The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also, is anyone aware of any alternatives to the MD4 tube? I'd be very interested in trying my head out with two 18650's, but $70-80 for a plain aluminum tube is hard to justify in my mind.
That's not just a plain aluminium tube. It's a MALKOFF aluminium tube. There's a world of difference.
P

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, Malkoff could make the knurling just a bit more aggressive, maybe a la Leaf. FiveMega is not the worst either.

Anyway.. if you buy the entire light, it kinda comes out cheaper versus buying expensive components one at a time.

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't whole heartedly recommend Solarforce extenders because the threading seems to be inconsistent. Some people have been able to successfully mate them with Malkoff parts and some have not. Personally, I had a few Solarforce parts that were incompatible.
Solarforce on Flickr

The right extender has a bit of a gap between the threads and that lip- It has worked with my Surefire and Malkoff bodies. The left one has no gap and is only compatible with solarforce products. When I asked solarforce about it they said they didn't know of a difference between manufacturing.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
The right extender has a bit of a gap between the threads and that lip- It has worked with my Surefire and Malkoff bodies. The left one has no gap and is only compatible with solarforce products. When I asked solarforce about it they said they didn't know of a difference between manufacturing.

That is very interesting. Having never seen one that works with Malkoff, I was wondering what the difference is. Since Solarforce are unaware of variations in their own manufacturing, it really is a roll of the dice.

I suppose they are cheap enough that you could buy a few, find one that works, then return the others. Or keep them for a Solarforce project.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about a 10,000 lumen torch , what does the community think about that idea?

with typical Malkoff quality and a sustained 10,000 lumens. Running off 6x18650. That is 3x2

I am not posting entirely seriously now, just some humor at the end of the thread.

I am guessing it can be done but the price will be prohibitive.

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
Yes, let's keep this thread on topic here.

Yes, there has been a discussion elsewhere about some format adjustments to make the Malkoff discussions more manageable going forward.

Yes, this thread will be closing soon (with improved alternatives available shortly)

Thank you :)

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The rich irony of a recent post:

Modularity of threads about a modular flashlight maker.....

Perhaps a suitable title to a reference thread would somehow mention "the Lego of threads of Malkoff Legos.....

I wonder if Gene ever considered such a diverse platform of platforms back in the days of trying to get a better look at the chicken coop and found the flashlight of the time lacking.

I also wonder if he did or will name one in honor of the early days "the chicken coop".

Regardless, I'll say this
"Bravo Mr. Malkoff, you dun good".

Last edited:

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
when I get time I will see what it takes to make this happen. 200-300 is still a lot of light though.

as far as side business, I think that is a far stretch. The Malkoffs know that i on occasion will make one for someone, but I do not think there is enough money/interest in it. Plus I am only home once a week.

good to see you my friend:p
I should have ran from here a long time ago. I only go to forums to to find what I need. This is the first time I have ever hung out as is gets me into a lot of trouble

I appreciate the kind words but I am just doing my part in this community. I think we all share/help each other in our own ways.

The high/low ring that comes with the HOT and T are exactly the same. This goes for any MD2, MD3, MD4 M61/M91 variant you buy. The factory H/L ring has a 75ohm resistor, even when you buy the H/L ring separately from the parts dept. The only lights to use something else are the Super and hound dogs (that I am aware of)

This being said, I am not 100% sure how it all works but I think overall output plays a part in it. Maybe something in the driver as well.

When I get the M61T 40-50lm low mode figured out; I will tell you approx what my lights (M61HOT/M61T) put out on a factory H/L ring. The I will tell you what they both put out using the modified H/L ring. This way we know what to expect and you might be able to put the puzzle together with the data

Update on this?

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, this is what i got with my initial testing of H/L ring on T/HOT

HOT:
3.2v from power supply: approx 3.9lm
4.2v from power supply: approx 8lm
6.0v from power supply: approx 16.7lm

4.15v from li-ion: approx 7.4lm
6.24v from 2x primary: approx 17.5lm

So it seems that in this particular case, the power supply and actual cell are closely matched

T:
3.2v from power supply: approx 1.1lm
4.2v from power supply: approx 5.6lm
6.0v from power supply: approx 14.5lm

4.15v from li-ion: approx 5.3lm
6.24v from 2x primary: approx 15.5lm
8.3v from 2x li-ion: approx 25.7lm

so again, power supply and actual cells are closely matched in this test

With all this being said: @ETC: what cells will you mostly be using for me to get the 40-50lm you are after from low mode? Being the T is versatile, this may be a trick. I can base it off of single li-ion which is what I think Malkoff does. then you will have to deal with what you get from other variations. Or i can set it based off 6v? I'm not sure.

This will be custom tailored to your wish;)

Can you put this vital info in the runtime thread that's pinned? I just spent 20 minutes looking for it.

I moved my M61T from MD3 config to the MD2 config and the low is significantly lower but I had no idea how low exactly.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is the rating for the low mode lumens in the M61 / MD2 combo?

I know I've seen it multiple times but never noted the exact figure. I am considering using the High-Low ring for the M61/MD2 combo.

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe it would be the same or similar to the M61T.

I recall ~7 lumens on 1x 18650 and ~ 20 on 2x cr123s

Not 100% sure though.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
The test is now approaching 24 hours of low mode operation.

Here's a bit of information.

Low Mode Current Draw:
@6.34 volts - 45 mA
@4.2 volts - 18 mA
@3.2 volts - 7 mA

I'm not sure at what voltage the 3400 mAh AW cell's protection circuit engages, but I likely have a CR123 that's sitting at that level, in case someone knows.

Who wants to use their math skills to calculate the run time solution?

I knew I would find this. Oldie but goodie. Re: runtime of M61 MD2 on low.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
In addition to acting as an anti-roll device, the Triad helps keeps your thumb from literally pressing the Hound Dog out of your hand. If you bought your Hound Dog head with an MD3 or MD4, you can always use an insulated aluminum 35 or 65 mm long spacer and an 18650 when the HOT head is installed.

Back on the subject of MD2 low mode run time....yep, it's still going. The 1/2 bath lux measurement is now 1.00 lux. It has definitely begun the slow decline in output, but I'd need to do a direct comparison with another identical light to notice.

After 72 hours of continuous operation (ignoring a few seconds here and there for cell measurements) the cell has now been drained to 3.814 volts. Logic tells me that when the cell has been depleted to roughly 3.5 volts, the light should be approximately half way through its run time. As voltage drops, so does the amperage draw on the cell. This will likely extend the total run time to somewhere North of 300 hours, possibly as many as 400 (or more). That's nutz!!

24 hours - 4.006 volts
48 hours - 3.897 volts
72 hours - 3.814 volts
96 hours - 3.719 volts

I will probably use an alternate test end point than the light shutting off on its own. I put a CR123 with a resting voltage of 2.846 and a spacer into an MD2 with M61N. The LED operates in both modes, but the low mode is seriously dim...much to dim to be useful in anywhere but the darkest of environments with fully night adapted eyes. At that output level, the drop-in is drawing a very small fraction of an amp from the cell, so the run time to complete discharge will likely be many hundreds of hours.

What's the simple answer to the question, "How long will an MD2 run from an 18650 on low?", a long, long, looong time.

recDNA, the E1T is easily the best throwing primary CR123 MDC head.

this is priceless. I am going to guess the runtime on 2x123 on low will be slightly shorter.

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
@etc: sorry for the delay, been super busy with work stuff and things at home. Not much time for playing with the lights.

I will try to see what i can do on the h/l ring this weekend. I will also try to remember to put that info in the thread

In the past i did a few low mode tests but i have no idea where any notes would be. A lot of info before i got my meters is lost in this thread.

Woodswalker and others from the past have also posted info lost in the threads.

It will always be difficult to keep track of everything, just the nature of the beast

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
@etc: sorry for the delay, been super busy with work stuff and things at home. Not much time for playing with the lights.

I will try to see what i can do on the h/l ring this weekend. I will also try to remember to put that info in the thread

In the past i did a few low mode tests but i have no idea where any notes would be. A lot of info before i got my meters is lost in this thread.

Woodswalker and others from the past have also posted info lost in the threads.

It will always be difficult to keep track of everything, just the nature of the beast

thank you. I was getting decent lumens - just under 30 per your observations - with the M61T in the dual 18500 configuration and when moved to the single cell configuration 1x18650 it's generating a sad 7 lumens or such.

I would like 40 lumens in the low mode on one li-ion.. Plus/minus - there are no wrong answers. maybe even 50. Even 60 would be nice and heartwarming.

Last edited:

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can you put this vital info in the runtime thread that's pinned? I just spent 20 minutes looking for it.

I moved my M61T from MD3 config to the MD2 config and the low is significantly lower but I had no idea how low exactly.
I posted the info in post 2 of the thread for the moment. I might find a better home for it at another time.

hron61

Flashlight Enthusiast
I picked up an original m61 219 from here the other day (Thanks LGT, I love it).
I took a couple pics of my granddaughters lego build with the light to show colors. It passed with flying colors...pun intended!

qBWs4eJl.jpg

A0PwExrl.jpg

Last edited:

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've steered away from the MDC AA because of the lack of reverse polarity protection, but I'm reconsidering. What are your thoughts on the neutral cree version vs. the Nichia 219b?

Status
Not open for further replies.