The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

greatscoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
The WC and the HD both have their places.

I have taken to using my XM-L2 doggie as a spotter when I need to have some distance.
I put it on a MD2 with a pair of IMR 18350 cells, and it has about 20-25 minutes of run time on high with that.
Real easy to carry on the belt with the short body on it.
I just have to pay attention to my usage time because the IMR cells aren't protected. I'm pretty used to that, so it's okay for me.
Makes a very handy package.

Other times, I may put the WC head on the MD2 with the IMR cells.

This is really good to know. I have an HD XML on its way and only an MD2 body. This is how I was planning to run it initially until I could pick up an MD3 body.

Darvis

Enlightened
I was having trouble with a fivemega e to c adapter and a fivemega e series tube. The problem was the bottom of the Malkoff dropin was not making negative contact with the tube.

I've had this issue from time to time as well, wrap a thin strip of aluminum foil around the base of the drop-in so it overlaps the negative contact area and rests on the potting, but does not, repeat, does NOT touch the positive contact spring. This has helped me a few times with Malkoffs and reluctant hosts.

fresh eddie fresh

Enlightened
Technically, is the current version of the Wildcat the V5 or V4.5? I have the version 4 that has less output than the current ones.... are the newest ones driven harder, or do they have different LEDs in them?

I just ordered an MD3 tube for my Hound Dog XPG and ended up getting another MDC SHO. I was pretty close to adding a couple camo MD2s to the cart and them remembered all of the pink ones I already have. Haha. Malkoffaholic for sure!

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
As far as I know, the V4 is the latest version of the Wildcat. The stats shown on the site match up to what was shown when I bought my V4 about three months ago. I record it to a document, since the Malkoff site doesn't have a discontinued products area.

Grizz

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Technically, is the current version of the Wildcat the V5 or V4.5? I have the version 4 that has less output than the current ones.... are the newest ones driven harder, or do they have different LEDs in them?

I just ordered an MD3 tube for my Hound Dog XPG and ended up getting another MDC SHO. I was pretty close to adding a couple camo MD2s to the cart and them remembered all of the pink ones I already have. Haha. Malkoffaholic for sure!

The V4 is the latest version, and it has XP-G2 LEDs in it. No updates since that version. Gives 1350 lumens at turn on, and stabilizes for long term output at about 1150 or so.
The V3 was an identical light with lower output using XP-G giving 900 lumens at turn on and stabilizes at 800 or so.
It's possible that you have a V3. You can tell by looking down the optics when the light is off, and if the LED boards are green, it's XP-G and that would make it a V3. If you see the LED boards are silver, that would make it a V4 with XP-G2.
The V2 has triple XP-G with 3 individual metal reflectors. 750 lumens.
The V1 has 4 XRE-Q5 with 4 individual optics. 600 lumens.

There are some warm or neutral variants of any of the above versions, made in small quantities, which will exhibit lower output levels due to the lower output of the warmer tint LEDs.

Last edited:

Sparky's Magic

Enlightened
Don't leave out the Wildcat. That's my favorite Malkoff.

My Wildcat is an XP-G Hi CRI. in an MD4 with 2x18650, AW3100mAh. Cells. It's fantastic, a special that Gene knocked up and one of my favorites but, it is very large and doesn't get taken out often...on the other hand, my original MD2 Camo. with Judco switch and an M61W (4500K.), not only goes everywhere, it is indestructible; and it looks the 'Ducks' Nuts'. I should have a spare!

Last edited:

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actucally the V4 stablilzes at 1150. Turns on at 1350. By far the brighest Malkoff.

Yes, that's right. Sorry for the mistake. I was thinking of the latest Hound Dog instead.
Thanks for the correction.

I edited my post with the corrected figures.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am confused. How many versions of HD are there to date?

Hound Dog XPG (350 Lumens)
Hound Dog XM-L (750 Lumens)
Hound Dog XM-L2( (1150 Lumens)

All 3 versions are listed at lumens at turn-on, and have somewhat lower output after being on for a while and reaching thermal stabilization.
There also were various limited/custom special versions made with warm or neutral tints in the Hound Dogs also.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got it in this morning's mail and I'm using it now (MD2, 3400 mah 18650 cell, high/low ring) and it's a nice cool white. as far as I'm able to tell in this room I'm in (not dark outside yet lol) it doesn't have any blue or purple. it appears to be your standard cool white tint to me. :)

If you want I can attempt to take some rudimentary beamshots with either my iPod or Windows Phone to show you. are you at all interested? I'd probably do the photos when it gets dark for a more accurate representation. just holla!

edit: also got a 17mm G2 --> 1x AA adapter (made of Delrin I believe) from Oveready and my M31N L works well on an L91 Energizer lithium primary and it still works well!! Malkoff stuff is the best!

Interesting, it seems there is a tint lottery going on. Not that I mind - I bought the M61 knowing full well it would be for raw output, not tint. That's why I have a M61L 219 on the way :)

fresh eddie fresh

Enlightened
The V4 is the latest version, and it has XP-G2 LEDs in it. No updates since that version. Gives 1350 lumens at turn on, and stabilizes for long term output at about 1150 or so.
The V3 was an identical light with lower output using XP-G giving 900 lumens at turn on and stabilizes at 800 or so.
It's possible that you have a V3. You can tell by looking down the optics when the light is off, and if the LED boards are green, it's XP-G and that would make it a V3. If you see the LED boards are silver, that would make it a V4 with XP-G2.
The V2 has triple XP-G with 3 individual metal reflectors. 750 lumens.
The V1 has 4 XRE-Q5 with 4 individual optics. 600 lumens.

There are some warm or neutral variants of any of the above versions, made in small quantities, which will exhibit lower output levels due to the lower output of the warmer tint LEDs.

Thanks! That is good info! I think I must have confused it for the newer Hound Dog. My brain is not so good with stuff and things! :)

I am slowly but surely picking up the older versions of these lights... I got a HD XPG recently and really like it. I have a WC V4 and V2... would love a V1 if one pops up for a good price. So addicting!

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting, it seems there is a tint lottery going on. Not that I mind - I bought the M61 knowing full well it would be for raw output, not tint. That's why I have a M61L 219 on the way :)

haha i was beginning to wonder if you saw my response or not ;)

i guess there is a lottery going on to an extent. your post about your m61 XP-G2 originally had me really worried lol

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast

All my Nichia 219(from Illumination Supply) and M31/61N(from Oveready) have very even tint, I guess they carefully control the tints to be enough close to the stated! No bad surprises! :twothumbs

Last edited:

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
haha i was beginning to wonder if you saw my response or not ;)

i guess there is a lottery going on to an extent. your post about your m61 XP-G2 originally had me really worried lol

I'm sorry to worry you, glad you are happy, and apologize for the delayed response. I just wasn't in a position to respond until today :twothumbs

greatscoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got my HD XML today. Can't wait for dog walking time. Looks a little strange with the MD2. I guess I am going to have to order an MD3 body with my Camo MD2 order.
IMG-20130307-00448.jpg
:D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.