The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently got an M61n as an upgrade in my MD2 and have been using it for a few days (I used to have an m61L Xpg in it) the low mode is very useful for checking skin color where the cool used to wash it out.

On high it's amazing! It is exactly what I was looking for. The extra throw with the neutral tint is much better for my job (as an EMT). Now my m61L is in a surefire g2 as backup in my bag.

I am am only up to 3 malkoffs and have what I need but...

Iron Duke

Newly Enlightened
Which P60 drop in is it?
I have a brass Sportac XM-2 U2, 2V-9V, 1116 lumen (890 ASI) I contacted Malkoff customer service and apparently the VME head, nor any of the other "Surefire Scout" heads accept anything other than Malkoff dropins. Logically then a M61 does not interchange with a P60 dropin. At least that's what CS is telling me. Obviously I'd like to have the well known Malkoff quality.

I also contacted Lumens Factory and they're sending me a replacement head to screw onto my Scout. At least they say they are... LOL Judging from the too reasonable price, I have to think we're getting or signals crossed. I'll see when the package arrives.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Huh. The VME head was built expressly for Malkoff drop-ins.

That said, the Sportac looks like it copies, fairly closely, the Malkoff body. So it might be worth your time to try it and see what happens.

Alternatively, you can get a conventional Surefire bezel (or a clone from Overready) and an E2C adapter.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The M30, M60, and M61 series Malkoff drop-ins are designed to fit Surefire C,P, Z, etc series hosts. They are compatible with other manufacturer's P60 hosts (Solarforce, for example) if a secondary spring is used to ensure electrical contact.

The VME head is no more a P60 host than an Elzetta ZFL-M60.

Stockhouse13

Newly Enlightened
Hey Guys,

Hoping someone can help me out.

Will a Malkoff drop in fit a Solarforce P1 host?

I'd like to pick one up, but was wondering if there were any contact issues with the Malkoff and the host.
I'd hate to have to use a little aluminum foil for proper contact.

Thanks!

I installed a M61NL in a Solarforce L2n host and, yes, I needed one wrap of foil to snug the fit. No biggie.

Last edited:

5001craig

Newly Enlightened
So I got an M61NL just to see what it was all about. At first, I was not so impressed as it doesn't really do anything outstanding. However, after having it for some time, I find myself grabbing it all the time when I used to go for either my Wildcat (on low) or the EDC. The M61NL is at the moment my favorite light and is getting all the use. I still don't like EDC'ing the MD2 due to size as compared to the EDC but I really like the tint, beam and run time of this one. Glad I purchased it.

Thanks for the push to get this one.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I installed a M61NL in a Solarforce L2n host and, yes, I needed one wrap of foil to snug the fit. No biggie.

You can also order a spring online for less than a dollar - it serves the same function as the springs on conventional P60-style drop-ins. I have a couple for my Solarforce lights.

jave-mtr

Newly Enlightened
Not sure if this has been asked before, but with all the M61 sales on the Malkoff website, isn't anyone wondering if there's an updated version coming out soon??? :cool:
Or what could otherwise be the reason?

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I got an M61NL just to see what it was all about. At first, I was not so impressed as it doesn't really do anything outstanding. However, after having it for some time, I find myself grabbing it all the time when I used to go for either my Wildcat (on low) or the EDC. The M61NL is at the moment my favorite light and is getting all the use. I still don't like EDC'ing the MD2 due to size as compared to the EDC but I really like the tint, beam and run time of this one. Glad I purchased it.

You are right. It's neither a thrower or flooder. The output is pretty moderate. But it's a great compromise between brightness and runtime. And the smooth transition between hotspot and spill makes the beam very comfortable for the eyes, especially with a neutral tint. There is a reason Malkoff dropins are so popular!

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are right. It's neither a thrower or flooder. The output is pretty moderate. But it's a great compromise between brightness and runtime. And the smooth transition between hotspot and spill makes the beam very comfortable for the eyes, especially with a neutral tint. There is a reason Malkoff dropins are so popular!

I agree. I think a M61L unit is the best of all worlds. Decent hot spot, excellent spill, good runtime, and bulletproof to boot. I find myself reaching for a 6P with a L unit in it whenever I'm going to walk around outside at night.

WebHobbit

Enlightened
Are there any reviews/beam-shots of the CURRENT version of the MDC AA? I'm talking about the config for sale right now listed as:

[FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Summary of Modes at 1.2v-1.5v: 0.3 lumens/9 lumens/115 lumens

I'm normally a single-mode kinda dude so maybe I'm off here but it seems like .3 lumens would be pretty useless (to me)...and 9 seems kinda low too. Wouldn't something like:

15/40/115

be better?

I really want an AA MDC but I think I'd rather have a single mode or one with a bit better spacing.

[/FONT]
[/FONT]

scout24

Flashaholic
Had occasion to run my V5 Wildcat this evening indoors via ceiling bounce in my basement for about 20 minutes. Sadly, we're deep into Daylight Savings time here on the east coast, so it's not gotten the workout I would like it to since it arrived. Tailstanding, as an area light on high, it got warm but nowhere near as warm as I figured it would. (My V4 gets a bunch warmer...) 2x18650's, so full output. No hand heatsinking, just air... :twothumbs This light is awesome. Thanks, Gene!

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are there any reviews/beam-shots of the CURRENT version of the MDC AA? I'm talking about the config for sale right now listed as:

Summary of Modes at 1.2v-1.5v: 0.3 lumens/9 lumens/115 lumens

I'm normally a single-mode kinda dude so maybe I'm off here but it seems like .3 lumens would be pretty useless (to me)...and 9 seems kinda low too. Wouldn't something like:

15/40/115

be better?

I really want an AA MDC but I think I'd rather have a single mode or one with a bit better spacing.

The sub-lumen mode on my HDS is my second most used preset. It's great when your eyes have already adjusted to darkness but you need a little more light without blinding yourself.

jso902

Enlightened

Look for a modified md2 or md3 that was made into an md1. The size is equivalent to the edc. I have one with a H/L ring and it is just awesome,

fresh eddie fresh

Enlightened
I agree. I think a M61L unit is the best of all worlds. Decent hot spot, excellent spill, good runtime, and bulletproof to boot. I find myself reaching for a 6P with a L unit in it whenever I'm going to walk around outside at night.

I completely agree. The L's fit the bill for "super bright light" most of the time for me, and the runtime on those is great.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I completely agree. The L's fit the bill for "super bright light" most of the time for me, and the runtime on those is great.

Think about it: original specs for the P60 was 65 lumens for 1 hour. The M61L produces over two and a half times the output at five times the run time.

Crazy.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
....or you could choose 120 lumens for 20 minutes! :)

I have a single P61 that sits in a drawer because it came with a light I bought online. I've run it for MAYBE 10 seconds total, because I can't bring myself to be so wasteful with my primaries. My, how things have changed since I bought my first Surefire G2-TN in 2006.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.