The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glock 22

Enlightened
I'd like to help you but as far as overall runtime calculations go, we only have the specs on the webpage unless Gene joins in again...

1.2A at 9V = 10.8W
1.9A at 6V = 11.4W

Then hopefully using (Capacity)Ah x 3.6/3.7V nominal x (2 or 3)cells minus a couple of Wh for how hard the AW goes and we should get a figure accurate within 10 to 15 minutes.

I was hoping to use the M91AW as a high-beam on my bike to be used momentarily but would also like to know if the AW can also be used constant-on with only airflow averaging 20km/h to cool the light. In winter weather it should be fine but in summer 30 degrees air I think the AW will overheat. The SHO at 6 watts seem fine but maybe 11 watts is too much for something non-handheld.

I'm especially attracted to the current run of 3500K M91AWs... Sounds nice and warm to me!

Thanks this helps alot.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
My Pink Malkoff MD2 is complete for my 3 year old. :D

After a suggestion here in the Junkie thread, I am happy with this setup.

I went to Oveready and got a 18mm delrin sleeve for 1xAA. Also a 15mm spacer made of delrin with a post. I put a M31L 219 drop in in the head. The black boot is a lil stiff for my daughter to click, so I put a pink softpress in there. ;)

The M31L 219 on a single NiMh is perfect, not too bright, not too dim. Maybe 30 lumen. :thumbsup:

My wife is not happy that my daughter is getting a "Hot Pink Malkoff!", her words, LOL!

What she doesnt know is there is already one under the tree for her too, running a 18650 and a M60WL. :naughty:

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I finally had some time tonight to try out my new meter. Not only does the XP-G2 M61N seriously outpower the M61, but it actually gives 48 more lux at 1 meter than my M61 HO. Oh ya.....freaking awesome!!

Grizz

BenChiew

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do it, Ben! I have the new M61N SHO.

Definitely a keeper.

S1LVA

Thanks Andrew. I was playing around with the M61N xpg and found that it had some throw in it. Now I am really curious as to how much more xpg2 will appear to the human eye.
Been looking at the older Malkoffs from the m30 and m60 period.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Malkoff states that a m61 is 3.4-9v.
Will it take 3 primary setup. A primary is known as a 3v but at full charge is 3.2.
3 cells will make 9.6v.
Is this still good for M61?

Yes it will take 3 primary CR123 cells.

pedersen

Newly Enlightened
I only have a regular M61, its in a SF 6P.

And all I really want to do is say a great thank you to Gene and his team for their products, I have been doing relentless missing person search in the dark this weekend. And was called "lampmaster" by the other people in my group. My malkoff helped tremendously in both the urban environments with narrow alleys and basements as well as the dense vegetation in old forests, and it just keeps shining no matter what.

Once again, thank you!

Edit: Mods, if somehow irrelevant, too offtopic or not an okay post, please delete

Kestrel

Flashaholic
With regards to running an M61 on 3xCR123 vs. 2xCR123, I did some calculations a while back that indicate that the runtime will be something like +55% when going to a third cell in the stack. The decrease in amperage due to the greater input voltage permits the CR123 chemistry to operate slightly more efficiently, yielding more usable mAh per cell. Most folks can tell that I'm a big fan of running three CR123's whenever possible; this effect is more dramatic with higher drain modules (the M61SHO, for example), but it even benefits the humble M61. Free energy. :D

[...] Edit: Mods, if somehow irrelevant, too offtopic or not an okay post, please delete

No worries at all, good sir. :thumbsup: Even one Malkoff can make you a Malkoff Junkie, lol. ;)

Last edited:

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I only have a regular M61, its in a SF 6P.

And all I really want to do is say a great thank you to Gene and his team for their products, I have been doing relentless missing person search in the dark this weekend. And was called "lampmaster" by the other people in my group. My malkoff helped tremendously in both the urban environments with narrow alleys and basements as well as the dense vegetation in old forests, and it just keeps shining no matter what.

Once again, thank you!

Excellent! Do you have any type of figures on runtime? Was the light running continuously for the searches? How hot did the host get? Were you still able to hold the host after long continuous runs with the light? What other types of lights did the searchers have?

1996alnl

Enlightened
I too only have a M61 in a Surefire 6P, powered by a 17650.
A great combo, runtimes are well over an hour...mine does't even get hot. It's not regulated with the one cell but that's ok ..I prefer it. This is my go to light when I let the dog out at night in my backyard. That little M61 will brighten up a 70ft X30ft yard with ease. I just wish I purchased more Malkoff products along time ago...would of saved me money on those other expensive lights..

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
With regards to running an M61 on 3xCR123 vs. 2xCR123, I did some calculations a while back that indicate that the runtime will be something like +55% when going to a third cell in the stack. The decrease in amperage due to the greater input voltage permits the CR123 chemistry to operate slightly more efficiently, yielding more usable mAh per cell. Most folks can tell that I'm a big fan of running three CR123's whenever possible; this effect is more dramatic with higher drain modules (the M61SHO, for example), but it even benefits the humble M61. Free energy. :D

No worries at all, good sir. :thumbsup: Even one Malkoff can make you a Malkoff Junkie, lol. ;)
nice kestrel, thanks for the explanation of 2 vs 3 cells :D
I too only have a M61 in a Surefire 6P, powered by a 17650.
A great combo, runtimes are well over an hour...mine does't even get hot. It's not regulated with the one cell but that's ok ..I prefer it. This is my go to light when I let the dog out at night in my backyard. That little M61 will brighten up a 70ft X30ft yard with ease. I just wish I purchased more Malkoff products along time ago...would of saved me money on those other expensive lights..

do you mean 17670? the AW cell? is the 6P bored by chance? i don't have any 17670s to see if they'll fit in a standard *non bored* 6p lol. sorry for the barrage of questions lol

pedersen

Newly Enlightened
...No worries at all, good sir. :thumbsup: Even one Malkoff can make you a Malkoff Junkie, lol. ;)

Apparantly they can yes :D

Excellent! Do you have any type of figures on runtime? Was the light running continuously for the searches? How hot did the host get? Were you still able to hold the host after long continuous runs with the light? What other types of lights did the searchers have?

At first I used a set of half-empty Surefire primaries, then switched to AW RCR123, I´d say more or less continously for 4,5h, some smaller breaks where there where street lights or open field where the snow helped a lot with visibility. Since it was around -10 degrees Celsius I was using gloves, but I didnt notice any heat to speak of really.

Since it was a large part of the search group was newcomers who probably havent done searches before many were using crappy leds from supermarkets etc. Although I did see some Led lensers and a couple of D-cell maglites.

jamesmtl514

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I'm a self diagnosed junkie.
Started with the humble M61 now i also have, M31W, M61W, warm M61LLL, M61 219, M61L 219, M91W, MD60...
Wow it's a lot worse when i see them all typed out.
After i get a MD10 and M61 SHO and M91a I'll be done! !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts