The Malkoff Front Porch

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Well from now on I'll send you my lights for a photo shoot. Lol but I'll want them back.

NH Lumens

Enlightened
I've been at it long enough there's no excuse.

I'll share with you my most cherished photo ever taken. This is my wife on our honeymoon....41 years ago.

Donna-1.jpg

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very Nice; but shouldn't you have been doing stuff we don't want to know about...rather than taking pictures of your new Bride:whistle::thinking::aaa:

Definitely appreciate you sharing as usual and congrats on 41yrs:thumbsup:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Leap baby? Or is it because it doesn't seem to of been that long for her? I'm a little slow😁

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Unfortunately I sold mine (previous gen to current) I must have been in a hurry and missed it.

More details...actual voltage of cells, was the module fresh off the shelf or already being used. It shouldn't be that far off. I notice once a light warms up, the readings can be different. Are the cells fresh? It only takes a second for the readings to drastically change when using cells. using primaries with 6.xx volts only takes a few seconds to be below 6 volts; resulting in skewed results. This is a reason why power supplies should be used for current draw readings. I don't have a good answer for you. Seems that the voltages are not what you think they are.

I am wondering if the info on the site is accurate? It shows both M61/M61N 800ma@6v but M61W@650ma. I would think the W is less efficient but I could be wrong. I know with the M61/M61N it doesn't take much to go from lower draw to an amp or better. This is where I can see the big increase you are seeing, but i don't know all the details. They do still seem a little high, but you have current gen where mine are before the driver update; so your readings sound in line for other voltages. If you are thinking you are reading 6v but aren't; thats where it makes sense to me. Anyway...

They were fresh 123's. Starting volt on both 3.2.Got 1 A steady. What's strange is I'm getting 1.2 amps with a Lithium ion at 4.2. None of my other Malkoff pull more from a 18650 then they do with two primaries.

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
They were fresh 123's. Starting volt on both 3.2.Got 1 A steady. What's strange is I'm getting 1.2 amps with a Lithium ion at 4.2. None of my other Malkoff pull more from a 18650 then they do with two primaries.
That's interesting because i show higher draw on li-ion 4.15-4.2v than 6v on pretty much all modules.

Do you have any runtime test data on that M61W? IF you do, you can do a new test to make sure it matches. I don't have a clear answer for you. That is a big jump (double) from what you previously got.
She's got a Malkoff M91 and tricap so I think it's ok to post in this thread
Nice:thumbsup:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Yes I'll have to do a new run test.1A draw at 6 volts is way high.My new M61's are pulling around 800 Ma at that voltage and I'm sure I have checked draw on this before. Not sure what's going on. I'd blame my meter but I'm sure it's reading right.

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast

All M61 modules should run at higher current with the lower voltage of a Li-Ion than at the higher voltage of 2xCR123. All of mine do. A lower current at ~4v would indicate that the output would be considerably lower than higher current at ~6v. The current regulation should draw more current from a lower voltage than from a higher one to maintain output.

I don't have an M61W, but I have a couple of M61Ns:

XP-G2 4000K:
  • Li-Ion - 880mA
  • 2xCR123 - 580mA

XP-G 5000K:
  • Li-Ion - 1A
  • 2xCR123 - 740mA

Your M61W would likely be configured to run at slightly higher current due to the decreased efficiency/output compared to an M61N.

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Yes your right. I went back through my data. Mine does draw more off of a 18650. I misspoke or got confused I'm thinking lol.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I have a 4 year old😂😂😂

But no way should my M61W be pulling 1A at 6 volts. Not only is this almost 400ma above what the specks are. I'm dam sure I have check it before. I'm pretty sure my meter is fine as I'm still getting the readings on my other M61's as should be.ill send a shout out to GENE see what he thinks. It's almost as if it jumped up in draw. But not sure how that could of happened. Thanks for the information and not sure why I was thinking the way I was with my stuff drawing more off of an 18650. I know better then that! Hell, I have checked my stuff quite often.

Last edited:

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
A Nichia 219B V3 M61 is spec'd to run at 940mA at 6v. To me it doesn't seem out of the question that a warm XP-G would be similar. I'll admit though that I'm not as familiar with the efficiency of the newer Nichias in comparison to the Crees,and if going by the specs on the MD site, you are correct.

Last edited:

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
After looking closer at the MD site, I'm going to bet that the listed current spec is wrong for the m61W. If an M61 and M61N are configured at 800mA, it's not likely that a less efficient warm emitter is spec'd lower than that unless we are to expect considerably lower output.

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Understood, but a warm emitter will be considerably lower output at the same power. The lower the color temperature of a white emitter, the less efficient the emitter is. At the same power (V x I), a neutral emitter will have lower output than a cool emitter, and a warm emitter will have even lower output than neutral. This is due to the increased doping of the emitter required to lower the color temperature.

Therefore, I don't believe it is possible that if cool white M61 requires 800mA to produce 450 lumens, and a neutral white M61 produces 400 lumens at the same power, that a warm white M61 can produce 360 lumens at 650mA.

Last edited: