The Malkoff Front Porch

Sarkis

Newly Enlightened
Holy smokes the SHO already sold out !! Darn, I had placed a large order last night and as soon as I saw the email for the SHO I emailed Cathy to have it added to my order but checked again a mi Ute later and it was sold out. Should have just purchased it then emailed Cathy to have it added to order. Hopefully more will be available, it's okay though I also placed an order for a bodyguard v2 last week which is coming in today.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Well they sold out very fast.He will me making more.Not much to not like about this new one. You can use two primaries more throw than a M91 and looks like really good run times.

Sarkis

Newly Enlightened
Just got the 21700 to go with my m61hot. I cut the Prometheus clip, heated it up just a bit, and bent it a little bigger. It feels and looks sturdy. Now just waiting on the m61SHO.

Attachments

• m11.jpg
    m11.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 69
  • m22.jpg
    m22.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 67
  • m33.jpg
    m33.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 66

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
A pro-Malkoff rant I thought best suited to the front porch…

I had been running a pair of Hi/Lo M91BN's in 21700 bodies - sometimes on a 21700, other times on a pair of 18350's. Inventory stars aligned, and I ordered (2) MD3 bodies, a Super Hound Dog head (neutral) and a Wildcat XP-L Head (neutral). Once in hand, the big heads went on the 21700 bodies, and the M91b's went on the MD3's.

First, I love the big heads driven by the single 21700. I didn't love the beam on the Hound Dog for my uses, so I added some DC fix and it is like a juiced up WildCat. That modified Hound Dog Super is the best dog walking light I've ever used - it easily throws 400 feet while also lighting up your feet. The wildcat sits on my nightstand - I like it for indoors but isn't a slouch outside either. There are so many positives to this battery format with these large heads - great size, so much run time on high, and they do not seem to overheat with extended use. You give up a bit of output on high and lot of output on low, but is anyone buying these large heads to run on low?

And the MD3 w/ M91bN is the ultimate omnivore. I currently reserve these lights for emergency and travel use (we have lots of power outages) and it is just fun to think about all the battery combinations that could give me light. Mine are loaded with 2x18500's, but if it fits, it works. There is an old YouTube video about the MD3 Omnivore that could use an update, because the current M91bN can handle anything from multiple Li-Ion down to a couple Alkaline AA's without the need to swap drop ins.

It's an awesome family of lights - definitely something for everyone.

I did that when I first started.. Except with 9P body and M61LL.

You can even fit 2xAAA with a spacer and even 3xCR2 with a spacer - or 4xCR2 without a spacer but the module would have to be M91T or such.

I love the Beam profile of the Hound Dog. Perfect. Do not like wildcat.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
so the newest M61SHO approaches M91T except its limit is 9V, not 12V.
I wish he would rename each generation as it's hard tell which gen a light might be. For example M91T went through several iterations as did Hound Dog as did M61 and M61SHO.
How about M62 and M63?

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Ya it's like an M91 on roids. Right around the same output but more throw and as I said you can use two primary cells. And you get full output from 9 volts down to 3.8. Hope he makes more soon. I missed out of the first batch.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am a M91T person because it can do everything M61SHOW can and more. It can run on 1, 2 or 4x123 cells.
I don't know if M91T can run as well on 1 cell as M61SHOW but the ability to expand to 12V is more important.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Well kinda. You can run the 91 on 2X123 but it draws a ton over what's recommended. Also this new 61 has the same output from 9 volts all the way to 3.8. That's a new feature.

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
The new SHO can be installed in VME w/AA tube running Vapcell H10. Make a neat lil self defense light?

It'd also be good in a VME head on a surefire edcl1-t/eb1 and thyrm switchback.

So many good options…can't wait to try it out. But really I'm going to be thrilled to have a malkoff option that puts out that much light in a p60 form factor.