The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChattanoogaPhil

Newly Enlightened
Nice G3, I've been looking around for a cheap used one.

Thanks. Back in 2011 I purchased the G3 on a whim when Midway USA advertised it as a "one time run" for $29.

The runtime was less than an hour down to nothing so it soon found its place in the never used pile. But with Gene's M61LL it's now the most used flashlight.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I got a G3 for a good deal off the forums. Run it using 2XAA or 1XAA with a M31L. I was thinking more on the M31LL which Gene doesn't want to make a new run of. When the M31L is using 1XAA it looks around 50ish lumens so maybe I really don't need the LL after all. Sure it's running DD but so what and in some ways it's even better that way IMHO. Also somehow feel the Inside diameter of the G3 tube is less than the 6P. Runs AAs so well without a sleeve. Anyone try the Overready 17mm sleeve in a G3? I wonder if it would actually fit.

Rstype

Flashlight Enthusiast
not sure if anyone has seen this yet but on the malkoff website on the mdc 1xaa there is a drop down menu to be able to choose a nuetral tint instead of the normal cool white. just thought someone might be interested!

dhunley1

Enlightened
not sure if anyone has seen this yet but on the malkoff website on the mdc 1xaa there is a drop down menu to be able to choose a nuetral tint instead of the normal cool white. just thought someone might be interested!

Nice! Just when I thought I had all I wanted...

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got a G3 for a good deal off the forums. Run it using 2XAA or 1XAA with a M31L. I was thinking more on the M31LL which Gene doesn't want to make a new run of. When the M31L is using 1XAA it looks around 50ish lumens so maybe I really don't need the LL after all. Sure it's running DD but so what and in some ways it's even better that way IMHO. Also somehow feel the Inside diameter of the G3 tube is less than the 6P. Runs AAs so well without a sleeve. Anyone try the Overready 17mm sleeve in a G3? I wonder if it would actually fit.

Yup, worked like a charm. The slight rattle from using AAs in the G3 made me a little nuts, so I ended up springing for it.

mk2rocco

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got my G2 and M61nll in the mail today! I also have 50 of these surplus batteries, they are just 2 Energizer cr123 that have been soldered and shirnk wrapped together.

d44173f8751a576eac1a885dd059df93.jpg

archimedes

Flashaholic
At nearly 9 years past date of manufacture, I'd advise caution with those ... :caution:

If the separate cells have aged differently (in terms of SOC or IR) , that could cause a problem :poof:

Last edited:

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
...Also somehow feel the Inside diameter of the G3 tube is less than the 6P. Runs AAs so well without a sleeve. Anyone try the Overready 17mm sleeve in a G3? I wonder if it would actually fit.

Woods Walker, you're right about the interior dimensional differences between the G3 and other SF 3-cell lights. I have a SF 9P + A14 attachment with both an OR 2xAA sleeve, and an OR 1xAA sleeve. The longer OR sleeve drops easily into the 9P section. That sleeve is a snug fit in the G3. I can push it in with my finger, but if I were to push it in all the way, I would need to take the other end off, and shove it out with a dowel or something.

greatbluewhite

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone have beam shots of the M361 or M361n, preferably compared to M61, M61T or M61HOT? If not, how would you describe the beam profile? Is it similar to the beam profile of the M61?

Last edited:

redvalkyrie

Enlightened
The beam profile on the M361N is just like any other M61--a nice hotspot that transitions softly to spill. The M61HOT is entirely different because of the optic. It throws great but the beam is kind of square in its profile with a very hot center.

redvalkyrie

Enlightened

Hopefully we'll see the 2xAA get the same neutral option. A single AA neutral and a 2xAA neutral would be my ideal travel lights. Get batteries anywhere AND have beautiful tint? Perfect.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't own a Malkoff mulit mode driver (yet) but it does seem like switch debounce that uses "on time" would be an adjustment. I'd really like an MDC for back up/emergency use, though. I don't see it being much of an issue for me. The new neutral variant puts the MDC high on my wish list.

Status
Not open for further replies.