The 5mm Challenge

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder if my milky candle satisfies the criteria. While it has two 5mm LEDs it only uses one at a time.

I suppose my SF Helmet light doesnt count right? Since it has 3 leds.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I wonder if my milky candle satisfies the criteria. While it has two 5mm LEDs it only uses one at a time.

I suppose my SF Helmet light doesnt count right? Since it has 3 leds.

I'm thinking the challenge is to use a single 5mm LED for lighting.. doesn't matter how many of them just 1 5mm LED at a time.

I would love to see this challenge repeated 5 years from now if they do update the 5mm LEDs. We could have some lights 2-3 times as bright as before with newer ones able to compete with first generation high power LEDs in nominal output. I have a feeling though if efficiency doubles that 5mm nominal drive currents could be raised without reducing the life of them. An LED running at 50ma with 3 times efficiency could equate to 6-8 times as bright as older LEDs so your 8 lumen light could be replaced by a ~35 lumen 5mm light in the year 2017. It would run as long at that level or at 8 lumens for 5 times as long.

choombak

Enlightened
Still running strong with my 5mm lights! The Arc AAA still being used around the house, and the Arc Ti in pocket. Oh, and forgot to add, got a Mako in the race as well.

Last edited:

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm thinking the challenge is to use a single 5mm LED for lighting.. doesn't matter how many of them just 1 5mm LED at a time.

I would love to see this challenge repeated 5 years from now if they do update the 5mm LEDs. We could have some lights 2-3 times as bright as before with newer ones able to compete with first generation high power LEDs in nominal output. I have a feeling though if efficiency doubles that 5mm nominal drive currents could be raised without reducing the life of them. An LED running at 50ma with 3 times efficiency could equate to 6-8 times as bright as older LEDs so your 8 lumen light could be replaced by a ~35 lumen 5mm light in the year 2017. It would run as long at that level or at 8 lumens for 5 times as long.

Yeah which is why the milky candle should work. But the SF helmet light does not have a function to select which LEDS turn on. I can switch from Red to white. White has 3 LEDs and red has 2. There are three levels of light. But nowhere can I manually shut off one or two LEDs on command. So it would be 3 white or 2 red LEDs at any given setting.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I must confess I've been a miserable failure in this challenge. I keep falling off the wagon and saying I'll start tomorrow. Maybe I'll get it going on Tuesday. :shakehead

Geoff

Kestrel

Flashaholic
19 days (as of yesterday) with my ARC-AAA exclusively. No major issues. I finally had to bring out the 'big gun' yesterday to find a tiny ball bearing that dropped on the carpet during the day. 800 lumens made quick work of that, maybe the ARC could have done it but it might have taken ~10 times longer.

All in all, I had a good time.

I might be able to have a run at the new challenge - I am on travel at the moment so it'll have to wait for a bit - for this trip I'm carrying two LED lights plus a Fauxton in the jacket. Might be seeing ya in the Incan challenge in a few. :wave:

Last edited:

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bringing this one back Carrot as these kind of things are always fun for me and this is a great classic thread. I'm a bonafide E01 junkie but I just unearthed a Photon Freedom that I'm going to try and let do the work for this week long challenge. 5mm for one week, or as long as you can make it without using another type of light. Everything I currently have has been put up in the closet and I started a few hours ago with a Photon dog walk. Worked just fine. By the way I think these things are way over the rated 4.5 lumens. I sanded the LED on this one which has given it a much smoother beam and a nice creamy tint. The 5mm challenge lives.
Untitled by Six Pound Cat, on Flickr
Untitled by Six Pound Cat, on Flickr

That's awesome! This is pretty much like the prototype for the Sapphire!

I have to say, the 5mm Challenge has probably been my favorite of the challenges so far.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I've recently reintroduced my Photon Freedom Covert to my keychain. It can't be beat for its low-mode. Freedom and E05 on my keychain and E01 in my pocket.

It handles all of my EDC lighting needs.

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've recently reintroduced my Photon Freedom Covert to my keychain. It can't be beat for its low-mode. Freedom and E05 on my keychain and E01 in my pocket.

It handles all of my EDC lighting needs.

Photon Freedom Covert around my neck for 3 years. It just needs someone skilled to change the emitter for me. Anyone? I will pay and may have 3 to be done. Thanks!

scout24

Flashaholic
If you have a Photon Freedom, and like Yuji's 3200k tint, I might be inclined to do a few. No charge. I have four emitters left, first come first served, different members please... via PM so I don't have to wag a finger at myself for off topic thread drift. :p

Skaaphaas

Enlightened
I'm inclined to participate as of Monday.

I'm sure I'll cope in the week, but the weekend is another story.

Latest posts