The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

WebHobbit

Enlightened
WebHobbit
---------

head 22.3 is not listed on the site, but you may request that Cathy add in your order or replace model 16.5 with model 22.3.

In my last purchases I requested this replacement.

So what are you saying? You placed orders for the 16.5 as a part...and then emailed Cathy to swap in the 22.3? I think there is enough interest now that it needs to be added to the parts sales list! Gene are you reading this?

:)

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
So what are you saying? You placed orders for the 16.5 as a part...and then emailed Cathy to swap in the 22.3? I think there is enough interest now that it needs to be added to the parts sales list! Gene are you reading this?

I've never made this particular purchase, but I have had occasion to place an order by phone. Sounds like the simplest way. Easier, anyway, than hoping your email gets to Cathy before shipment!

KentuckyMike

Enlightened

You can do it that way or email her first, either way. She'll take care of you. I email first just to make sure they can accommodate, and to allow for any potential price difference or out-of-stocks.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
The tip of the spring in my tricap is a bit sharp, but no different than my other McClicky switches. I'll just continue to make battery changes by removing the head, rather than doing surgery on the tail cap. Not bothered by it.

bigfoot

Enlightened
That looks great! Do you (or anyone else) have an MDC CR123 with standard MDC head that you could take a picture of them together? Would like to know which is longer and how much wider the VME head is? I'm still considering a single level CR123 MDC. Looks like with the cool versions its 250 lumen with standard head versus 280 with the M31 and VME. The standard MDC head lists 45-60 minutes for run-time. Is the VME M31 longer?

Been away from CPF for a few days, but thanks for the compliment, and it looks like all sorts of answers and photos to the questions! lovecpf

Enjoy the new MDC SHO! When I took the 1xCR123 body out of the box, it was downright tiny, but looks bigger in photos. Definitely pocket carry / EDC friendly!

Last edited:

mk2rocco

Flashlight Enthusiast
Finally have a MD2! Not sure how I've owned so many lights with out one. I have a 22.3 head, M61N, hight/low ring, triad tail and some extra o-rings added. I swapped the head o-ring with a larger diameter one to give extra resistance, put an extra o-ring on the tail end plus a thin o-ring in the gap between the triad and the body.

I'm loving it!
5b7513edd3e6d22703877656733b409c.jpg

The useless o-ring between the body and the triad makes me happy.

5d3b3b84a0d2f88bc6bdb4fc7fb436d8.jpg

Last edited:
WebHobbit
---------

Yes, that's what I do. I place an order on the site and ask to add a head 22.3 or else replace the model 16.5 with the model 22.3.

I do not call Cathy because a call from Brazil to the US would be expensive and my English is not one of the best.

For those who live there, I believe that calling would be the best alternative :)
I also emailed before, and Cathy sent me a purchase order containing everything I had asked for. I just had to pay.

Modernflame
-----------

I realized in practice that removing the battery by threading the head instead of the tailcap was easier and less noisy.
Now reading your story everything made sense ...

The noise I heard was just of the spring scratching the battery.
Tthanks for the tip :)

mk2rocco
--------

Seeing your photos I'm even more anxious to mount a md2 with tricap.
This tailcap really gave a new life to the md host family.
In my opinion it lacked a bit of ergonomics, aggressiveness and refinement in the hosts with traditional tailcap.

all friends
-------

I've never used a 16.5 head with crenelated bezel.

it is a shame that it is not possible to change the bezel ring of the md host just as it is possible to do with the hound dog and the mdc hosts.

The vme head has a removable bezel ring ... it would be really cool if Gene had a bezel crenelated ring for the vme head.

I do not dare to dream of a new head 16.5 or even 22.3 with a removable and crenelated bezel ring because that would imply in a significant change in my flashlights ... haha

Last edited:

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I swapped the head o-ring with a larger diameter one to give extra resistance, put an extra o-ring on the tail end...

It never occurred to me until now, but this would have the added benefit of making the light more water resistant, although I still regard the O-ring near the switch boot as the most likely point of water ingress.

teak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am also waiting for the arrival of a dropin m61t. I have a m61hot, but I think the m61t model has a better balance between power and consumption. in my research I found that it is much more powerful than the m60 model and with little difference in consumption. It's literally an upgrade. in the future I would like to have an m60 for collection purposes.
Yes, same reason I went to the T over the HOT. On an 18650 I got 3 hours of bright light. Taper from there. Plus it likes primaries and 16340s if one desired.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, same reason I went to the T over the HOT. On an 18650 I got 3 hours of bright light. Taper from there. Plus it likes primaries and 16340s if one desired.

I struggled with this, but went with the HOT because I use my MD2 with standard M61 drop ins for lower output/longer run times. I doubt it's much brighter than the M61T, but I like the snappy beam.

xdayv

Flashlight Enthusiast

I struggled with this, but went with the HOT because I use my MD2 with standard M61 drop ins for lower output/longer run times. I doubt it's much brighter than the M61T, but I like the snappy beam.

Two contrasting views yet with strong points on each side. ;)

bykfixer

Flashaholic
IMG_20171018_184425.jpg

Who says you can't Malkoff a Pentagon?
M60 in an eX2 via Malkoff scout head adapter ring between the lens and the module.

Also an M61NLL in a SureFire G2.

Both drop in's are from the Scout24 big pile sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.