlightened

Fivemega's most recent run of reflectors had smaller holes, which minimize light leakage with hotwire bulbs but which need to be reamed out to fit a Mag pedestal with LED.

I believe the same reflector works in both C and D but have not tried it myself.

Carabidae

Newly Enlightened

bryan24 said:
I was wondering If there was going to be another run of MOP or LS reflectors made by fivemega?
Did you see this link:
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=150395&page=1&pp=30

He has MOP now, thats what I got from fivemega.

bryan24 said:
Do they work the same with C and D-cell m*g-lites?
Yes it does work in C and D mag, I used it in both and it works well, but it has to be bored out in order to work with the dropin. It needs to bored to 5/8, but it's easy. If you're close to a harbor freight tools, there is a tool here http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=91616
That works beautifully for boring the reflector out, and does a nice clean job, a piece of cake with a good drill. Of course I'm sure a standard drill bit will work too.

Last edited:

cavanaug

Newly Enlightened

Carabidae said:
I'm running mine with 3 cr123a in a 2c mag for now and it's awsome. Considerably brighter than my p1d-ce.

I just put it in my 2c running 3xcr123a as well, and I agree its quite bright.

In terms of comparing it head to head in the same body & battery config with the xenon 6 cell bulb its hard for me to make call on which is brighter. The terralux is definitely whiter, but the xenon feels more natural and probably a bit brighter (subjective). I do anticipate much better battery life though on the terralux.

Oh as an aside I tried something pretty perverse. I had a mag 4c available, so i recreated the 2c mod for it with a water heater hose & put 6 cr123as in it and dropped in the terralux bulb. Yes it worked fine!!! I didnt notice any brightness impact, but i do imagine better battery life.

This 4c is now my main flashlight next to my bed. The 4c always felt better in my hand if I ever had to swing it as a defensive weapon than a 3 or 4 D since i could get a better grip on it.

--
John Cavanaugh

Smith

Newly Enlightened

oh, to lose your virginal hold of modded illumination... and in front of so many... :sssh:

Well, i just plugged these fine emitters into a 4d (with 5c's inside) and 6d m*g and i can't believe the difference! Thanks for the suggestions guys!

oh, and OT, but thanks for being nice in front of lurkers like me, makes me want to participate!:rock:

Wave

Newly Enlightened

Newbie question - is it safe to use (3) AA-D cell adapters with this in a 3D Maglight?

I have a bunch of Titanium 2700mah rechargeables laying around and would hate to immediately kill it.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast

9 x 1.2V - 10.8V = you should be fine

clipse

Enlightened

cavanaug said:
I just put it in my 2c running 3xcr123a as well, and I agree its quite bright.

In terms of comparing it head to head in the same body & battery config with the xenon 6 cell bulb its hard for me to make call on which is brighter. The terralux is definitely whiter, but the xenon feels more natural and probably a bit brighter (subjective). I do anticipate much better battery life though on the terralux.

------snip------

--
John Cavanaugh

I have a 2 C cell with two 18500's. It is deffinately very bright. Like you said, I can't tell whether my 6 cell MagNum Star bulb or the TLE-6EX is brighter......which makes me very happy. I just measured and from my back porch there is a cell tower that I can light up and see just fine. It is almost 200 meters (650 feet or 215 yards) away. That is awesome in my book. Perfect for almost any use I'll need it for. I'm loving this light now. I'm going to check this weekend to see how long it will stay lit on a full charge.

AndyTiedye

Flashlight Enthusiast

A 2C with a pair of AW Li Ion "C" cells (and the extender) and the TLE-6EX ROCKS.
so does a 2D with those batteries (stretch the spring just a little).

andyr354

Newly Enlightened

How much brighter is this than the MagLED setup at initial brightness. I know the mag setup dims quickly but am just looking for some comparisons.

Thanks

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast

My MagLED(4-cell) starts out around ~60 lumens out the front with fresh batteries. After about 10 minutes, it's output drops down to ~40 lumens.

The terralux drop-in I have is running off 4C cells in a 3D Mag. It's output starts off around ~100 lumens out the front, and only drops to ~90 lumens after 10min. When both lights are first turned on, it does not appear to be a big difference in output. But once they are left on for a little while, the terralux stands out as the brighter light.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts