The Official CPF Coffee Thread. All things Coffee... (And related beverages)

StarHalo

Flashaholic
My antique store/flea market fanatic mother had quite a few of those around the house; one good use for a working one if you don't feel it's up to the task of grinding coffee is to use it instead to grind nutmeg, which doesn't require any real precision (and would impart the taste of nutmeg to anything ground in a standard grinder thereafter.)

Monocrom

Flashaholic
My antique store/flea market fanatic mother had quite a few of those around the house; one good use for a working one if you don't feel it's up to the task of grinding coffee is to use it instead to grind nutmeg, which doesn't require any real precision (and would impart the taste of nutmeg to anything ground in a standard grinder thereafter.)

Now that's a great idea. :)

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently upped my game by getting a hand grinder. The coffee is fresher and I taste a difference in flavor vs preground.

With a scale and a gooseneck kettle, I'm able to keep each cup pretty consistent in taste and strength. Now I'm switching between different beans to see which ones I enjoy the most.

zPdmdlJ.jpg

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Mrs Fixer says "I don't drink coffee for the caffiene, I drink it for the flavor".
Me, I used to drink it for the caffiene but little by little have gotten used to decaf. Decaf is not free of caffiene, just has a lot less.

Anyway I started brewing my own batch in the morning. Mrs. Fixer being the diplomatic sort eventually started making decaf for "the family" as it were. The family is now just us two. I asked over and over if she wanted to brew regular for her. "Nah, I drink it for the flavor" she snaps. I smile knowing her cup of java is about 35% milk and sugar and often see her car parked at a filling station that sells coffee for "the flavor" of fully caffienated coffee on her way to work. lol.

Without letting on that I saw her at the filling station those mornings, I started requesting haf-caf coffee and she no longer stops at the filling station for that "for the flavor" coffee. She drinks at least a quart every day. I stop at about 8 oz and switch to juices. So one cup of fully caffienated coffee gives me the jitters and causes me to think I'm some kinda Robin Williams stand up comedian.

I'll stick with orange juice, thank ya.

scout24

Flashaholic
My oldest got me a Primula cold brew setup for Christmas, that I've been using since then. It's been fun experimenting and coming up with ratios and brew times that work for my tastes. 12oz with a shot of milk has gotten me off "storebought" bottled iced coffee. Money saved in the long run. :thumbsup:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
From The European Journal of Preventive Cardiology, a 500,000+ subject, 20+ year study on health:

Drinking filtered coffee was found to be healthier than drinking no coffee at all. Filtered coffee was linked to a 15% reduced risk of death from any cause, a 12% decreased risk of death from cardiovascular disease in men and a 20% lowered risk of death from heart disease in women when compared to drinking no coffee.

In fact, the study found those who drank one to four cups of filtered coffee per day had the lowest mortality rate.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I saw that study. Made me sad. Guess it's time to box up the French presses and find the old filters. Actually most of the time I'm drinking Nescafe Clasico instant.

Geoff

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I saw that study. Made me sad. Guess it's time to box up the French presses and find the old filters. Actually most of the time I'm drinking Nescafe Clasico instant.

That's why I bought a pour-over machine, too many blood tests coming back perfect except for that bad cholesterol number, now everything's fine. I could probably work with instant coffee if I had some method to instantly produce boiling water, otherwise the machine is almost as fast for a much better result.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
I just got into coffee again a year or so i love my ninja coffee maker! Does ninja make anything that is bad? I drink 8 oclock coffee i get it when its buy one get one free

5S8Zh5

Flashlight Enthusiast
strong coffee

Has anyone tried either of these? - The 12+ Deadliest (Strongest) Coffee Brands [ list is below in case you don't want to open the link ]

What is your favorite strong coffee? I like Death Wish. I get a bag of grounds and do pour over. It's good and strong.

Black Label – Devil Mountain Coffee Company
Very Strong Coffee – Great British Trading
High Voltage Coffee
Black Insomnia
Maximum Charge- Cannonball Coffee
Biohazard
Death Wish
Sons of Amazon
Killer Coffee Gunpowder Coffee
Fire Department Coffee
Banned Coffee
Shock Coffee