The Official CPF Coffee Thread. All things Coffee... (And related beverages)

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sumatran Mandheling.

But I'll also buy Maxwell House and Hills Brothers, and drink Folgers if that's what happens to be around.

At work it's Folgers pretty much, but that got a lot better when they installed a filter on the Bunn machine. "It's the water", as they say.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last edited:
Sumatran Mandheling.

But I'll also buy Maxwell House and Hills Brothers, and drink Folgers if that's what happens to be around.

At work it's Folgers pretty much, but that got a lot better when they installed a filter on the Bunn machine. "It's the water", as they say.

:rolleyes: They being the marketing department of Pabst Brewing CO.... the most mundane beer I've ever tasted. :laughing: I recently received a 12pack as a gift.

~ Cg

lwpsdyT.jpg

PartyPete

Enlightened
Green Mountain FTW.

But I'm really not picky, I'll drink just about anything...hot, iced, flavored, unflavored. Just not too sweet.

I actually just completed a paid coffee study. 30 unmarked K cups mailed to my house. I've definitely had my fill of caffeine this week.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Whoo! Some of those aren't cheap, but I'm sure good. Someone bought me some of this Two Brothers - White Sky Seasonal as a gift a few years back and it was really awesome and good whole bean fresh roasted. Dang... now I want some of that again
Klatch actively (and successfully) competes in Coffee Review, and there's usually one or two United States Barista Championships winners behind the counter (plus they're hosting some events this year,) serious world class stuff, you can't go wrong..

Last edited:

quinlag

Newly Enlightened
Blue Mountain Coffee Inc---Mavis Bank.
I haven't tried it yet; it's expensive; just wondering if it's worth the price.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Blue Mountain Coffee Inc---Mavis Bank.
I haven't tried it yet; it's expensive; just wondering if it's worth the price.

Once coffee is roasted and sealed in a container, it'll hold its flavor for a couple weeks, then it begins to fade into a generic bitter roasted taste. That's why most store-shelf coffee tastes roughly similar, it's all beans that were roasted and ground months ago and have been waiting in the warehouse/on the shelf since, and why you pay a premium for fresh roast coffee that was roasted a day or two ago and still has its full flavor.

I don't see anything on Blue Mountain's website that says they're roasting immediately before shipment; if there were a picture of the bags that would tell you, because there would be a "roasted on" date (as opposed to a "best by" date.) It would appear that this is just store shelf grade coffee that they're charging you a hugely exorbitant price for. Store shelf coffee shouldn't be more than ~$10/lb, and (non-peaberry/Geisha) green coffee beans ~$7/lb.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
:rolleyes: They being the marketing department of Pabst Brewing CO.... the most mundane beer I've ever tasted. :laughing: I recently received a 12pack as a gift.

~ Cg

lwpsdyT.jpg

Mundane?
Is that Cg speak "absolutely the worst tasting beer ever"?

The irony here: Dude at work was trying to get me to try out some kind of one shot wonder from a Kurig machine and I responded "no thanks, everything I've ever tried from those machines tasted worse than an Olympia"... lol

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Sunday morning coffee, sunday morning football; extra fresh beans have quite a bit of trapped gases in them, gives you some added froth (it's 9 fl oz French-pressed black coffee in a 12 oz cup.)
5hrXu2u.jpg

Last edited:

noboneshotdog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good stuff StarHalo.
I just finished off a shot myself. Next time I will grab a picture of the deliciousness. Here my set up anyhow...

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Good stuff StarHalo.
I just finished off a shot myself. Next time I will grab a picture of the deliciousness. Here my set up anyhow...

Lookin' good, though my pic is of black coffee and not espresso; I amended the post.

I'd probably gain a lot of weight if I had a full espresso machine, too many lattes and ice cream drinks..

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's some serious machinery right there! Latte is just milk added to an espresso shot right? I don't know my coffee drink types well. I guess it's all just variations of bean water though :)

I pretty much always drink my coffee with some milk in it. Never was able to like straight black coffee.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
That's some serious machinery right there! Latte is just milk added to an espresso shot right? I don't know my coffee drink types well. I guess it's all just variations of bean water though :)

I pretty much always drink my coffee with some milk in it. Never was able to like straight black coffee.

Latte is a shot with the rest of the cup filled with steamed milk; there's an arm/wand on the side of the machine there that shoots out high pressure steam - you stick this into a container of milk until the milk reaches 160 degrees, that's steamed milk. Done wrong, the milk bubbles out everywhere like a child blowing into a straw, done correctly and you can't even tell the steam is on, the top of the milk develops a thick sheen, no bubbles.

If you like your coffee with milk, you'll love a latte; start by asking for a Mocha Latte at Starbucks, it's not done correctly, but it'll give you an idea.

A roadmap for general edification:
DQ1cqXx.jpg

noboneshotdog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Aeropress users. What temperature water do you use, and what is your brewing time/ technique.

I have been doing 190 degree water with a short (approx 45 sec) brewing time. But I also use a bit more freshly ground coffee than suggested.

Trying to get any ideas if someone has figured out the Holy Grail of combinations. I have been quite pleased with this particular technique. My grounds are fairly course as well.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Hey Aeropress users. What temperature water do you use, and what is your brewing time/ technique.

I spent roughly a year combing the internet, note-taking, and experimenting with all the various Aeropress methods, including those that won the competitions; I can say conclusively that I was unable to find a method that gave as good results as the stock instructions included with the press. Not surprising given its origins - its inventor is also very much an experimentalist (the same guy who invented the Aerobie frisbee,) he hangs out over on the CoffeeGeek forums where there have been lengthy conversations about improving the technique, but he's open in acknowledging that the stock instructions were arrived at by trial-and-error and blind group taste-testing.

The only qualitative improvement I found was using a Melitta micro-perforated filter instead of the included plain ones, this lets through more of the top-end fruit/citrus/floral overtones like a good pour-over. Once I tried that, I never went back to the regular filters.

noboneshotdog

Flashlight Enthusiast
I spent roughly a year combing the internet, note-taking, and experimenting with all the various Aeropress methods, including those that won the competitions; I can say conclusively that I was unable to find a method that gave as good results as the stock instructions included with the press. Not surprising given its origins - its inventor is also very much an experimentalist (the same guy who invented the Aerobie frisbee,) he hangs out over on the CoffeeGeek forums where there have been lengthy conversations about improving the technique, but he's open in acknowledging that the stock instructions were arrived at by trial-and-error and blind group taste-testing.

The only qualitative improvement I found was using a Melitta micro-perforated filter instead of the included plain ones, this lets through more of the top-end fruit/citrus/floral overtones like a good pour-over. Once I tried that, I never went back to the regular filters.

Very well. Thanks for all your experimentation and expertise. I will give the original instructions a try.:poke:

I am tempted to cut my own filters but truthfully am probably just not ambitious enough to go the extra mile. I do respect your tried and true advice. Maybe I will one day try it.

Tomorrow will be a back to the basics Aeropress morning. I will report back with my findings in about a week. :thumbsup: