The most powerful Maglite mods list

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Thanks for images. You say there is a dust storm during these? Not sure if the focus is also blurred in both.

Which 64430 version is this...the Top Bulb transverse filament, or the non-Osram version that Svetila.com is selling now? Did you use AW's C driver V2 ?

Also, the C mag is using a standard 2" SMO vs. 64625 3" FM3H-2? That is part of the difference if so.

jimjones3630

Flashlight Enthusiast
Understandable how looks out of focus. We get dust devils approaching tornado speeds. Yesterday, between two one story buildings about 25yards apart watched a dust devil about 8 feet wide at the base and about 200 feet long sit there and spill stationary between those buildings.

the auto focus was on and maybe somewhat out of focus but most of that blur is wind.

64430 substitute tungsram 56580, 35w,6v, Hungary. Has axial filament and is what Svetila.com is selling.

No driver, light direct drived and yes C mag with litho's 2" smo.

Thanks for images. You say there is a dust storm during these? Not sure if the focus is also blurred in both.

Which 64430 version is this...the Top Bulb transverse filament, or the non-Osram version that Svetila.com is selling now? Did you use AW's C driver V2 ?

Also, the C mag is using a standard 2" SMO vs. 64625 3" FM3H-2? That is part of the difference if so.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Dang, Lux! How long does that thing hold voltage on 1700s?
Would 3 wide Sub-Cs fit into an elephant body?

I'm not sure. I'm running more in bursts, and with this kind of current and heat, I'm not gonna bother doing a run test. This is like holding onto a wild animal!!! A White Elephant !!! LOL!

No, 3 Sub-C's won't fit. You can ALMOST fit 5 wide 2/3A's, but need either grooves or diffuse widening ID to get those in. It loves the 7 AA's though. Easily enough room with white shrink around original labeled Elite 1700's.

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not sure. I'm running more in bursts, and with this kind of current and heat, I'm not gonna bother doing a run test. This is like holding onto a wild animal!!! A White Elephant !!! LOL!
Heat where? In the head from the bulb or from the switch?

Raoul_Duke

Enlightened
How does it compare to the death blaster, aka 64458?
A few pages back Jim Jones bench tested the 64458 next to the 64655 and not being able to distinguish between the two, still at this brighness it must be hard.

Nice setup BTW.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Heat where? In the head from the bulb or from the switch?

Mostly bulb, batteries if on for more than 45-60 sec.

How does it compare to the death blaster, aka 64458?
A few pages back Jim Jones bench tested the 64458 next to the 64655 and not being able to distinguish between the two, still at this brighness it must be hard.

Nice setup BTW.

Side by side, it is dramatically brighter than the Deathblaster using the overdriven 90W 64458. This is very noticeable when outside shinging at a distance.

OH, and what does the pack measure hot of the charger?

30.6V :naughty:

Raoul_Duke

Enlightened
Cool, and calculated runtime, Or what is the current draw from the lamp.

thank for the response.

You have given me my next build idea, and I havent even completed the 458 yet.

jimjones3630

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow Lux, those AAs are something. think flashed 64655 on bench not much over 25v. The AA sure to sag some. What is the Vbat and Vbulb?

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Well I let them rest a while before using. I'm also hoping AW comes out with his D size Hotdriver. I didn't actually do the Vbulb test...so I cannot be sure how it compared to your testing, but it was WAY brighter than the 64458 Deathblaster. The Elite 1700 AA battery performance curves are on CBP's listing. I also asked Tom if he could do his own test to verify them.

I made an 2D quad 8 pack of the Titanium 1800's for Choppers, with the 9th using the 4/5SubC from that EBay source, all welded into a pack, and while conditioning about 8 hours at 0.2A, two of the cells began leaking acid. I started over with the more expensive Elite AA cells, and no problems. Also no problems with this 21 cell pack so far.

I need to get one of those selectable power supplies where you dial in the delivered voltage, and raise it to find out where this bulb flashes exactly when in a KIU. Have to find the links where Tom (SilverFox) and others mentioned them.

Last edited:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
There is no substitute for in hand outside testing.

one of the ones have heard others recommend here

http://cgi.ebay.com/MASTECH-VARIABL...ryZ32720QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I got a varible 0-40v 0-40A used motorola analog for $50. wt. 40lb shipping was steap.

That's so funny, I just was looking at that very model at this site...as 30V & 20A seemed plenty for our purposes.

However, I'm trying to figure out what the "D" model has and not that much more expensive. I'll order one of these tonight, and prefer dealing with an established company, but will never deal with the Kits USA website out of Florida again.

jimjones3630

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lux, another way to measure vBulb is with DMM can use small loops of wire around bipins and make easy to insert DMM probs. Can't wait to see beam shots.

Jim​

sb_pete

Newly Enlightened
Hey all,
First, thanks Lux, that post helps alot to consolidate all the different Mag options.

2. Wouldn't an ROP high slot in between numbers 11 and 12?
Even though it is the "entry level" of the mag mods and the starting point that many of us once thought of as the end point, it seems harsh to not even include it on your list, Lux. I get not including things like a 5dmag xenon in a 2d running 6 aa NiMh ("poor man's ROP" ) or the LED upgrades, but the ROP outta be there just for comparison purposes, at leasr the ROP HI anyways. Your post makes for a great reference table to mag mods as I sit here and contemplate what I want to build next, it's be nice if the ROP were added in.

3. Also, I've never tried it, but I've heard that if an ROP high can beat an 1185 being overdriven to 8.6V using 7 NiMh AAs and a dummy cell in a quad bored 2D. Any confirmation or denial on this one? Heck, I've even heard that the difference between a Mag85 and an ROP HI is a crapshoot anyways.

thanks again all,
-Pete

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Pete,

Literally the only reason I don't have the ROP on my list is I never had or made one....and I wanted to be able to vouch for the ones on my list if possible, or at least be able to see the bulb I mentioned on another platform.

I never really intended my #3 post to be an "absolute" all inclusion and updated list, but when people like you mention other ones, sometimes I'll get one of those setups and test it side by side.

What specific bulb(s) are you using in your ROP high? Maybe I will get some of them and see.

sb_pete

Newly Enlightened
Lux,
thanks for the quick reply. My ROP high is pretty weak sauce at the moment (cheap battery holders, but I just ordered some FM ones to remedy that:D).

Anyways, Its just a simple Pelican 3854 bulb pack (2 bulbs) using the High Output bulb dropped into a standard M*g switch and running at 7.2V from 6 AA NiMh cells.

On another note, I think Post #3 outta be stickied for everyone just getting into this stuff. I learned more from that post than from literally days of looking through CPF:candle: (given I'm easily distracted though).

Thanks again
-Pete

Ledean

Enlightened
OK, just finished making the "HyperBlaster" which is the new King of the Hill of my list in post #3 here. Uses 21 x Elite 1700 AA cells in 3 stacks of 7 cells, welded into a single pack. Using KIU, new 10A switch that I talked about earlier in this thread in side, and the 64655 250W 24V Osram bulb. Oh yeah, this is really really bright. Short bursts only.

(Thumbnails)

Well done Lux . :twothumbsThat is a great mod there.
Wow that flashlight must be freaking bright.
How long is a short burst ?

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Well done Lux . :twothumbsThat is a great mod there.
Wow that flashlight must be freaking bright.
How long is a short burst ?

I'll put it this way....I DON'T want to turn it off, but its so damn bright you don't want burn your neighbor's house down. I'm waiting on my 30V 20A Mastech power supply to see how this bulb actually behaves, and other bulbs since I will want to know where to set AW's new Hotdrvier Vbulb to optimze it.