The most powerful Maglite mods list

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
The MOSFET carries ALL the current and has a tiny fraction of the resistance of even a modified Magswitch. The Mag switch itself just controls the MOSFET with a nanoAmp or 2.

The MOSFETs I'm using are N-FETs (N-Channel MOSFET), they turn ON when you apply a (+) voltage and OFF when you apply a (-) or zero voltage.
The PMOS or P-FET (P-Channel MOSFET) operates just the opposite. (+) for off (-) for ON. But due to their semiconductor design they have higher resistance.

A CMOS is a design method for semiconductor chips.

The soft-start circuitry just controls the MOSFETs on or off state a lot faster than you can with the Magswitch. Other than that, the MOSFET itself is wired the same.

OK, so then does the stock magswitch get connected only to a circuit with 2 contact points on the mofset, and then the main Pos/Neg battery & bipin leads have another set of separate contact points on the mofset?

Timaxe

Newly Enlightened
OK, so then does the stock magswitch get connected only to a circuit with 2 contact points on the mofset, and then the main Pos/Neg battery & bipin leads have another set of separate contact points on the mofset?

That is the idea. There are basically 2 circuits/branches connected to the battery.

1 runs through the mag switch and the sensing side of the MOSFET. This turns the MOSFET on or off, and draws very little current. As a result, the switch is not in any danger or arcing - hardly any current goes through it.

The other is on the switching side of the MOSFET - this connects the bulb to the battery. When the tiny current runs through the sensing side, the switching side turns on and the bulb and this side handles the full current. This is very little resistance on this side, so when it is ON it is basically a direct connection to the battery.

My terms may not be quite right, but it basically does what an automotive relay does. If you pop the hood on your car, you'll find a relay box near or inside the fuse box. This part does the same thing, using a safe and tiny current from the control panel in the cab (blinkers, headlight switches, etc) to switch a large current on/off. It's much nicer/safer to do that than running those actual high-current wires through the cab to a tiny switch on your steering wheel.

DMC

Newly Enlightened
LuxLuther,
Have you given any thought about creating a LED version of "The most powerful Maglite mods list"?

Thanks!
DMC :popcorn:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Well, TBH, relative to these listed incans "Powerful LED" seems like an oxymoron. :grin2::poke:

The only LED's I am aware of that REPORTS to put out more than 500 Torch Lumens is that WiseLED Tactical light shown here. I'm not exactly sure how they determined their "1,000" lumen promotional rating. They don't say if it is "Torch Lumens" or if it was accurately measured (i.e. did they test it in an integrating sphere with accurate, calibrated light meter)....but that is all I am currently aware of, besides the Aspherical Mags which put out a hellatious hotspot.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

jimjones3630

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is one schematic utilizing a mosfet with mag switch. I didn't quite grasp it until started looking at it on paper.

Sorry about the size of it, couldn't get it to resize down.

Jim
fmosfetschemm670a4a1vc6.jpg

Bushman5

Enlightened
what would happen if you used a aspherical lens on this monster of light? too hot for the lens? would you have a weapon that would burn your target form a 100 + yards? I mention the aspherical becasue i have ZERO use for a flood style beam, i much prefer a pinpoint, preferably about 12" wide max......

very interested....

PKEFSHOOTOUT015.jpg

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
The problem with the aspherical lenses (including a thinner one that I recently got) is they need pretty much a "flat point" like that of an LED to put into the focal length of the lens. Problem with incan bulbs (especially huge filaments like the 64623 bulb in the Torch) is they have the tubular length of the bulb that does not give the lens a "fixed light source spot" for it to focus.

Your best bet is to move into FiveMega's 2.5" Turbo or 3" reflectors. Another truly excellent reflector that he had a while ago was a 2" Deep reflector...but also the Osram 64623 is not as good as other bulbs because of its huge, transverse filament. It is used as a projector bulb, so it is a flood by design.

I understand what you are driving at though, as I had the very same issue, and moved away from LED's as a result. Also remember that some flashaholics insist on a beam being perfectly smooth and free from any artifacts, so they use reflectors with an "orange peel" or stipple textures. That wipes out that nice hotspot you are looking for.

So many factors control what you are looking for, but you can get it. You also didn't say 12" from what distance. That is a bit unrealistic for most flashlights at any distance....they are not lasers, after all. The best example of an almost laser-beam hotspot is the $2500 Maxa Beam searchlight.

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was just looking at this thread just last night, thinking "Boy this was a good thread". Thanks, in part, to a lot of favorable references to me :grin2: .

I ran the numbers again for the 458. Still shows 11,000 lumens at 20.4 volts. hehe hehe hehe. Damn I gotta build me another one of those.
Maybe with plasmaman's Li-Ion Ds and PWM.

Bushman5

Enlightened
The problem with the aspherical lenses (including a thinner one that I recently got) is they need pretty much a "flat point" like that of an LED to put into the focal length of the lens. Problem with incan bulbs (especially huge filaments like the 64623 bulb in the Torch) is they have the tubular length of the bulb that does not give the lens a "fixed light source spot" for it to focus.

Your best bet is to move into FiveMega's 2.5" Turbo or 3" reflectors. Another truly excellent reflector that he had a while ago was a 2" Deep reflector...but also the Osram 64623 is not as good as other bulbs because of its huge, transverse filament. It is used as a projector bulb, so it is a flood by design.

I understand what you are driving at though, as I had the very same issue, and moved away from LED's as a result. Also remember that some flashaholics insist on a beam being perfectly smooth and free from any artifacts, so they use reflectors with an "orange peel" or stipple textures. That wipes out that nice hotspot you are looking for.

So many factors control what you are looking for, but you can get it. You also didn't say 12" from what distance. That is a bit unrealistic for most flashlights at any distance....they are not lasers, after all. The best example of an almost laser-beam hotspot is the $2500 Maxa Beam searchlight.

Thank Lux, you are a wealth of knowledge for us newbies. :twothumbs

i think i may have to start with an easy mod first (basic ROP) and go from there....

Action

Enlightened
i think i may have to start with an easy mod first (basic ROP) and go from there....

The ROP is a great first mod. Its one of my favorite lights. In a 2C with AW's batteries its a great combo of light and runtime.

Ra

Flashlight Enthusiast
It just amazes me what people do for 3 feet extra throw !!!

Great light !! :twothumbs

JimmyM deserves some credit for his 11,000-lumen Mag458 monster-on-steroids light. The light is 3 feet long and is powered by 17 high-current 1/2D NiMH 4Ah cells. The beauty of the 90W Osram 458 bulb is that it can be overdriven to insane levels. I tried the mighty 623 bulb in this light and it popped instantly. After I bought JimmyM's light, I added FiveMega's new 3-inch head to give it more focused beam. This light will rock your socks. That's it on the left. Next to it are a 3,000-lumen 623 and an approx. 900-lumen, low-resistance 1185 regulated with AWR's Hotdriver (11.1V). Both are in FiveMega hosts that are bored for high-current GP2000 NiMH cells and both have external charging jacks.

DSC00684.jpg

jimjones3630

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey JimmyM, do you recall where got the 1/2D cells and did the FAA require prior notice of intension to use at night?

Great light canon

jimjones3630

Flashlight Enthusiast
JimmyM thanks for the info.

dsc00198tq9.jpg

Above 64430substitute tungsram, 35w, 6v pushed to 9.6vbat, 7.55A, 72.5w, 46.5lumen/w, with 3xA123,= 3332blumens. Host 4CM@g, smo reflector. I liked these two since the dust storm hightlights the beams characteristics.

Below 64625 100w, 12v, pushed to 12.94vbulb, 8.68A, 112.3w, 41.7lumen/w, 1500mah 13.2v batt pak, HD 12.9v, =4678blumenl. Host 2D, FM's two stage 3" reflector.
Characteristic on the flood side 64625 but behind the fence about 50yrs can make out blue outline of house. Extra 1346lumens shows difference.

Both lights aimed between 1st and 2nd fence post on right of power pole. Fence post on left of power pole able to make out with both.

dsc00199zb7.jpg

Last edited: