The long list of potentially useful stuff in bug out, SHTF, car kits, and more...

Poppy

Flashaholic
Poppy, habits like these are a good thing. It sounds like you're doing what you can to prep for every season of weather. Having things like this on hand make a huge difference when they are needed.
CanadianSurvivalCompany,
Thanks. I can't begin to tell you how many times I pulled out a few blankets, or fleece shirts because we were at an outdoor event and the temperature dropped, and the wind picked up. I carry, much more than is needed for just myself, but rather to help others too.

You seem pretty knowledgeable. Why do you think monochrome recommended those heavy little bolt cutters? I have one, but it stays in my workbench tool box.

CanadianSurvivalCompany

Newly Enlightened
CanadianSurvivalCompany,
Thanks. I can't begin to tell you how many times I pulled out a few blankets, or fleece shirts because we were at an outdoor event and the temperature dropped, and the wind picked up. I carry, much more than is needed for just myself, but rather to help others too.

You seem pretty knowledgeable. Why do you think monochrome recommended those heavy little bolt cutters? I have one, but it stays in my workbench tool box.

That is unfortunately one of the down falls of being the "prepared" type. Friends, family and even coworkers will come to depend on you, no it doesn't happen in every case but it certainly can (personal experience) I'm not saying don't help, please do in fact. Just keep an eye on who requires assistance constantly..

As to the bolt cutters, they can have their uses. I prefer a full sized set, however they don't sit in my vehicle. I've met some people who have a full "break in set" in the event of civil break down. Here in Canada however that is a criminal charge when in the possession of house breaking tools.

Personally the only time I've used them in the real world was during SAR. When a owner of property or place of work was not able to be contacted and the safety of someone took presidency, locks/bolts would be cut. For a bug out kit I personally don't like them, I would prefer a lock pick kit. But, some like quick and dirty. Some like quiet and collective.

The ultimate goal? Have a way to access when access is controlled, if you do that with bolt cutters, pick set, a winch/vehicle it ultimately doesn't matter. Just know what you have and how to work with it.

As an example, I would be much more comfortable dealing with a 20yo kid who has the latest and greatest in terms of firearms then dealing with a 50yo farmer who's used that same rifle for that time. He's experienced, he knows his abilities and has an end goal. You want to be that farmer.. haha

Monocrom

Flashaholic
That is the ticket right there. And if you don't have an end goal, that would be something to look into, with back ups to back ups.

For some bug out scenarios, the end goal can be as simple as having a safe temporary haven until one can return to their home. Some talk about never coming back. I can think of few scenarios that would be THAT bad. But if that happens, a good BOL should be able to act as a usable 2nd home until better arrangements can be made. (Assuming that the BOL isn't a friend or relative's house/apartment in a neighbouring state or county.)

If it'll be difficult for the BOL to function as a new home. After normalcy has resumed, it'll be time to look into apartments for rent in the area that an individual has bugged out to. This is going to be one of the very few advantages a solo individual will have over a group or family that has bugged out. Wouldn't even need an apartment. Even in pricey NYC, one can still find single rooms to rent for only $500.oo a month, with some effort put in. Leave the BOV parked on the street. Keep the BOB in the room. Not ideal, to be sure. But a workable solution until one can find work in their new county or even state.

Yet another reason to carry plenty of extra cash in the BOB. It's not primarily for buying food or gas along the way. It's mainly for bribing people to get what you want. Someone won't rent to you because you're not a local? Watch how quickly their attitude changes when your good friend Ben Franklin vouches for you. A sad, disgusting, fact of reality. Yes, horrific disasters can bring out the best in some. In many others, it brings out the worst. When that happens in others, being able to cater to their new (hopefully temporary) sense of "morality," can mean the difference between successfully bugging out or not.

nbp

Flashaholic
I feel like we've moved far from a list of useful stuff to a discussion of Bug Out Theory. Perhaps another thread would on that specific topic would be appropriate? Just a thought.

BloodLust

Enlightened
To put it back on topic...
Since I only have 1 car and it's my daily driver, I also keep stuff for general hygiene.
I have a Potette Plus for my kid. Since we live in a hurricane prone area, traffic can force us to be on the road for hours. The Potette Plus has disposable liners that turn the waste into gel. It can be used as an over the toilet seat as a potty trainer or you can use the foldout legs for it to stand on its own.

pTRU1-4821840dt.jpg

I keep small garbage bags, ziplocs, bottles of water (can be used for washing or drinking), tissue and toilet paper, baby wipes and baby wash (which adults can use too) in the car as well.
I always have a gym bag with running shoes and soccer shoes plus some workout/sports clothing. Some jackets and a towel and toiletries in there.The things in the gym back can also be used for an impromptu overnighter.
These are separate from the stuff in my GHB.

I also keep some of those urine bags for adults. The one which solidifies the urine. Came in handy a few times. I'm thinking of getting a folding potty or a Luggable Loo for adults as well.

There are some jackets, pillows, blanket and a sleeping bag as well. Since I live in a tropical country, I don't really need stuff for winter.
I do have those battery operated fans in the car as well to help with air circulation in case I have to shut off the car engine and AC.

I have those rain visors installed on the door/windows so that even if I crack a window open, I'm not as exposed.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Blood lust,
Great stuff!!!

For a while I carried a five gallon Spackle bucket with supplies in it, one of its many possible uses, included being a lug-a-loo. garbage bags for liners, held in place with a bungee cord, would do the trick. I even included a bottle of portapotti deodorant. That bucket just took up too much room.

So I consolidated to a 2 lb coffee container.

2/3 roll toilet paper
portapotti deoderant
Purel
wipes
gloves
Tampax
garbage bags

-7Lpbp6YLaakkpuXm66HfEUJJA7BeutoPo3wGuu_v8-_k7TUDkQlsiv72RyEuaze2UOUGwjIHHvX5G1UVnTbyJhha26jp1iE1cEaQkLC63hBedoMQqNy2-taoW6OIWAIb8TbcmLsNPpy-UNZTl6NHTk6VCM0SvvPrtZlI0OHscmKQHyaVtA6TqbhfJsLN9AUb1RU52veCkFsaZqFkkY-h3KFXDvpoobaOMc3GQpOYFXKf62wNOV4yfevnMW5w38wtZ4L932YlfwqaiHeiD2TSG0I13OZYWJFmhmImJfFlvITIQW1gOJ-GCf_UNSOE0iKR1GPxTC2fDIPWXQ0DIxSx_nwydTwcz_eGVtdAJJu9Zycv7ulfqcZNQ1x1eOg8iQgSGTMnP3tkU2su2-IrPCDcgXFOzyCD1UUltONXCW9XVDq063lUDfXwd778YJ6JWSmdR6CXDaZNc-biP-OwMBfAuZF-tS9XKGYyK1hcB0agoIc_lwMusdfpP4wMkCI4IkVViu5ZHQHzljLA5UnBj6sGwaH-O8CrSGPv3gASOsmQHSPi9n3UgOL8euTkqSr8oOWVGITXi-r7BA2yAK00Y2aOu1_iaVWQDjY0OSp1anH4ELJuAhX=w436-h775-no

I don't know why those scissors are in there instead of the first aid kit, but they'll be moved.
Also I need to replace the Purel, and gloves.

I had gifted a "Go Girl" I'll pick up a couple of those too.
A number of times I almost picked up a male or female urinal, and just never did.
This will work in a pinch though.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Once when hunting in a duck blind, how useful a 5 gallon spackle bucket could be was driven home.

It is a sturdy water-proof container for your gear that is easy to carry.
It can be used as a seat
You can stand on it
use it as a bear bag
use it to carry water
carry gathered firewood or keep some dry
It can be used as a flotation device

Use it to dig snow
Use it as a door for an igloo :rolleyes:

Use it as a porta-potti :nana:

Poppy

Flashaholic
Walmart has the Reliance Folding Toilet.
At least it won't take up as much space as a 5-gallon bucket.
96f2fd1a-183c-46dc-bd5b-23a7b8b80ac6_1.71479996902c854d7029d533ea4c8468.jpeg

So compared to a 5 gallon bucket:

It is more compact
you can sit on it
Maybe stand on it?
you can carry some water in the bags
If filled with methane the bags will float
Empty bags can be filled with air and used as flotation devices

Sounds like a plus to me! :)

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Hey guys, just a quick note on emergency food bars.

Not to be confused with dehydrated, individual meals or with MREs. These are the types that are actual bars. Often vacuum packed for years of freshness. But requiring to be eaten within a week of breaking that vacuum seal. You can eat them exclusively. But even though you'll be eating, expect to lose weight if you try to subsist on them alone for three days. I still think they're worth including in a BOB though.

Why?

Well, many generations ago, folks in poorer places used to use saw-dust in bread-making. It basically helped in making bigger loaves and extended the use of limited supplies of flour or wheat. The saw-dust was not consumed alone. But combined with the existing actual foodstuffs. Same thing with E. ration bars. For example: Have food in the morning (such as the breakfast portion of an MRE), midday would be a couple of bars. Dinner would be a dehydrated meal or the entree from the same MRE. I see these E. bars as a way to expand the food you bring with you, but without taking up a huge amount of space in your BOB or BOV.

Good places to start would be the following:
Mainstay, Datrex (their 2400 rations are excellent for tossing into a BOB), SOS, MayDay and Tac-Bar.

All are worth looking into. I've heard but cannot confirm that Tac-Bar is the most delicious out of all of them, and the closest to real food out of the bunch. But while the rest are all pretty close in price, Tac-Bar is easily more expensive. Also, it's the one clearly made for a BOV as one order comes in a plastic ammo can. You can thankfully take individual vacuum sealed bags out of the can and place into a BOB though. So that's good at least.

All of the above are worth looking into. If you don't mind paying a premium for an E. ration bar that tastes like real food, the Tac-Bar is going to be the no-brainer option. Though I like the Datrex ones for their very little use of space taken up in a pack. Along with the fact that each bar in the vacuum sealed little brick is individually wrapped.

Poppy

Flashaholic
LOL...
If you do, definitely bring one of those portable toilets along :laughing:

Every year, as winter approaches, I throw a $5 bag of Great Value Trail Mix in the car. I get it at WalMart.

The trail mix with M&Ms in it has about 3500 calories in 26oz and has a 1 year shelf life (lol... all though it won't last a year in my possession :) ) But should I get stuck in a snow storm, digesting 3500 calories will help to keep me warm.

I always have a bag or two on hand at home. It has a nice blend of fat, protein, carbohydrates, and fiber. No sawdust :)
Their Cranberry Trail mix is very tasty. It has a variety of cranberries, raisens, sunflower seeds, almonds, vitamin C, salt, oils, and juices. That's about 2860 calories in a 23 oz bag, also for $5. The Best if used by date is usually about a year after I buy them.

If bugging out in the car, canned soups might come along, they don't need to be cooked, and won't need water to be added.
Peanut butter will come along, and ritz crackers, and whatever hard cheeses I have in the fridge.

I was surprised to learn that a can of tuna packed in water, has only about 100 calories. Each slice of bread also has about 100 calories, and if packed in oil, and some mayo is added, that might add another 100 calories. If you make two sandwiches out of a can of tuna, you could have a about 600 calories meal. So grabbing whatever bread you have in the house as you run out the door is a good idea.

You'll probably want 1800-2400 calories a day, depending upon your level of exertion.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I'm already carrying probably a month's worth of stored calories on me as is. I could stand a good fast.

Unfortunately, going without food for over one full day can negatively affect a person both in terms of mood, and even some mental functioning. Not ideal, but even by themselves E. ration bars are worth a good look.

milehigher

Newly Enlightened
Unfortunately, going without food for over one full day can negatively affect a person both in terms of mood, and even some mental functioning. Not ideal, but even by themselves E. ration bars are worth a good look.
Are you accusing me of mental functioning ?

BloodLust

Enlightened
@ Monocrom
I've always been curious about these. Any personal preference in brand if you've tried them already? I've seen a website with Millenium bars of different flavors. Where do you get yours?

@ Poppy
Good idea on the trail mix. I was just in Walmart the other day and I forgot to pick some up. I love dried cranberries.
Trail Mix is one of the items one can choose to bring on the show Alone on the History channel. 10 people dropped on Vancouver Island. Last man to tap out wins.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Going to send you a link for Datrex bars. If you like something somewhat close to lemon cake, Tac-Bar is a good option. Should have mentioned that they're made by a couple who contract out the work to a local bakery or local baking facility. Most likely the latter, as the consistency seems good. (Yeah, a small Mom & Pop business apparently makes the best tasting ones.) Though last I checked, the lemon flavor is the only one they offer. I'll PM you a link to their site too. But the place you can get Datrex bars is one I've used for multiple orders with zero issues. Let's just say very limited experience with the Tac-Bar one.