The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, i use never dull...

I picked up a can from Auto Zone the other day. That high low ring looks like new! Thanks for the tip.

Brought this trio with me on my recent trip.

MDC 1AA Nichia, MDC 16650 neutral and an MD2 M61NL in 22.3 head with H/L ring....

A well thought out trio. You've got high CRI (Nicha 1AA), full power (MDC16650), and long run time (MD2 M61NL). Nice pic, too!

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
@dhunley thanks, i was wondering if it was one of the mini oceans or if you made a trip out of state somewhere

@modernflame....that stuff works miracles from my experience. Glad you picked some up and are shining away
Pretty soon you'll be polishing up all your brass parts. I think it works on other metals as well.
Just don't get too bored and start polishing your water pipes:crackup:

After watching the last nutnfancy video about the 10 errors of an EDC (video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmXa11JWnUQ) I was convinced that I need a tactical flashlight.

Until today I have always alternated between MDC AA and MDC 16650 models.
But these models are not tactical (they always start in low mode)

I noticed that there is an MDC TAC
This model always starts in high mode, but unfortunately it does not support rechargeable batteries.

Here in Brazil I do not have easy access to CR123 batteries, so I need a flashlight that supports rechargeable batteries.

As a good solution to my dilemma exists the bodyguard model.

I hesitated and even said that I would never see myself using a flashlight like that, but here I am, seriously thinking of buying the bodyguard v1 head (I already have the body).

What still makes me a bit sad is the fact that I can not use 18350 batteries in the host bodyguard.

I particularly think that the 16340 batteries have a very limited capacity.

I would use this model as a tactical flashlight and in my backpack I would have another flashlight, such as a new md4 + m61 (with high / low ring)

What do you say about all this?

dhunley1

Enlightened
A well thought out trio. You've got high CRI (Nicha 1AA), full power (MDC16650), and long run time (MD2 M61NL). Nice pic, too!

Thanks. They all worked well for my needs and I didn't find myself wishing I had brought more lights.

@dhunley thanks, i was wondering if it was one of the mini oceans or if you made a trip out of state somewhere

Yeah, just stayed in Michigan. Rented a house up in Charlevoix.

After watching the last nutnfancy video about the 10 errors of an EDC (video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmXa11JWnUQ) I was convinced that I need a tactical flashlight.

Until today I have always alternated between MDC AA and MDC 16650 models.
But these models are not tactical (they always start in low mode)

I noticed that there is an MDC TAC
This model always starts in high mode, but unfortunately it does not support rechargeable batteries.

Here in Brazil I do not have easy access to CR123 batteries, so I need a flashlight that supports rechargeable batteries.

As a good solution to my dilemma exists the bodyguard model.

I hesitated and even said that I would never see myself using a flashlight like that, but here I am, seriously thinking of buying the bodyguard v1 head (I already have the body).

What still makes me a bit sad is the fact that I can not use 18350 batteries in the host bodyguard.

I particularly think that the 16340 batteries have a very limited capacity.

I would use this model as a tactical flashlight and in my backpack I would have another flashlight, such as a new md4 + m61 (with high / low ring)

Don't look past an E2 head on a 16650 body. That's what I use as my "tactical" light.

Jose Marin

Enlightened
Got my new m61 425lm drop in and thought id make a beam comparison for who ever is thinking about upgrading. The reports of it getting brighter on 2x lion is true but it's not a huge jump. I dont have a way to measure lumens but i do measure candela.

M61 325lm 1 lion 5kcd/2 lion 6kcd
M61 425lm 1 lion 6kcd/2 lion 7kcd

All beamshots are cw with 1x lion approx 70ft to trampoline

M61LL 1kcd
qPEXlp1.jpg

M61L 2kcd
5CSw1As.jpg

M61 325lm 5kcd
IcpLuqh.jpg

M61 425lm 6kcd
L85iOdt.jpg

M61T 10kcd
mvvATDb.jpg

M61HOT 15kcd
LSytL3M.jpg

SF 6p osram oslon black flat h17f 95kcd work edc (cause why not)
yFkWuqe.jpg

Jose Marin

Enlightened

Marco personally for a "tactical" light i would want a momentary only switch/ single mode with no possibility to go into a programming mode. May i suggest a bored surefire 6p with the new m61 425 lumen drop in. If youd just rather stick with all malkoff get the body guard v1 or v2 head(they both work with 1x 18650 just pick how bright you want) and use the new unshrouded 18650 mdc body. There is a tutorial on how to make the mcclicky momentary only but i haven't got around to trying it out yet

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Marco, I'd go for the E2 Scout head (I have one here) with a 16650 tube.
If you want it to be purely momentary, there are ways and means.
Mrs.Yeti has the head on a 16340 tube in her bag, it's a very useful little light.
We could easily work out runtime.
P

Blues

Enlightened
The E2 Scout head is great. I have it on a SF E2e and it serves as one of my two dedicated "tactical" lights.

I don't think you'll be disappointed, Marco, with Peter's suggestion.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got my new m61 425lm drop in and thought id make a beam comparison for who ever is thinking about upgrading. The reports of it getting brighter on 2x lion is true but it's not a huge jump. I dont have a way to measure lumens but i do measure candela.

M61 325lm 5kcd
IcpLuqh.jpg

M61 425lm 6kcd
L85iOdt.jpg

M61T 10kcd
mvvATDb.jpg

M61HOT 15kcd
LSytL3M.jpg

Thanks for the interesting review.

dhunley1

Enlightened
Jose, you just cost me money...

Pulled the trigger on the new M61. Looking forward to seeing how it compares to the 325 lumens of the E2 head, in person.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like mine. The beam is much different than older versions. Very pure white, no donut hole. The lux is a bit higher, yes but I suspect most of the lumen increase goes into the floodish type throw -- very nice for household tasks, auto work, any kind of repair work and up to 20 meters throw in the woods. Very nice short range (under 25m) device.

My only dream is to get a headband that can accommodate the 6P type lights, then that would be the perfect headlamp.

Status
Not open for further replies.