The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Are they sisters? lol

c1ED5Ej.jpg

6hPapef.jpg

For my style the Malkoff pictured would feel more natural. But that is based on my hand size too... or at least the spread between my fingers and thumb. I'd probably remove the clip and opt for a holster if belt carry were the method of carry. And I'd add a #14 or 15 rubber o-ring at the tailcap of the grip point just for the added traction of the rubberized neoprene vs metal.

Looks like that one will be a great design. And the protruding button a bonus for quick action requirements during high stress situations. Yet it will still have a fairly conventional look, but unique enough to know who makes it (until the cloning starts that is).

I tried one of Tanas 219B at 4000k and found it to be a decent 'mach' lightbulb look in an E2. The slight rose tint was nowhere near as noticable as I've seen in other 219B's so it doesn't put out that "shopping mall parking lot light" looking beam. He said his 5000 has a yellow look. I still prefer Gene Malkoffs N version over anything Nichia has done.

I think what looks natural varies person to person though. To me Tanas 3000k looks closer to natural than anything except for PK's 6200k beams.
Yeah.

Last edited:

Blues

Enlightened
I'd prefer each of them without a clip for this purpose....unless it would somehow prove unobtrusive in use. (I doubt it.) Which is why the 6z with belt holster and wrist lanyard was so useful for deployment.

That said, I don't think Gene's going to put a clunker out there, so I'm very interested in seeing the final product.

(I rarely use a Rogers grip anyway.)

badbs101

Newly Enlightened
My 219's look very similar to each other. Any difference is probably a function of brightness. (50lm vs 225lm).

I can't unsee the color, no matter what I'm looking at. My eyes are so long accustomed to yellowish neutral crees that the nichia just looks alien.

I'm sorry to be negative, fellas. I hope you all enjoy your new drop ins.

The real advantage of the Nichias is that Illumn sells M31s in LL and LLL. That being said, the yellow of a neutral can look a bit unnatural at times too but I do like it slightly better than the rosy 219B. I do notice that the 219B is easier on the eyes in the dark and does render color a bit better though.

All that being said, if Malkoff made a M31N LL, I'd get one.

Last edited:

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got back home from Oregon about an hour ago:)
No Idea where I am or need to be. I have several packages here waiting to be opened but I do not think My illumn order is here yet, maybe tomorrow or monday. I will have to see how the current Nichia looks compared to my others.

For those that did not know 219b has a slightly rosy tint and do not like it compared to Neutral...Sounds like you may possibly be more interested in Nichia 219C(still not yellow like you are accustomed to, more towards the white/Neutral side). The rosy-ish tint is what many love about the Nichia, you definitely would not like a 219(a) those are know to be pretty rosy.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
The real advantage of the Nichias is that Illumn sells M31s in LL and LLL. That being said, the yellow of a neutral can look a bit unnatural at times too...

I'm satisfied with my purchase of the M31LL, but if I had it to do over again, I would not have bought the M61. Actually, I had not planned to get this particular module, but I was overly eager because it was part of the first mini-drop. The M31LLL would have been a better choice.

For those that did not know 219b has a slightly rosy tint and do not like it compared to Neutral...Sounds like you may possibly be more interested in Nichia 219C...

Well, if Craig and Gene ever collaborate on a 219C drop in, count me in for a purchase.

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I personally prefer b over c but they all have their place. I will be getting some various 219c rotaries this yr, curious how they will turn out compared to the nichia i already have

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I currently cannot motivate myself to figure out what I want to do for the next test.

I think for tonight; i will just focus on getting the runtime graphs in order and linked.

If anyone has a request for something i have not tested, let me know and i will get it going after i top off the appropriate cells. Oh, i know a test that needs to be done....I need to run the Energizer Lithium on the neutral MDC aa so i can add it to the AA shootout:D

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I second this. You've already accumulated enough data to answer almost every question.

Sadly, I had a good game plan. Then I decided to add the M31 graphs and had do break down the comparison graphs into individual graphs...Now I have opened up another can of worms.

Then I had an idea to start all my graphs into an album on imgur and that has proven to be another pain for adding the links.....I just can't win today:(

I am however slowly getting it. When you look at the graphs, they may appear slightly different than the originals; as i have made some very minor changes. There is definitely a lot of work to be done. I have to update the first graphs i started to match current format, I may have to make new graphs kind of like what i am doing with the M31 Series, etc, etc.

On the bright side, i should be able to get quite a bit accomplished on it this weekend:)

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
@INFRNL. Before you sell off any part of your Malkoff collection, please make a new photo of them. Everyone wants to see 40+ Malkoffs in one place!

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
The only 219 lights I have are Nitecore NU20 and a LR30 lantern. They look like a white fluorescent light. No rose however think there is probably a Tint lottery with the Nichia just like Cree. I got the bezel and dummy cell fron Malkoff and looking forward to the M31LL from Illumination supply. If I could of purchased a M31NLL (tried via email but it was a no go) I would of. Really I kinda just care about seeing a rock or root to avoid breaking my neck. I don't look at color charts to see how the light shows colors. Sometimes it's nice to distinguish between blue tree liken and blue blazes. I am not sure the 219 headlamp really did any better at that than say NW. When I get the Malkoff will compare some woody stuff. Not really into the color chart thing though to each their own. It's all good.

Last edited:

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am not sure the 219 headlamp really did any better at that than say NW. When I get the Malkoff will compare some woody stuff. Not really into the color chart thing though to each their own. It's all good.

The difference between 80 and 90 CRI may just be academic for all but the most sensitive observers. My regular neutral white LED's remind me of afternoon sunlight, even if they don't touch all the right points on the color chart.

With that, I promise to stop whining about the Nichias. It's good clean light, and I'm unlikely to step in doo doo while carrying it.

Woods Walker

The difference between 80 and 90 CRI may just be academic for all but the most sensitive observers. My regular neutral white LED's remind me of afternoon sunlight, even if they don't touch all the right points on the color chart.

With that, I promise to stop whining about the Nichias. It's good clean light, and I'm unlikely to step in doo doo while carrying it.

If mine is too rosy will cry about it just for fun though have heard about the rosy Nichia for some time. The tint snobs can't get enough of it. There is tint lottery in NW as well. Some shift more to the green. How does the output in terms of lumens look?

Woods Walker

So i got the extra dummy cell from Malkoff but the cover doesn't lip over the sides. Wonder if that's ok as the rest of my batteries do including a 18650 I replaced the cover

Sxzt592.jpg

OWpfc9T.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.