The Malkoff Front Porch

340pd

Newly Enlightened
With respect to "programing" my MDC,

thank you for that very valuable information. You helped me understand why the light was acting abnormally at times. I thought it was my thumb moving too fast. I also have a couple of Quarks for car use and their UI is just a bit different, with them I find now, I just get to the setting I want for less than one second and the light will remain on that level until make a change. I can now set my kitchen (wifes) MDC123 to the middle setting without having to explain to her why the low always comes on first.
That is a relief as I thought with all the setting changes I was getting Parkinson's.

Enlightened
Great name, I love the 340pd and all the scandium revolvers ^

I'm waiting for either off time memory like everyone else, or better yet an actual programmable driver. Could be a solder bridge away from programming to keep most people happy who want simple.

Cree XHP 70 LED

Newly Enlightened
I needed a light to eat up my SF123A cells when the Surefires and Elzetta go dim, so I have a new 5700K MDC123 SHO on the way. My last one I sold, it was 6200K and I'm hoping this one looks a little less cold and also it got a 70 lumen bump to 320.

I'm also eying the AA light, 115 lumens seems low though, and it is compared almost all other AA lights, but the build quality is just so good. Who am I kidding I'm eying all Malkoff's 😆

3oni

Newly Enlightened
This thread is why I joined CPF! It's been invaluable for research, and in helping me choose my first Malkoff -- which just arrived today.

I've been gravitating towards simpler and simpler lights, and this certainly fits the bill. I went with an M61N drop-in (high, NW, 95 CRI), hi/lo switch, and tricap.

Couldn't be happier with it. It's exactly what I was hoping it would be -- and I've already dropped it once, so now it's mine. ;)

Thank you for this thread. :)

Attachments

• malk02.jpg
    malk02.jpg
    589.9 KB · Views: 116

CHNeal

Enlightened
Ok so I guess it's official, I just don't like the tri-cap.
Got a few MD3 bodies in with the standard and they are excellent for me anyway. I also replaced the tri with a standard on my MD2 and the same there so I guess I have a few Tri-caps shove in a draw to never be seen again.

Cree XHP 70 LED

Newly Enlightened
Yeah well everyone is different. I bought tricaps for 4 of my Malkoff's and put the round normal ones in my parts box. When my brother in law came over, he asked if you could get them with a normal round tailcap so I showed him the normal caps. He doesn't like the look of the tricaps. I really prefer them. I'm glad we have a choice.

CHNeal

Enlightened
Me neither. Nor the the round cap. I just can't get over the battery rattle with the Malkoff switches ):
I get that. I just buy the $4.00 battery bumper kit ( 2 O rings) with every body or light and problem gone.

fulee9999

Enlightened
but the battery bumper kit only reduces the forward and backward rattle, but no the side rattle no?
I mean all my Malkoff caps ( if I use 2xCR123 in them ) rattle when shaken like maracas.

CHNeal

Enlightened
but the battery bumper kit only reduces the forward and backward rattle, but no the side rattle no?
I mean all my Malkoff caps ( if I use 2xCR123 in them ) rattle when shaken like maracas.
Truth is I am not really sure as I haven't tried with primaries. Ill load three up in a MD3 when I get home and see if it will carry a tune.

CHNeal

Enlightened
On the topic of switches kinda, Is there a tad longer switch boot that could be used in the MD tail caps? I really prefer the standard over the tri but if given the choice I would go sans shroud or in a perfect world a taller switch boot.

Cree XHP 70 LED

Newly Enlightened
The cr123a cells will rattle, since it's bored for 18mm. Gene could make a sleeve for 123a cells, olight used to include them but I think most people use 18650 cells. I have a stash of 123a cells for emergencies.

CHNeal

Enlightened
@fulee9999 I checked a MD3 this morning with 3 cr123a and the bumper kit and the only way I could get a sound out of it was to smack it into my palm pretty hard. I carried it on a 2 mile walk to work and its been in my pocket since 0600 here at work and not a sound.

Hemicrusher

Newly Enlightened
Any issue using the M361 with the standard Surefire 6P twisty tailcap? I have a 6P lying around and curious if I need to convert it to a clicky.