The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

badbs101

Newly Enlightened
The neutral aa MDC I own is much brighter than an incan Mag Solitaire. To the point that if used in a crowded theater my neighbors would be thinking "dude, turn out that dam light".
Just sayin'....

I see the Malkoff site says "0.3" now, so yeah that'll be great for reading a program in a dark theater without bugging the neighbors.

0.3 lumens, I dont think so.

So the newer .3 lumens rating is still too bright (brighter than an incan Mag Solitaire)? :thinking:

Last edited:

ThomGault

Newly Enlightened
As a flashlight newb, lumen numbers don't translate into real life for me....can someone compare the differences in application of the .3/8/90 output of a neutral 1aa mdc to the 3/15/185 output of a neutral 2aa mdc? I'm sure its partly subjective, but a general overview would be very helpful. Thanks!

At the top end, the 185lm will appear a little bit brighter than 90lm, although the difference will not be awe inspiring. Probably doesn't translate into much increased utility.

On the low end, however, 0.3 lumens will be much easier on the eyes than 3 lumens when you are fully dark adapted. It's a true moonlight mode.

Thanks for the feedback, Modern.

Can anyone else elaborate on how the differences in lumen output between the 1AA and 2AA MDC affect usage?

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
So the newer .3 lumens rating is still too bright (brighter than an incan Mag Solitaire)? :thinking:

I just found an old incan Mag Solitaire and put a battery in it.

The beams are so different that ceiling bounce was the only way I could think to compare them, but according to my eyes, the ceiling bounce result looks the same for both.

--flatline

badbs101

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for checking. I guess I'll have to keep looking for a good ultra low lumen theater light. In the mean time, I'll use the light off the cell phone's screen as that seems to be unobtrusive enough to not bother those sitting nearby.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for checking. I guess I'll have to keep looking for a good ultra low lumen theater light. In the mean time, I'll use the light off the cell phone's screen as that seems to be unobtrusive enough to not bother those sitting nearby.

Get yourself a ThruNite Ti3. The firefly mode claims to be 0.04L and it's a mere $14 on amazon.

--flatline

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
can a prometheus Ti Clip fit a MD2?.
does it need an O ring there?.
thanks.

Works perfectly. No fitment O-ring is required. This type of clip leaves too much flashlight above the pocket line, in my opinion. I wish Mr. Malkoff offered a true deep pocket carry MD2 with a clip like the MDC's have.

IMG-0898.jpg

Jose Marin

Enlightened
can a prometheus Ti Clip fit a MD2?.
does it need an O ring there?.
thanks.

Yes they fit see my pics above, if you use malkoff tail cap no you don't need an oring. If you use any other kind of tailcap will depend on if the body of the switch is too long/too short, anodized threads/non anodized threads, length of switch spring, thickness of switch retainer, etc

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
A technical question for the bright lights among you. The M61 219b is listed as having a maximum output of 225 lumens and a run time of 1.5 hours on 2 x CR123 cells. The MDC 16650 219b shares the same maximum output of 225 lumens, yet it comes with this cautionary blurb about two primary cells being acceptable but not ideal due to some battery crushing current draw on high mode.

Does the MDC 16650 219 murder primary cells on high mode? Or was this bit of text thoughtlessly copied over from the Malkoff website, where the warning rightly applies to the 500 lumen, cree version of the MDC 16650?

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
A technical question for the bright lights among you. The M61 219b is listed as having a maximum output of 225 lumens and a run time of 1.5 hours on 2 x CR123 cells. The MDC 16650 219b shares the same maximum output of 225 lumens, yet it comes with this cautionary blurb about two primary cells being acceptable but not ideal due to some battery crushing current draw on high mode.

Does the MDC 16650 219 murder primary cells on high mode? Or was this bit of text thoughtlessly copied over from the Malkoff website, where the warning rightly applies to the 500 lumen, cree version of the MDC 16650?
This might give you a rough idea of how the 16650 likes primaries. I haven't tested 2 primaries, i don't remember what this head is rated for as far as voltage range. I just happened to have run this test a while back

As far as sub lumen, Nichia does better than N or cool but I still do not think its very dim. I would have to test them but they are typically around 1-2lm some closer to 3lm. they all vary a bit. There are some that are actually the rated 0.3 but that is a rare case from my experience.

If you want true sub lumen from malkoff, you nee a M361 module Neutral or Nichia are better, but you have to run it with a high/low ring to get the true sub lumen output. Even 0.3lm will end up pretty bright in a very dark room once your eyes have dilated, but will be much better than what you will actually get from a MDC AA

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some thoughts on the changing landscape:

10 years ago the standard thing on the forum was getting a 6P, less commonly 9P and getting it bored to 18m for performance stuff and of course there was a number of aftermarket 6p bodies, primarily FiveMega and Leef at the time.

When Malkoff came up with the MD* format lights - not sure of the precise timeline - he kind of made that obsolete. When he came up with heads that outdid anything you could do with the 6P platform, the OEM 6P became irrelevant. Why buy a P60 module when you can just buy a M61HOT? or M61T? I will probably never buy a 6P again for modding. If you want a basic EDC light, you get a regular MD2 with something like M61LL in it, that's already bored for 18mm, or if you want some horsepower you can climb up the M61T / M61HOT / M91 and of course the 18650 Hound Dog ladder which also runs off MD2 body and you can swap between 18650 HD and M61T for example, or some low powered head.

I do wonder if Malkoff contributed to Surefire's 6P demise. In the sense that they went to the sealed head that wasn't possible to unscrew open and mod anymore.

I questioned Malkoff's decision from the start to use MD* heads that were not compatible with Surefire C/C bodies but as it turns out long-term was exactly the correct decision and the right way to adapt to the changing landscape, since C/C has become irrelevant, or nearly so - it's on its way to irrelevance. Yeah, I know many here have surefire 6P and clones but they apparently haven't been sold to the public for years, being incans.

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it was more of the government contracts needing more modern lights that contributed to the demise of the modular 6P. not too much point using a "dropin" with a potentially extra loose piece floating around when you can have a solid head.

we picked up a few cases of surefire 6Ps as surplus, new in the big case packs with contract information still on them! :duh2: Tax dollars hard at work.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it was more of the government contracts needing more modern lights that contributed to the demise of the modular 6P. not too much point using a "dropin" with a potentially extra loose piece floating around when you can have a solid head.

we picked up a few cases of surefire 6Ps as surplus, new in the big case packs with contract information still on them! :duh2: Tax dollars hard at work.

I got one of those from you recently. My only surefire. Figured it was time to own a bit of history.

--flatline

KBobAries

Enlightened
...When he came up with heads that outdid anything you could do with the 6P platform, the OEM 6P became irrelevant. Why buy a P60 module when you can just buy a M61HOT? or M61T?...

I have 5 (6?) bored 6P bodies and 4 complete Malkoff lights plus a VME head and a coupe extra drop-ins sans hosts. The 6P has been around for eons and is one of the most lego-able hosts. Everybody and their brother made sure their products were 6P compatible. P60s are still quite relevant because they offer the buyer's choice of LED, tint, UI etc. My camping/hunting kit contains a bored 6P and several drop-ins; red, green, amber, blue, M361N, UV, and IR only 2 of which are offered by Malkoff. I think Gene's locking system is great but I'm not going through the expense of buying multiple Malkoff heads for each drop-in nor carrying the head wrench to change drop-ins. The 6P is much quicker and more convenient.

I like my Malkoffs VERY much and an 18650 Hound Dog neutral is one of two lights that I rotate for work (using the light dozens of times each day.) However, Gene doesn't have heads that outdo everything else as evidenced by the second light in my work rotation; a bored 6P with a Tana TripLED 219B. The flood/throw pattern combined with the output surpasses anything Gene makes in the single 18650 class. I'd have to get a full-sized Wildcat to duplicate the beam pattern and output but lose the compactness by doing so. I keep waiting and hoping for Gene to offer an 18650 Wildcat but until then the Tana is awesome.

Dan

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 5 (6?) bored 6P bodies and 4 complete Malkoff lights plus a VME head and a coupe extra drop-ins sans hosts. The 6P has been around for eons and is one of the most lego-able hosts. Everybody and their brother made sure their products were 6P compatible. P60s are still quite relevant because they offer the buyer's choice of LED, tint, UI etc. My camping/hunting kit contains a bored 6P and several drop-ins; red, green, amber, blue, M361N, UV, and IR only 2 of which are offered by Malkoff. I think Gene's locking system is great but I'm not going through the expense of buying multiple Malkoff heads for each drop-in nor carrying the head wrench to change drop-ins. The 6P is much quicker and more convenient.

I like my Malkoffs VERY much and an 18650 Hound Dog neutral is one of two lights that I rotate for work (using the light dozens of times each day.) However, Gene doesn't have heads that outdo everything else as evidenced by the second light in my work rotation; a bored 6P with a Tana TripLED 219B. The flood/throw pattern combined with the output surpasses anything Gene makes in the single 18650 class. I'd have to get a full-sized Wildcat to duplicate the beam pattern and output but lose the compactness by doing so. I keep waiting and hoping for Gene to offer an 18650 Wildcat but until then the Tana is awesome.

Dan
Agreed. I like my MD2 and Hound Dog a lot and they are great at many things, but there's nothing from Malkoff that could compete with my PFlexPro equipped P60 lights. I'm glad we have such a variety of options.

blueridgeman

Newly Enlightened
I've become a "Malkoff junkie" with a hound dog XML, a Wildcat V6, an MD2 hi/lo (my favorite), an MDC HA 1AA and an MDC 2AA...all in less than a year.

Now I need a hound dog 18650 head to swap out as needed on my MD2..when will this madness end?

Cool or Neutral? I'm thinking neutral..

Status
Not open for further replies.