The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blues

Enlightened
Dang. Mine didn't make it unscathed from falling off my bed stand. Naturally the bed frame was metal and of course it it the metal lip perfectly. Only a little nick. The MD1.5 also fell on my toe last weeks. I though my toe was broken. Hurt like dropping a brick on it.

Ouch, my toes just barked in sympathy.

I was very pleasantly surprised when I checked the MDC after dropping it...I thought for sure it was going to leave a scar or two.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
:DHere is a beamshot of my M31N in a Surefire E1B body with a VME head. All I can say is pocket rocket.
Beamshot
LENS021.jpg

LENS044.jpg

Gene, A lot of us sure would be happy if you made a new run of M31N's :party:

@Glock22, Can you update beamshots... After all it has only been 6 years since your post lol

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gene, A lot of us sure would be happy if you made a new run of M31N's :party:

@Glock22, Can you update beamshots... After all it has only been 6 years since your post lol

I consider myself fortunate to own M31 variants of any kind. The options are fewer because they sell in much smaller quantities. I have a feeling that it won't always be profitable for Gene to make them.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
I consider myself fortunate to own M31 variants of any kind. The options are fewer because they sell in much smaller quantities. I have a feeling that it won't always be profitable for Gene to make them.

What kind of production process does Gene use when making each module? If he's building each one, then I don't understand why he doesn't take custom orders.

--flatline

thermal guy

Flashaholic
What kind of production process does Gene use when making each module? If he's building each one, then I don't understand why he doesn't take custom orders.

--flatline

Probably because he would be getting 100 different requests a week. 😂

Kestrel

Flashaholic
You folks know why the M31N was discontinued yes ??

Insufficient sales to justify further production.

I have been championing the Cree Neutrals for as long as I can remember, and for the most part it was 'crickets' with regards to sales.

Well, that and complaints about the 5000K first-run W's were too cool lol.

Ok, I could go on, but then I would ruin my carefully-crafted persona of keeping an even keel. ;)

Best of luck is all I can say; Malkoff hasn't done custom runs for many years now.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
You folks know why the M31N was discontinued yes ??

Insufficient sales to justify further production.

Completely understood. Apparently, the M91's suffer from a similar lack of sales, as there is currently no M91BN. I find that a little surprising, but I can imagine that the 3v drop ins are exclusively the currency of junkies. I'm very happy with my M31W and my M31LL 219b.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
Completely understood. Apparently, the M91's suffer from a similar lack of sales, as there is currently no M91BN. I find that a little surprising, but I can imagine that the 3v drop ins are exclusively the currency of junkies. I'm very happy with my M31W and my M31LL 219b.

Perhaps there aren't as many junkies as we think there are. Illumn.com invested in a modest number of M31 variants, but it doesn't look like any of them sold out in the initial junkie rush to buy.

How many potential buyers do there need to be to justify these smaller runs? How quick does a batch need to sell through in order to justify the next batch?

I'm totally ignorant of the economics involved, but if Illumn sells through 75% of their 219B dropins, is that a success?

--flatline

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Perhaps there aren't as many junkies as we think there are. Illumn.com invested in a modest number of M31 variants, but it doesn't look like any of them sold out in the initial junkie rush to buy.

A fair point. I would only say that there have been, up to this point, a few "sub-batches," each selling out with a commitment from Craig to better keep them in stock. I've seen many 219b modules sell out, only to be replenished.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
A fair point. I would only say that there have been, up to this point, a few "sub-batches," each selling out with a commitment from Craig to better keep them in stock. I've seen many 219b modules sell out, only to be replenished.

Well, I'm new to this scene so I'm unaware of any historical patterns that may be relevant.

I bought a M31LL when I probably would have been better served by the M61LL/LLL since I primarily use li-ion cells, but I was curious. And I'm occasionally willing to indulge my curiosity. I will probably end up getting a M61LL/LLL anyways and my experience with the M31LL will help me decide if that M61LL/LLL will be a 219B or a Malkoff N.

--flatline

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I'm new to this scene so I'm unaware of any historical patterns that may be relevant.

I bought a M31LL when I probably would have been better served by the M61LL/LLL since I primarily use li-ion cells, but I was curious. And I'm occasionally willing to indulge my curiosity. I will probably end up getting a M61LL/LLL anyways and my experience with the M31LL will help me decide if that M61LL/LLL will be a 219B or a Malkoff N.

--flatline
Well, If you want the M61LLL, that is an easy choice...as it will have to be 219b:p

The only use i really see for M31 variants for me is 1AA and to have 1-2 cr123 lights for emergency/vehicle lights as they have great shelf life. Otherwise it's li-ion for me as well. Most of the M31's i end up keeping will live in MD bodies and be used with h/l rings. Although, i think i prefer mdc lights over m31. If Gene didn't offer so many options, life would be a lot simpler. I am not good at decisions and having 100 different options/choices make it tough on me:laughing:

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
has anyone heard from Craig about when the M361 219b's will be in? this is currently the only module i am waiting for.

I need to get some things figured out because i believe I might be a bit short on parts/hosts...will have to place an order in the real near future.

KBobAries

Enlightened
has anyone heard from Craig about when the M361 219b's will be in? this is currently the only module i am waiting for... ...I might be a bit short on parts/hosts...

To test or buy? I have an M361N and M361 219B V2 that I can lend for testing. I can also send a host along with the modules if it would help.

Dan

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
To test or buy? I have an M361N and M361 219B V2 that I can lend for testing. I can also send a host along with the modules if it would help.

Dan
Thanks for the offer Dan. I already own all 3 M361 modules, but I ordered a second M361 219b v2 in hopes that it will work with a h/l ring without issue.

Also a question in regards to Eneloop. Would you guys prefer that I do my eneloop tests with the standard eneloops or keep doing them with the Eneloop Pro's? I currently only own 4 pro's but have 12 standards. I was thinking about trying to order more pro's.

I am also contemplating trying the amazon basic aa's which would be equivalent to the pros. I am not reading anything good about the ones similar to the standard eneloops.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
If Gene didn't offer so many options, life would be a lot simpler. I am not good at decisions and having 100 different options/choices make it tough on me:laughing:

My friend, it would seem that you've found the solution. Why choose when you can get them all?

Would you guys prefer that I do my eneloop tests with the standard eneloops or keep doing them with the Eneloop Pro's?

I prefer standard eneloops. The Pros are fantastic, but you sacrifice 75% of your charge cycles in order to gain 25% more capacity. I won't ask you to switch gears in the middle of your operation, but when I read the results of the eneloop pros, I just subtract a little and guess at what the standard eneloops will provide.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, If you want the M61LLL, that is an easy choice...as it will have to be 219b:p

If I choose based on the model designation, you are correct. However the M61NLL's current draw and output are close enough to the M61LLL 219B's that I consider them to be direct competitors. My decision between the two will be based on whether I decide I prefer the 219B's tint/cri over the Malkoff N tint/cri.

--flatline

KBobAries

Enlightened
...Would you guys prefer that I do my eneloop tests with the standard eneloops or keep doing them with the Eneloop Pro's...

Your call as to which gets done first. Test each module with various batteries or test each battery with various modules?? The standard is an incredibly popular battery so having that data added to your database would be valuable.

...I prefer standard eneloops. The Pros are fantastic, but you sacrifice 75% of your charge cycles in order to gain 25% more capacity...

The above is a good point and I'd guess that for LL or LLL models standard Eneloops are the better choice. What I wonder about is Panasonic's website mentions pros for camera flashes or other high drain devices. Ignoring for a moment the capacity/recharge tradeoff if one is using an M31 or other drop-in with higher current demands would the pros work better? I couldn't find specific info on the website about current handling capability.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.