The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hudson456

Newly Enlightened
Order confirmed. Got myself a Hound Dog Super neutral :D

I find it kind of interesting that the Cool Version sold out first. What are people's thoughts on Cool versus Neutral? I went for a cool because I figure I want the absolute most impressive throw on this bad boy.

archimedes

Flashaholic
I find it kind of interesting that the Cool Version sold out first. What are people's thoughts on Cool versus Neutral? I went for a cool because I figure I want the absolute most impressive throw on this bad boy.
Personally, cool tint is always my last choice. If max output is the priority, however, that's the tradeoff one must make ....

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
So the first one here with new Hound Dog Super beamshots wins a "you suck!"

That's not much incentive for us.

If the choice were between 6200K+ and 4000K, I would choose 4000K every time, even with a thrower, and even if the output penalty were visible. The choice between 5700K and 4000K is a bit more difficult, especially for one that wouldn't be used at close range.

I consider 5000K to be pretty white, so I'd likely see 5700K as only slightly cool. I own quite a few 4000K lights and they're either somewhat rosy or yellow, neither of which I consider pure white. I've owned both neutral and cool Hound Dogs, and the tint difference in real usage isn't significant. I'm sure both 4000K and 5700K would work well, with the extra 5000 CD being helpful, since it's likely going to be a dedicated thrower. The beamshot photo on the product page shows the spots to be quite similar, with the biggest difference being in the corona. The size of the corona in real usage may affect my final decision.

I would be helpful to know the CRI of these two to use that as another deciding factor.

Last edited:

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just used my (now)previous-gen Hound Dog and Wildcat on a 40 minute urban walk in the cold and ice - the Wildcat on the way out and the Hound Dog coming back in.

Each light is a true pleasure to use. I hope to get the newest neutral versions this spring when I my job goes back into overtime, but it eases the wait when what I have is so good!

I am a Malkoff junkie.

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for all the answers on cleaning and lubing, guys!

New question: when did you get your OLDEST Malkoff?

mk2rocco

Flashlight Enthusiast
Already got a shipping notification for my Super Hound Dog! Looks like Gene and the crew are trying to get then to us before Christmas [emoji106]

kj2

Flashaholic
Received shipping notice as well. Won't make it before Christmas or even this month. But yeah, hopefully it's worth the wait. Was kinda disappointed in the M61HOT MD2. That one didn't throw like I expected.

JacquesDP

Newly Enlightened
This is by no means a professional or clear beamshot, but I will post it here in case it can be of help to someone.

It shows the difference in tint between the M61NL and M61.

58e78778157560c393a74261f813e9f8.jpg

redvalkyrie

Enlightened
You know what I would really like to see? A neutral XPG 1AA MDC. The 219 version is just a little too low in it's outputs.

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
You need to look for an M31N variant. They were made for Oveready. I have one and it is very nice. It can fit in a VME head and be used with an AA, a 2xAA or a CR123A cell.

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
You know what I would really like to see? A neutral XPG 1AA MDC. The 219 version is just a little too low in it's outputs.

I would like to see the return of M31LL XP-Gs for the same reason (neutral or cool). The M31LL is as bright as the M31L 219, and has twice the runtime. I like the tint and CRI of the 219's as much as the next guy, but sometimes a well-focused beam and efficiency trump pleasing colors.

jbaker111

Newly Enlightened
Yea I'm more curious if the low output jumps from 3-8 on the Nichia. Just emailed Illumn :thumbsup: QUOTE=Dave D;5019251]Nichia's are know to put out less lumens. You could always ask illumn.com if it's a typo or not.
[/QUOTE]

The spacing was my main concern (8-20 is not much difference), so I'd be curious to know what they say.

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
This evening's test of three different low voltage Malkoff drop-ins utilizes two Surefire 9Ps (one bored and one stock) and one bored Surefire 6P with bored single cell extender. Each light has a Delrin sleeve to reduce the bore diameter to AA size, which came from Oveready. Three 1/2" diameter Aluminum rods sheathed in thick heat shrink tubing allowed as a single AA to be used. The light shines through UCL glass also from Oveready and the switches are McClickies housed in Triad tailcaps (for secure tailstanding for measurement gathering).

After an hour and a half, one of the three competitors has withdrawn from the low voltage challenge.

From two freshly charged Eneloops, the M31 219B delivered 63 lux at turn on in my integrating space. From a single Eneloop, it started out the strongest of the three, generating 33.2 lux at turn on. After 5 minutes, it had dropped to 26.75 lux, and ran steadily at 25.x lux through the 45 minute mark. It measured 23 lux at 50 minutes, 17 lux at 55 minutes, and 4.15 lux after an hour, at which point it was generating somewhere around 30 lumens. Each additional 5 minutes resulted in basically halving the lux generated, until I shut it off after an hour and half, at .40 lux. It was still producing adequate light for close range totally dark space usage. The cell voltage was measured to be 0.9 v immediately after removal from the light, and the specs indicate the low voltage limit is .8 v, so it would have continued to run for a while.

From two fresh Eneloops, the M30W delivered 39.75 lux. From a single Eneloop, it generated 19.05 lux at turn on. It dropped to 17.75 lux after 5 minutes, to 16.45 lux after 10 minutes, and then slowly reduced in output down to 15.45 lux after an hour. That's right. At the point when the M31 219B had dropped significantly, the M30 had barely reduced at all. After an hour and a half, the meter was registering 14.75 lux.

The M31LL 219B v2 registered 18.60 lux from two Eneloops, and 16.60 lux from one. After 10 minutes, it had dropped down to 16.30 lux, and slowly reduced in output down to 15.95 after an hour. After an hour and a half, the meter was registering 15.80 lux.

Between 5 minutes and 90 minutes into the test, the M30W and M31LL 219B v2 measured to within ~1 lux of each other. I was not expecting such a close performance.

After 90 minutes of use, the M31LL 219B v2's Eneloop measure about 1.265 volts, and the M30W's measured at about 1.25 volts. I didn't measure them immediately after shutting off the lights.

I expect both of these to continue to output usable light for another 30 minutes to an hour. I can continue the test tomorrow evening, if anyone's interested in the final results.

As long as my batteries and drop-ins are representative of the norm, a low output M31 219B v2 would make a great, and relatively accessible, low voltage Malkoff drop-in.

If you'd like to see a graph of the output, I can accommodate.

They took very different paths, but both the M31LL 219B v2 and M30W's outputs were down to .5 lux within 5 minutes of each other.

The M30W held a relatively steady ~14.5 lux until 100 minutes had passed, then began a slow and steady decline. It reached the .5 lux level after 175 minutes. Immediately after removal from the light, the Eneloop delivered .85 volt to my meter.

The M31LL 219B v2 held a completely solid ~15.9 lux all the way until 156 minutes, then took a nosedive, reaching .5 lux after 180 minutes. Immediately after removal from the light, the Eneloop delivered .860 volt to my meter.

Here's a graph indicating the run time curve. I'll likely perform a couple more tests in the future, and will add the data to the graph.

Run%20Time%20Graph_zpsqrkvtxpl.jpg

Wow, grizzman

thanks a million for all this work! I was wondering if the M30 could be used as a "survival" light like the various M60's (M60L, M60LL) and it very much can!

The advantage is you can get a smaller flashlight to give you the versatility of the M60's.

You can use the 1x18650 to get the max output and throw, but also the 1xAA, 2xAA (with extender) and the primary 123's (with one 123 dummy cell).

That's a lot of flexibility in one unit.

Also avoid problems of using multiple cells (sometimes cells in series deplete at different rates), get reasonable runtime and can get lower or higher lumen and lux outputs by using different battery combinations.

Direct drive at the end is also nice in a "survival" scenario by giving you even a bit of light for that much extra time.

Amazing that after almost 10 years we can find new uses for these drop-ins. I am just really floored.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Illumn replied and they think those specs are correct. You're right not much dif. and I was hoping it was a low of 3 like the XPG2 2AA.

The spacing was my main concern (8-20 is not much difference), so I'd be curious to know what they say.[/QUOTE]

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm happy to spread some info that may be able to help fellow CPF-ers.

The M30 is definitely a top pick for survival purposes.

A few weeks ago, I set up a foam insert for a Pelican 1150 for emergency use. The primary light has a Malkoff M30W in a Moddoolar custom smoothie bezel, attached to a Moddoolar Slim TL50 body with C-Series Interface, and a DiamondBack tailcap with McClicky.

The case also has a DiamondBack tailcap with ZeroRez Shorty insert, 15, 30, & 50 mm spacers, and 50 mm long 18 mm to AA and CR123 sleeves. With the kit, I can use an Alkaline AA, Lithium AA, 14500, Primary CR123, 16340, 18350, 17500, 18500, 16650, 17670, and 18650 battery sizes.

I also cut out a space for a TL130 tube with McClickied DiamondBack tailcap. I would use this with two AAs and a spacer with the M30W. With two 500 mm long cells and a spacer, or two 650 mm long cells, it can be used with the Wasp head that also lives in the kit. I suppose the TL130 might be able to be replaced by a TL100 and a 35mm extender, with the extender only needed for two 18650s. The extender's surface machining won't match the body, but I just confirmed that it does work.

If a situation occurred requiring it's use, I'd swap one of the DiamondBack tailcaps for a Triad to allow for steady tailstanding. Naturally, the M30W can be replaced with any of my M60s or M61s. An M60 slides right into the far left hole in which the 18 to AA sleeve is sitting. One of the great features of the M60 and M30 is the lack of a reflector to protect.

Pelican%20Emergency%20Kit_zpsaicpogmt.jpg

Last edited:

tuelleric

Enlightened
Definitely interested in seeing this! Sounds like almost every combination of power sources is covered.

I'm happy to spread some info that may be able to help fellow CPF-ers.

The M30 is definitely a top pick for survival purposes.

A few weeks ago, I set up a Pelican foam insert for emergency use. It's got Moddoolar TL50 with C-Series Interface and a DiamondBack tailcap with McClicky. The case also has a DiamondBack tailcap with ZeroRez Shorty insert, 15, 30, & 50 mm spacers, and 50 mm long 18 mm to AA and CR123 sleeves. With the kit, I can use an Alkaline AA, Lithium AA, 14500, Primary CR123, 16340, 18350, 17500, 18500, 16650, 17670, and 18650 battery sizes. I also cut out a space for a TL130 tube with McClickied DiamondBack tailcap for use with two AAs, or two 500 mm long cells with the Wasp head that also lives in the kit.

I took a quick photo of it, but it seems my work laptop's SD card reader still isn't working. I'll fire up another PC tomorrow and add the photo to this post.

roger-roger

Enlightened
I was introduced to Malkoff at AR15, so this was a *long* time coming.

Just completed my order of a new nightstand light, an MD2 shell and M61NL. Have had the order in my shopping cart for a couple days, and received an email with a 10% discount for completion. The M61NL is already on sale so this brought the separate components cost, to that of the ongoing sale price of the M61 MD2. Very cool of Malkoff to do this.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.