The Malkoff Potential Group Buy Sounding Board

PaperKnife

Newly Enlightened
What are people using the amber for?

For some of the same reasons people use red for night adapted eyes, I (personally) prefer to use amber.
It's a "warm" "soft" type of color and allows better contrast (to my eyes) than red. I use both red and amber for night time illumination, preferring the amber more. I know many will dig into the science with cones and rods, etc. But it comes down to personal preference really. If it works for your eyes 👀 than you're good 👍🏼

mckeand13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds good. Thanks for the explanation, I hadn't thought of that.

Maybe I need to try one out!

PaperKnife

Newly Enlightened
Maybe I need to try one out!

Definitely.
I just feel like there's not many brands that produce amber lights.
What springs to mind is:

-HDS amber
-SureFire Aviator (in amber)
-WelTool M7-AM

There are some CPF members including myself who are interested in a M61 in amber but we'll see how far that goes...
Hopefully we get enough bite and can get a bunch made :)

daffy

Enlightened
Amber/Yellow is my favourite color.
Hence HDS Amber, SLN quad amber.

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah it would reduce visual acuity.

I'm thinking our best bet may be to do a colored run, like 10 red 10 ylw 10 grn. IDK if Gene would be up for that, but that may be the solution to getting these colored emitter versions made.

If we did color runs, I was thinking LL output? LL seems like a good compromise, LLL may also be alright too.

ledbetter

Enlightened
I have no use for colored leds but do have a couple of Surefire lens filters that fit over bezels and do a great job of protecting lights when thrown in bag or glove box. Also do an ok job of a fake low level for a single high output led. Wouldn't this provide the same function while still retaining the more useful form of natural light?

I would be interested in a neutral or warm m31 LL or LLL.

archimedes

Flashaholic
I have no use for colored leds but do have a couple of Surefire lens filters that fit over bezels and do a great job of protecting lights when thrown in bag or glove box. Also do an ok job of a fake low level for a single high output led. Wouldn't this provide the same function while still retaining the more useful form of natural light?....

I would think that would be significantly less efficient, electrically and otherwise, if all you want is color output.

AstroTurf

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd be in for a red...

let me know where and when.

Jim

Yeah it would reduce visual acuity.

I'm thinking our best bet may be to do a colored run, like 10 red 10 ylw 10 grn. IDK if Gene would be up for that, but that may be the solution to getting these colored emitter versions made.

If we did color runs, I was thinking LL output? LL seems like a good compromise, LLL may also be alright too.

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I have time today I'm going to reach out to Gene to see if he will do a run of possibly 30 colored versions. I'm thinking either 15x red/ 15x amber or 10 red/ 10 amber/ 10 green.

Output would likely be LL

If anyone has particular LEDs in mind, let me know. I know Gene has Green and Red in stock from Osram. Would probably have to source yellow but Osram also makes yellow.

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have some kind of deep red in a Virence Clemence Jetbeam AAA. more spectrum cover. ???

Yes sir, Hyper Red was if am not mistaken, deep red. I don't know what exact emitters have but these (XPE2) are the one i got recently and been using them in many hosts so far

Much better option is SST-20DR

Last edited:

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks id, - not so sure, but can see more with this red I am told. what is SST-20DR.
id, you never fail to impress me with news of all things new. lol.

thanks man. ( Darryl )

I think Clemence's red is just regular red, not far red as SST-20DR

Last edited:

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think Clemence's red is just regular red, not far red as SST-20DR

E17A use phosphor converted red. It has much wider spectrum coverage than normal narrow band color LED. We can say that this PC color LED has higher "CRI". Under monochromatic narrow band LED, only limited colors close to the emitted spectrum show color, everything else will be very dark or black. Under PC LED, you see more colors.
[Clemence]