The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have some of the 219B v2 run modules and the beams look fine to me. What should I be looking for?

--flatline

Wow! I hope you are right my man.
I was followed by posts of the guys who claimed that their MDC with 219B has terible beam due. I thought it's the same in drop ins.
Can you post some beamshots please?

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow! I hope you are right my man.
I was followed by posts of the guys who claimed that their MDC with 219B has terible beam due. I thought it's the same in drop ins.
Can you post some beamshots please?

I think the beam was getting bashed a bit too hard by some people. As in, it was actually over-the top. The beam iself is quite nice, there is a slight ring on the outside of the beam profile just before the edge, it's only visible in white-wall situations, and even on a white wall, the beam is overall much better than most other lights I own, IMO.

There is one slight ring, no artifacts, and otherwise a beautiful beam and hotspot profile/ shift.

I will try to post some beamshots tonight.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never figured out how to post images (or take good beam shots).

The beam looks very similar to my regular M61 and M61WLL modules. There is a well defined hot spot with a relatively bright and even spill and then about 75% of the way to the edge it transitions somewhat abruptly to a much dimmer spill.

1 = hotspot
2 = brief transition to spill (aka carona). dimmer than 1, brighter than 3
3 = spill
4 = transition to edge, dimmer than both 3 and 5
5 = edge

I suspect that when people are complaining, they're complaining about 4 since it's dimmer than both 3 and 5 and appears as a dim ring between the spill and the edge. I see this exact same beam pattern with my regular Malkoff modules, so this isn't caused by the 219B. It's close enough to the edge that it's totally ignoreable during regular use, but is obviously visible when white wall hunting.

There are zero artifacts in any of the beam regions.

--flatline

Jimmyboots

Enlightened
I have a M61L and a M31LLL 219v2. A ring is visible when I tail stand to "light" up a room but not when I use it out side or around the house. IMHO this is not something I would have thought about or noticed if I was not on these forums.

Does anyone know what what the difference will be between the v2 and v3 219 dropins. I hope we see a slight boost in lumen output like the rest of the M61 line has.

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast
@flatline, that "binary" beamshot is one of the best so far. Awesome!!
Well looks like this could be only happening in MDC heads cause all of you confirmed that there's no problem so far.

Difference between V2 and V3 is the emitter only.
V2 -219B 4000K R9050
V2-219B 4000K R9080

@flatline, that "binary" beamshot is one of the best so far. Awesome!!
Well looks like this could be only happening in MDC heads cause all of you confirmed that there's no problem so far.

Difference between V2 and V3 is the emitter only.
V2 -219B 4000K R9050
V2-219B 4000K R9080

V2 -219B 4000K R9050
V3 (not V2) -219B 4000K R9080

In real life, what would be the difference? does anyone have beamshots to share?
I believe some difference must exist.

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
RE: Flatline's post

(edit to add, he nailed the #### chart!)

I do think there is a ring on the 219b versions but not on the XP-G versions that I can recall..... I'll post shots tonight. I think it's distinctly a property of the 219b, but again, it's definitely far from any sort of big deal, especially in a Malkoff!

There are 0 artifacts, however, that I totally agree with, the beam is otherwise very nice, Don's reflector is still a wonderful thing to use and behold.

Last edited:

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes that's right id, I have 219b 4000k R9050 in a P61 and 219b 4500k R9080 in an HDS. Until you cross beams they both look white but together the R9050 looks slightly brown and the R9080 slightly pink. I prefer the pink, myself, but I wouldn't chuck either of them out.
White walls are now an endangered species, you shouldn't be hunting them.

P

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
2x M361/ 1x M61, M61L, M61LL, M61LLL/ 1x M31LLL

That should do it! :party:

code "malkoffGB" works! gave me a good chunk off, enough to throw an M31LLL in the order :)

Now to collect some hosts for all these dropins......

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I should say outright that Flatline pretty much nailed it, and there is a ring in the "normal" M61 dropins- granted it is SIGNIFICANTLY harder to see.

So I'm going to link an IMGUR album with two additional close-ups, adding more images makes my reply way too chunky and I'm not sure that's too "kosher". It's not really needed either....

https://imgur.com/a/bA72anF

M61 219b v2 , ~200 lumens. The "ring" in question is certainly visible on a white wall, but in use it's only visible as a drop in output. The "brighter" outside band of light is a little brighter in real life, making it a little more contrasty to the "dark ring" in question:
c661d230-58dc-405f-9464-83763fc53199-original.jpg

M61N XP-G2 ~300lm . We can see where it happens with the regular M61 too, however, it s MUCH harder to notice even on a white wall. It's hardly noticeable in these pics. It takes quite a bit of visual "convincing" to see any sort of ring, I would say even on a white wall it's only visible as a drop in output.
46c90a7e-5381-4e48-8333-fa2aa810511b-original.jpg

All shots at 5000K white balance, via Samsung S8 RAW, developed in LR mobile. Exposure data not relevant, as I massively tweaked end exposure and values to recreate a the beams to be more accurate to what you see. I copied and pasted settings for each pair of photos. You can see the 100 lm difference in hotspot. Lights 3' from ceiling. What I guess we are seeing is simply the end of the beam and the reflection on the outside from the brass housing. The ring is slightly more noticable IRL with the 219b version, but once you start using it it takes a very flat surface and a keen eye to even pickup the distinct drop in output- however there is no ring (or arc) to make out. Hope this helps. All in all I still love the beam, and ultimately almost all reflectors do this, particularly with shiny rims. Even my MCR-20 and 18s, Reylight Pineapple I can find some sort of "ring" towards the outside of the beam.

c5cf881e-3312-4b56-98a8-58dcb435e3dd-original.jpg

Last edited:

bignc

Enlightened
I appreciate those who are particularly concerned about the quality of the beam, etc. We are, after all, spending good money. I, however, have put my money into Malkoff Devices for many reasons that are vastly more important to me.
I use mine in an edc and firearm deployment role and/!or have them pre-positioned for critical emergency uses so the reliability and ruggedness are probably chief among those many reasons. I like the multi fuel options you get when you build the right LEGO/ combo too. Anyway, had to BUMP and respond since I saw this thread drifting to the bottom of the front page!!!!

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Couldn't agree more bignc!

I actually love the beam from my 219b Malkoffs, not perfect, but better than 80% of the rest of my lights. I am SUPER excited for my Illumn GB and the M91N!

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also agree bignc!

I use my Malkoffs for work, EDC, and during firearm deployment.

I guess if I was "white wall hunting" things might be different, but then I've never understood that (white wall hunting, that is).

But hey, if the extent of someone's flashlight use IS "white wall hunting", I guess those things ARE important.

bignc

Enlightened
I DO like neutral and the different 219a and b lights I have while outside for telling apart snakes and sticks. I find WARM easier on the eyes indoors too. AND I have bright white (cool) T series lights for throw in a compact form.

If I was starting today....... I'd probably get a Neutral hound dog and a handful of neutral 61 series lights with hi/lo rings in md2, 1.5 and 1 size. I would keep my 2aa, 16650 and 123 sized MDC bodies to go with the 31 and 61 series neutrals and warms that I have.

Now that I've said that, that only has me giving up a 6 and 9 T series drop-in... Nevermind- I'm keeping them all!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts