The lounge 2104 (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mund

Newly Enlightened
Re: The V54 Lounge.

I left note this time .... Still didn't work

Thats a bummer... and a Holiday Weekend, with time to leisurely play with stuff you bought, try, test, at a relaxing pace. Feel for you! Maybe redirect delivery (leave a note) to have them deliver to a neighbors house when not home, have them sign!

If this is the norm... what is up with your mailman/mail lady ?________ Are they ticked off at you, personal vendetta or something?

Full Cream

Enlightened

Talking about deliveries and BS...

Bought a bunch of cells from NotsoFastech over 3 weeks ago. They are being posted through Philippines Post, apparently due to the cells being what they are. Ok. Did a check of status:
Date/time Status Current location
8/15/2014 8:28:25 AM Prepare dispatch to destination countryPHILIPPINES

Has anyone else had stuff sent via Philippines Post? Should I be concerned that it still says 'Prepare dispatch' not 'SENT' ?

LSX

Newly Enlightened

Talking about deliveries and BS...

Bought a bunch of cells from NotsoFastech over 3 weeks ago. They are being posted through Philippines Post, apparently due to the cells being what they are. Ok. Did a check of status:
Date/time Status Current location
8/15/2014 8:28:25 AM Prepare dispatch to destination countryPHILIPPINES

Has anyone else had stuff sent via Philippines Post? Should I be concerned that it still says 'Prepare dispatch' not 'SENT' ?

I had two packages of batteries returned to fasttech that I ordered. One of them was through Philippines post. So I decided to bite the bullet, order 20 batteries (Samsung 25r's, Panasonic PFs, MNKE 26650s, Panasonic Protected NCR18650As etc...) and have them shipped via surface mail with tracking. I know full well they are going to take forever to get here but when they do I should have a few to tie me over for a little while.

Full Cream

Enlightened

@ LSX,

So did FT let you know they received the returned package or did you have to deduct that via the shipper your self?

LSX

Newly Enlightened

@ LSX,

So did FT let you know they received the returned package or did you have to deduct that via the shipper your self?

They let me know that it had been returned and refunded my money.

michael3

Newly Enlightened

i have a srt6vn mod. i have talked some to vinh and jmpaul320 about my question. vinh does great work so this is nothing against him at all. vinh actually offered to undo the mod or change it at no cost. so he obviously is a great guy as everyone here already knows. i am just looking to see if anybody else has any thoughts on my question/ issue?. my question is this or issue, my srt6 was bumped to 4 amp and dedomed xm-l2 theoretically i should have gone from stock ansi lumen output of 930 to 1100 or a little better. Vinh was guessing that i would get an extra 300 lumens. i guess led emitter lumens at 4 amps would be 1400 i think he said. but of course some is lost in heat and the reflector etc. and also some is lost in the dedome. so i got the light back and the throw was unbelievable and because of that i thought (subjectively) i thought it was surely brighter than before. and vinh did such a good job you couldn't even tell he opened the thing up to work on it, top notch workmanship. so out of curiousity i sent the light to jmpaul320 to test the lumen output to see how much brighter it was and found out surprisingly that it was less bright than before as far as otf lumens. the max output was initially 930 lumens at turn on and 850 lumens after 30 sec. i was very surprised. Vinh thinks that it is due to the dedome that i lost 300 or more lumens otf and jmpaul thinks that because of the 4 amp boost that the batteries cannot sustain a high enough forward voltage to maintain a higher lumen output. so i would like to know what others think and also wonder would the forward voltage issue be dealt with ( meaning lowered ) if there was a 0.5 amp boost bringing the total up to 3.5 amps ( dedomed still) or would dropping the boost all together allow for at least the same otf of 930 and 850 with dedome and longer run times or would that just cause there to be even less otf lumens with dedome? or with boost and no dedome would the otf lumens be greater if the increased forward voltage that the batteries can't sustain is really the issue? are there any other single cell 18650 vn mods that have the extra lumens and throw or is everybody experiencing the same loss as mine? thanks everybody. and 2 thumbs up to jmpaul and Vinh for all their help.

Last edited:

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast

...my question is this or issue, my srt6 was bumped to 4 amp and dedomed xm-l2 theoretically i should have gone from stock ansi lumen output of 930 to 1100 or a little better. Vinh was guessing that i would get an extra 300 lumens. i guess led emitter lumens at 4 amps would be 1400 i think he said

You're making a couple assumptions here...first one is that the stock light would actually have delivered 930 lumens OTF. That may not be the case...certainly some of Nitecore's lights are over-rated, this is well established. Second one is that de-doming always gives you the same reduction in lumens...sometimes it seems to make a huge difference, and other times it seems more subtle. But it always is going to reduce OTF lumens...the dome is not decorative, it is there for a reason. There are multiple variables...how clean does the dome come off, how does the new beam pattern interact with the reflector, etc. Probably there are more I'm not aware of...but the point is, theoretical numbers are not much use. That's why I urge Vinh to do more testing, if he can...that way the numbers will be more accurate. It will mean more work, of course, but it will also reduce this kind of issue, where output is lower than expected. I'd be happy to pay a few dollars more for each light if they were tested and certified at a given output/throw, like saabluster did with the Deft-X.

It is pretty safe to say that if you lower the boost, output will drop also. It might not drop as much as theory would suggest, because of the issue you mentioned, but it certainly isn't going to make it brighter. Likewise, if you are using the right cells, boosting WILL make it brighter, all else equal. But it might make it more sensitive to battery voltage...on my P25vn there is a HUGE difference between turbo with a fresh cell, and turbo with a cell at say, 3.8 volts. So you really only get the max boost for a short period before it begins to decline in output.

Maybe you should have read jmpaul's suggestion, and kept in in mind. If you really like a light, why let a number change your mind? Knowing it does "only" 850 lumens after the mod doesn't really mean anything. It still throws like crazy, right? It still looks a lot brighter than stock, right? So what is the problem? (I know from experience this is easy to tell someone else...but harder to accept regarding your own light. But you hopefully see my point, slightly hypocritical though it may be.)

michael3

Newly Enlightened

no, i don't think your a hypocrite, and I appreciate your input. i do understand that the stock may not have been the 930 but i just wondered if others were experiencing something similar or is this possibly the mod for some interesting reason or is it that the light is just not one that can successfully be modded in this fashion? if it is the dedome that is causing the large loss of lumens then i may consider dome on, if it is the forward voltage then i may consider less boost or no boost. because i am also considering runtime on my batteries. if there is no gain then reverting to the original with greater runtimes on max would be preferable. if it is the light then i may leave it. but if others are not experiencing this on similar lights then it remains a mystery unless someone elsehas some insight. either way thanks for your response, i know there is a good bit to learn about all of this.

jmpaul320

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Dedome causes most of the lumen loss. But you still get more lumens down range since the throw is increased.

chops728

Flashlight Enthusiast

I bet if you took a stock SRT6 you would see it's not as bright as you remember--I have a P16 that vinh modded and 2 more stock--I thought these lights had very good throw and flood--not even in the same ball park with the P16vn --grant that they have more flood being domed but no comparison--I also have a SRT6--I think it's awesome----check your tail amperage without switch--then put the switch in the loop and check again--your switch might have lots of resistance not letting you see the boost

djtzar

Newly Enlightened

I'm a Fenix guy , bought a few stock ones (E05 2014 Edt & E20 2014 Edt & TK35) , before I came across Vihn's work , what would you guys suggest for single 18650 battery ?

The P35Vn ?

michael3

Newly Enlightened

so w/o the boost then i would be down to 500 to 600 lumens does that sound right? and still i am wondering if anyone else with one cell lights is experiencing this or are there some documented 1x 16340, 1x 18350 or 1x 18650 lights that are getting a lumen boost and increased throw ,or lux however you want to say it, from Vinhs circuit boost and dedome. if so then i may consider switching to a light that increases in both areas. I know, I know. i am being picky. but it would still be nice to know, thanks

michael3

Newly Enlightened

actually i just looked over jmpaul's lumen sphere readings. it looks like all of the 1 cell lights took a similar blow in the lumens dept. meaning that they lost some otf but gained significant throw. is this what everyone is experiencing? thanks.

chops728

Flashlight Enthusiast

the only way to know what you have would be to test a stock light=baseline then test a modded light--it's hard to know anything without having the initial baseline

michael3

Newly Enlightened

of course now that i think about it, vihn's pics of the olight s10vn with dedome and then with current boost looked like it gained in both area's. of course that is just what appears. it would be nice to get jmpaul to test the differences on that one, stock then dedome and then dedome with current boost

michael3

Newly Enlightened

i wonder if i do dome on if it will gain otf lumens? this in reference to the forward voltage issue.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast

i wonder if i do dome on if it will gain otf lumens? this in reference to the forward voltage issue.

Forward voltage has nothing whatsoever to do with dome on, or off, as far as I know. They are unrelated.

All else equal, dome on will always be brighter than dome off. But then, of course, you will have drastically reduced throw. You have to decide what you want more...no one else can tell you that.

michael3

Newly Enlightened

Forward voltage has nothing whatsoever to do with dome on, or off, as far as I know. They are unrelated.

All else equal, dome on will always be brighter than dome off. But then, of course, you will have drastically reduced throw. You have to decide what you want more...no one else can tell you that.
right, sorry i should have been more clear. the forward voltage issue is that with the current boost vf goes up which if i understand right from jmpaul that this would keep the light from producing the number of lumens it could because the batteries ie 18650 x 1 cannot sustain this forward voltage at 4 amps and even on 2x18350 it cannot sustain it. but what you said is clear that dome on is always brighter than dome off. so i see that as you said they are independant of one another,and yes i know i have to decide which i prefer. a difficult choice. i guess it would depend on how much otf lumens are gained with dome on and current boost. i know that it would only be guess but iam wondering how much of an increase there would be for otf lumens if i get dome on and i currently have 850 lumens? so the only light i saw on jmpauls list that maintained the same output and increased in throw for 1x18650 was the tx25c2vn.

Last edited:

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast

...yes i know i have to decide which i prefer. a difficult choice. i guess it would depend on how much otf lumens are gained with dome on and current boost. i know that it would only be guess but iam wondering how much of an increase there would be for otf lumens if i get dome on and i currently have 850 lumens?

Well, do you have an intended purpose for the light? If you want it to use it as a walking-around light, to use at close range/indoors, or you if you like the cooler tint/smoother beam of dome on, then you should stick with that. It you want to use it at long range, or to impress people with how bright it is, or like warmer tint, go with dome off. Those differences in beam profile/tint are going to make a MUCH larger difference than adding 20% more lumens, or whatever it turns out to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.