The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
This new Hound Dog seems to be a Surefire M6LT killer! I am looking forward to get it as well as the new Wildcat!

By the way: Merry Christmas!

The Hound Dog has been a M6LT killer for a few years ago but this is the definitive one it seems.

geal

Newly Enlightened
Ordered malkoff mdc nichia...concerned about pwm...

Hey all. I recently ordered a malkoff nichia mdc and subsequently learned it has pwm. Why is such a premium and seemingly awesome light not current controlled? Kinda dissappointed. Am i being unreasonable? Who has this light and what are your thoughts on it? Thanks!

PS other nichia 1x aa recommendations?

redvalkyrie

Enlightened
Re: Ordered malkoff mdc nichia...concerned about pwm...

Not sure--others can chime in on zero PWM Nichia 219 lights. Reylight Pinneaple?

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast

I was also disappointed when I found out my Nichia MDC had PWM, but I'd been using for 6 months before I read it on here. So I can't say that it bothers me at all in this light.
P

stephenk

Enlightened

If you are not sensitive to PWM (and most people aren't), and won't be using the light for video, then I wouldn't worry.
Some of my favourite lights use PWM.

ven

Flashaholic

Quite a lot use PWM, and they do have benefits(providing your not sensitive to it). Actually more efficient and retains the same colour temp through out the modes. I have an m361n and i can not see any PWM. Now i am not super susceptible to it!!! but i can detect it pretty easy if the frequency is in my range............(what ever that it is) McGizmo and HDS iirc(just 2 name a couple) also use it, i see no PWM either way. Way i look at it, if i cant see it and it effects me in now way, i honestly dont care one bit!! It is down to the frequency and from light i have had, usually the cheaper end are the ones i spot easily................

My advice would be chill, test it out and see, if its not for you and you can detect it, then you can simply sell on here and it will be gone within the hour!............well maybe day as it is xmas;)

Merry Christmas:)

Last edited:

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast

I agree with Ven. It's sort of made out to be something evil, but if you have to take photos or wave the light around to even notice it then it's not an issue. Luckily it doesn't bother me at all and the MDC line is my favorite.
Quite a lot use PWM, and they do have benefits(providing your not sensitive to it). Actually more efficient and retains the same colour temp through out the modes. I have an m361n and i can not see any PWM. Now i am not super susceptible to it!!! but i can detect it pretty easy if the frequency is in my range............(what ever that it is) McGizmo and HDS iirc(just 2 name a couple) also use it, i see no PWM either way. Way i look at it, if i cant see it and it effects me in now way, i honestly dont care one bit!! It is down to the frequency and from light i have had, usually the cheaper end are the ones i spot easily................

My advice would be chill, test it out and see, if its not for you and you can detect it, then you can simply sell on here and it will be gone within the hour!............well maybe day as it is xmas;)

Merry Christmas:)

geal

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for the replies guys. Hopefully i'll not notice it too much. Im definitely feeling better about the purchase. Will be my first malkoff...should be here tomorrow! Merry Christmas, happy Chanukkah!

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim

Merry Christmas.

I hate PWM as sometimes hike in the rain and snow. If the frequency is too low the world looks like disco. That said have a few lights like the 4/7 AAA and maybe even the Mini line has PWM and can't see it. I guess it depends on the light.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Hound Dog has been a M6LT killer for a few years ago but this is the definitive one it seems.

I would say they are of different kinds and not competitors. The beam profiles are very different because of different designs(lens/reflector). The M6LT has a beefy hotspot with approximately twice the candela than Hound Dog but the spill is very dim relatively seen(still adequate for shining up the foreground). The spill of Hound Dog is very bright with a clear edge.
But this new Hound Dog with lens system will have around twice the candela as M6LT! It will be very interesting to compare M6LT to the new Hound Dog. And I really like that Wildcat and Hound Dog are available in neutral tint.

Last edited:

154CM

Newly Enlightened
Hello. What is the lumen output on low on a md2 m61 high/low light? It doesn't say on malkoff's website.

cstuart

Newly Enlightened
I just bought an older Malkoff MDC bezel, 3.4-5v range only, from eBay. Can anyone confirm if this is OK to run with 2 CR123A primaries?

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just bought an older Malkoff MDC bezel, 3.4-5v range only, from eBay. Can anyone confirm if this is OK to run with 2 CR123A primaries?
2 x CR123As are 6 volts - 3v each in series. So, no. You can use a 16650 cell in that length tube which will give you 3.7 volts.
P

Status
Not open for further replies.