The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Offgridled

Flashlight Enthusiast
Reason to be sorry:
If you were the guy who introduced me to my ex wife.

Reason to not be sorry.
If you were the guy ntroducing me to limited edition Elzettas... you may not remember but about a year ago you pushed me over the edge about buying my first Malkoff drop in.
The WLL for a 6P.
That's too funny;) :rofl:

stellar canuck

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone done a Sportac triple nicia P60 drop in for MD2 body and head?

Has anybody tried this? I was thinking this would make a good combo, but am unsure whether the MD2 can take the Sportac P60. In a very old thread, someone did say they got this to work, using the high-lo ring to get two levels of brightness, but they didn't say whether "got this to work" means (much) more than drop it in. Sportac now also has a two level dropin, which I'm hoping would work with the MD2 tail switch appropriately.

teak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone done a Sportac triple nicia P60 drop in for MD2 body and head?

Has anybody tried this? I was thinking this would make a good combo, but am unsure whether the MD2 can take the Sportac P60. In a very old thread, someone did say they got this to work, using the high-lo ring to get two levels of brightness, but they didn't say whether "got this to work" means (much) more than drop it in. Sportac now also has a two level dropin, which I'm hoping would work with the MD2 tail switch appropriately.
Awhile back I used the edc+ dropin in a md2 head with a high/low ring. It worked just fine, however the small diameter of the opening blocked the full potential of the drop in. With the new 22.3 md2 head this may help that issue out. I would say the same is possible with the sportac.

stellar canuck

Newly Enlightened
Thanks! Its good to know a P60 will fit. As I recall, the edc+ was a three mode drop in. Did the high/low ring give you a low and the high, with the tail switch just turning it on or off? Or did it cycle through the three modes? (This may be a silly question, but I'm not sure how the three modes built into the drop in would work with the high/low and the tail switch.)

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Hi/lo ring is a mechanical device at the front end.

Iirc some reported the low did not light the light with the low of the 361 drop in or something like that... trouble is at page 285 and counting its hard to remember how many pages ago that was.

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks! Its good to know a P60 will fit. As I recall, the edc+ was a three mode drop in. Did the high/low ring give you a low and the high, with the tail switch just turning it on or off? Or did it cycle through the three modes? (This may be a silly question, but I'm not sure how the three modes built into the drop in would work with the high/low and the tail switch.)

I have the M361N in an MD2 with the high/low ring and all six levels work fine.

You will have 6 different light output levels of approximately 375, 75, 15 , 8, 1.5, 0.4 Lumens.

dhunley1

Enlightened
I have the M361N in an MD2 with the high/low ring and all six levels work fine.

You will have 6 different light output levels of approximately 375, 75, 15 , 8, 1.5, 0.4 Lumens.

I have the same set-up. Works great!

I'm using a KeepPower protected 18650 3500mAh.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an EDC+ Triple Nichia, I've just put it in one of my MD2s with a High / Low ring and an AW 18650 2600mah cell.It normally lives in an MD1 body without a Hi/Lo ring, as it's foolproof enough to live in Mrs Yeti's Bag.
Anyway, all three modes work on both High and Low, although to be honest I couldn't see much difference between the Low / Medium and the Low /Low. 6 modes are far too many for this Bear of little Brain.
I agree that the small opening of the MD2 head cuts off a little spill, but it's never bothered me.
P

bigfoot

Enlightened
Well, I'm officially a member of the club now. :D Not sure what took me so long... but I just ordered my first Malkoff setup -- basic MD2 body with M61NL dropin. Pretty excited, to say the least! (Thanks to Woodswalker for his write-up and photos, which finally pushed me over the edge.)

I was looking for a simple, bulletproof, single-mode light with a neutral tint, long runtime, and decent (but not overwhelming) output. Hoping to use it for a general EDC and dog-walking light. Judging from all the great reviews, it looks like I made the right choice. Now, to just wait patiently for the mail!

:popcorn:

One question for the experts here: Can you run SureFire's K2 LiFePO4 CR123 rechargeable batteries with this setup, or am I restricted to primaries only? Thanks in advance!

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
While you should be able to run LiFePO4 cells, I see no reason to do it.

M61s work exceptionally well with 18650s of up to 3500 mAh of capacity. After the cell voltage drops below 3.4 volts, the drop-in changes to direct drive mode and very slowly decreased its output for a very long time....until the cell's protection circuit eventually trips.

The dimming of the output is a solid indicator that the cell is running low and needs to be changed, with no surprise darkness.

I highly suggest the high/low ring for the MD light. The 12-15 lumen output works very well for close range use, and it gives an obscenely long run time.

Last edited:

stellar canuck

Newly Enlightened
The edc+ triple normally lives in the MD1? What head and tail switch do you have on it? That sounds like a very nice combination. Do you use the Malkoff clicky switch on the MD1?

Status
Not open for further replies.