The Malkoff Front Porch

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to find an older maglite host off ebay so I can make this happen.

You don't have to worry about choking the cone with this Maglite setup.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
You telling me you don't have a single old school mag lying around?😂😂

I really don't. When I was younger I thought the metal maglites were what the rich folks had.

what all maglites do i need to best take advantage of the Malkoff setup?

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
The old incan don't do much as is.. 6x are good for kubaton. I kept a 7C in my work truck for years. Almost sold it with the truck until I realized it had ML historic value.
Kernel, I have a new 2D in box. If you want to check them out, pm your address and I'll send it your way

greatscoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a trusty 3D in my wife's car, went to check it out for a conversion and it had been ruined by an alkaleak. Definitely going to find one to convert. No alkies this time.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
This time of year I try to stop in rumage stores once every couple weeks or so. Such as Salvation Army or Hospice stores. You can find Mags for few dollars. I can remember hauling a bunch of stuff to a charity event at local Church. Man, i came home with more cr*p than I brought

ledbetter

Enlightened
Maybe I'm missing something here, but won't this new adapter make the beam basically the same as any mdc/mdx? The maglite reflector is gone in this set up, so unless you can get the m61t/m91t to fit(will it?), the beam will have less throw than Gene's original maglite conversions using the stock reflector. A big awkward mule with leaky batteries. Doesn't sound tempting to me but to all those maglite fanboys it may be a fun way to relive the glory days of having a ninja beater in their truck.

AstroTurf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe I'm missing something here, but won't this new adapter make the beam basically the same as any mdc/mdx? The maglite reflector is gone in this set up, so unless you can get the m61t/m91t to fit(will it?), the beam will have less throw than Gene's original maglite conversions using the stock reflector. A big awkward mule with leaky batteries. Doesn't sound tempting to me but to all those maglite fanboys it may be a fun way to relive the glory days of having a ninja beater in their truck.
not so, on the mule part...

any reflectorized module will work in the mod. to include the m61hot for example.

Jim

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Yes you will get less throw. If mags are good for anything it's that but with this adapter you can run any M series you want with any tint also his V6 wildcat which he just confirmed to me will work. Not to mention much better heat sink and should be a huge gain in runtime. Pretty neat.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
Look at the size, thickness, of the adapter. It's a big chunk of Aluminum. Combine that with the thick ML heads and we got a super sinking host.. I'm pretty sure all the adapters, whether D2, D3, D4-6.. are equal in construction. Just gotta be sure of proper voltage for the specific drop-in running.. Li-ion or NiMH the battery combos are endless.
My opinion,, this is the holy grail of modularity omnivores. And... Made in America!

thermal guy

Flashaholic
You bring up a good point. Why if there all the same does he call one a 2-D 3-D and 4-6D?? Unless it's just so the user knows not to use the wrong drop in/battery combination. I don't have the hart to bother him again. Someone take one for the team and ask😂😂😂