The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

tullytv

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the beamshots... I like the tint of the M61 HiCRI2 best, and N a close second. The 219B V2 is smooth and rosy, as you said.

Do you have a W for comparison?
Here's another shot, I hunted down some other variations of the 219 and dug out my WLL drop-ins.
From L to R: M31 219BLL, L08 using a Nichia NVSL219AT-H1 4500K92 CRI B10 Bin, EagTac D25 using Nichia 219 D220 92 CRI, M31 219BLLL V2, M61WLL, M61LL HiCRI2
http://s1078.photobucket.com/user/tullytv/media/IMG_2124_zpsie5ywtg1.jpg.html
IMG_2124_zpsie5ywtg1.jpg.html

bykfixer

Flashaholic
It has the same threads as the SF 6P. But the Malkoff head is designed for the base of the module to butt against the body. The 6P body has a rebate for the module to sit into. So the MD head will fit on a SF body, but there's a 1/2 inch, or so, gap between the spring and +ve end of the battery. Also there's a big gap between the base of the head and the shoulder on the SF body. You could probaly do it with a spacer, but it wouldn't be pretty.
Close, but no cigar.
Hope that makes sense.
P

When I get home I'll try one on the Pelican M6. Tail cap works (shown in post #6826) but I hadn't considered the head on it.

xdayv

Flashlight Enthusiast

tullytv

Newly Enlightened
Updates on M31 219BLLL run-time test: the light ran all night on an Enloop AA (standard, not the hi-cap ones), 7 hours later it was still going. I checked the output against an HDS Rotary XP-G2 to mesure lumens.

Initially the 219 was at level 17 on the HDS (so 11 lmns)
7 hrs level 13, 3 lms (this sounds like quite a drop, but to the eyes I couldn't tell a difference until checking with the HDS)
7.5 hrs between level 12 and 13, so the 1-2 lmn range. Took a reading on the AA cell: .923V resting and .62V under load (ie. being used in the light). The current draw at this level reads 50mah. I will continue the test into the sub-lumen range for curiosity's sake but seem to have found the tail-end of a long night of slow declining direct-drive goodness.
8 hrs level 8, .4 lms. Decided to compare to Low-Low on a 1-2V 1xAA MDC using a NiMH (Gene says that should be called .9 lmn), noticeably dimmer. Compared to an M60 running on 2xAA NiMH – nearly identical level.
8.25 hrs level 5, .1 lms.
8.5 hrs level 3-4, ~.05 lms. Stopping the test, cell reads .84V resting. After turning the light off it will not turn back on. Cell will still work in MDC 1xAA 1-2V on low-low.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for all the beam shots and runtime tests folks. Very helpful. For me it's nice because it helps me realize that I want to stick with warm lights and that, THANKFULLY, limits my options! HA! Hoping to receive my M61WLL tomorrow and I'll check in with a report on it.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
NEXT QUESTION!!!! MD3 body, MD2 head, M31W drop-in, hi-low ring, 2 AA delrin sleeve from overready. Would this work and if so what would the output be on the low setting?
Edit: Just priced all this out and it would be a very expensive 2AA light. :eek:

Last edited:

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
It shows max output and drop down output but doesn't say anything about using a M31 module with a hi-low ring, if that's possible, and what the output would be on low.
The Malkoff website gives you the lumen output under each drop in.

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
It shows max output and drop down output but doesn't say anything about using a M31 module with a hi-low ring, if that's possible, and what the output would be on low.
I think the high/low ring was designed for an M61. You would probably have to send Gene an email and ask him. I would venture to guess single digit lumens.

Lucky Duck

Enlightened
My M31 does indeed work with the Hi/Low ring & rather well I might add. Powered by 2 Lithium AAs in an MD3 configuration the output seems to be 1-2 lumens in low mode. Must start on High tho.

Last edited:

tullytv

Newly Enlightened
Thank you kind sirs.
I have that setup (M31 in MDx Head on a MD3 body running 2xAA NiMH w/ Hi-Low ring.) It produces around 0.25 lmns using the ring and I have not found a use for it given that the light will only go into low mode by starting off in High, then twisting to activate the resistor. The 75ohms resistor was designed for controlling the higher voltages of the M61/91.

teak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The new clip on the mdc bodies are great. Very secure. New light using the m61LL 219b V2 on a 16650.. I think it's a keeper.

teak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice. Tint looks very clean in the photo.

Yes. I love these 219s from the very first one a few years ago and they just keep getting better. I was torn on the LL or LLL. I thought they were so close together that I'd just go with the edge in output with slightly less runtime. If the LLL would have been 40 lumens, I would have went that route. I probably just should have bought both!

Status
Not open for further replies.