The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Machete God

Enlightened
Got my Malkoff E2 today. Gene freaking nailed it. As a bonus, it fits E series filters as well!

Props to Cathy for being a good sport :)
Ahahahaha! That made me smile, thanks for sharing :D Now everybody don't go asking Cathy to draw all sorts of things on your invoice/receipts!

BenChiew

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't tell one LED from another. Here's a picture of the emitter in my M60. Hope it helps.

IMG_4779_2_zps32d8acce.jpg

This looks like the larger EZ1000 to me.

fresh eddie fresh

Enlightened
Does anyone have an XML2 cool Hound Dog they care to compare to the XML version? If I have a neutral XML2 and a cool XML, am I missing anything by not having the XML2 cool version? If the output difference is as slight as I think it might be, I might save my money (or spend it on a camo MD2 and an M61NLLLL. :) )

Thanks!

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone have an XML2 cool Hound Dog they care to compare to the XML version? If I have a neutral XML2 and a cool XML, am I missing anything by not having the XML2 cool version? If the output difference is as slight as I think it might be, I might save my money (or spend it on a camo MD2 and an M61NLLLL. :) )

Thanks!
I had a cool XML HD and then I got a cool XML2 HD.
The differences weren't huge, but the XML2 was noticeably brighter.
So, I sold the XML HD because it was basically the same light, but not as bright, so I didn't need it anymore.

I don't have the neutral HD, so I can't comment on that.

Greenbean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the NHD, and want the newest cool HD XM-L2 to compare, I think I am going to keep the NHD,

I do have my fourth WC that I didn't expect to get, so I will have a V4 Cool WC for sale very soon, just gotta get pictures to list it,
I plan on getting the XM-L2 cool HD once that happens, lol...

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had both. I sold the XML because, while it was no slouch, it was just outperformed by the XML2. Maybe not enough to make a meaningful difference in practical use but enough that I could tell when I shone it down field.

Regarding the difference between the neutral and cool versions, even given two lights that have the same exact output,one warm and one cool, myexperience is that the cool light will appear to out throw the warm one. The cool color just seems to offer more contrast against the surrounding when you're looking at an illuminated area 100 yards away. The transition between a neutral hot spot and the surrounding area seems less stark perhaps providing the illusion that it's not casting as much light. All of that said, one might argue that the neutral light does a better job of illuminating the target but we tend to base our decisions on which one "looks brighter". I'm as guilty as anyone and that's evidenced by the fact that given a choice, I go for cool throwers over neutral when the majority of my other lights (my Wildcat for example) are neutral.

Sorry. I got very philosophical and maybe didn't answer your question. The hard part is that you'll always wonder if you don't pull the trigger on the cool HD. I know this get's said a lot around here but you might have to just do the CPF thing and order it so you can find out for yourself. You have the advantage of purchasing something that will hold on to its value extremely well (may even go up some day) and you already have a marker if you decide to sell it or you old XML version.

the badger

Enlightened
Is somebody able to PLEASE post beamshots (outdoors at distance, not against a wall 3' away) of the Neutral Hound Dog vs the Neutral Wildcat or Cool Hound Dog vs Cool Wildcat?

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast

So the voltage low end is exactly the same as the standard M61, which was designed for 1-2 LiIons. How is this M361 different on a single LiIon compared to the M61? It's not, the only difference is that the M361 has a limitation on the high end that the M61 doesn't have. In other words, it doesn't appear to run any 'better' on a single LiIon than the standard M61's do.

I'm definitely not disparaging the ~2/3 flat-regulated runtime -> ~1/3 unregulated/declining output balance - this is one of the best things about the M61 series: a well-thought-out combination of the two aspects. I'm just thinking that not having 2x LiIon capability was simply a limitation of the driver that Gene choose for this new unit. Gene has stated in the past that driver reliability is paramount for his line of modules and I for one very much applaud that. :thumbsup: I'm sure that reliability was a top consideration for this new release as well.

My guess is that the M61 and M361 is using the exact same LED driver, the difference is that he has added a Pic microcontroller that controls the driver in the M361. Looking at the data sheet for the Pic microcontroller, you will see that the max voltage for it is 5.5V. This is the most likely cause for the different voltage range between the M61 and M361.

Greenbean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is somebody able to PLEASE post beamshots (outdoors at distance, not against a wall 3' away) of the Neutral Hound Dog vs the Neutral Wildcat or Cool Hound Dog vs Cool Wildcat?

If I can remember to get the camera from my girlfriend tonight I MIGHT be able to, I have both in neutral, I don't get off work till 7pm though, so it'll be late,

I do know the cell phone is worthless for trying to get beam shots that are true to what I am looking at!

fresh eddie fresh

Enlightened
I had a cool XML HD and then I got a cool XML2 HD.
The differences weren't huge, but the XML2 was noticeably brighter.
So, I sold the XML HD because it was basically the same light, but not as bright, so I didn't need it anymore.

I don't have the neutral HD, so I can't comment on that.

I have the NHD, and want the newest cool HD XM-L2 to compare, I think I am going to keep the NHD,

I do have my fourth WC that I didn't expect to get, so I will have a V4 Cool WC for sale very soon, just gotta get pictures to list it,
I plan on getting the XM-L2 cool HD once that happens, lol...

I had both. I sold the XML because, while it was no slouch, it was just outperformed by the XML2. Maybe not enough to make a meaningful difference in practical use but enough that I could tell when I shone it down field.

Regarding the difference between the neutral and cool versions, even given two lights that have the same exact output,one warm and one cool, myexperience is that the cool light will appear to out throw the warm one. The cool color just seems to offer more contrast against the surrounding when you're looking at an illuminated area 100 yards away. The transition between a neutral hot spot and the surrounding area seems less stark perhaps providing the illusion that it's not casting as much light. All of that said, one might argue that the neutral light does a better job of illuminating the target but we tend to base our decisions on which one "looks brighter". I'm as guilty as anyone and that's evidenced by the fact that given a choice, I go for cool throwers over neutral when the majority of my other lights (my Wildcat for example) are neutral.

Sorry. I got very philosophical and maybe didn't answer your question. The hard part is that you'll always wonder if you don't pull the trigger on the cool HD. I know this get's said a lot around here but you might have to just do the CPF thing and order it so you can find out for yourself. You have the advantage of purchasing something that will hold on to its value extremely well (may even go up some day) and you already have a marker if you decide to sell it or you old XML version.

Thanks for the feedback! I was sort of hoping for a "they look about the same to me" response, but I sort of knew in my heart that would not be the case! Haha!

I just pulled the trigger on the last one in stock. :) This makes it HD #4 for me... can't wait to compare them all!

Status
Not open for further replies.