The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
An intriguing thought.

Re: Thor's Hammer Custom Leather.

I have all the lights I need and want right now. I am however sorely lacking accessories. Like holsters for HD super and HD. He could probably make that also.

archimedes

Flashaholic

Jose Marin

Enlightened
Looking forward to seeing how it compares to the 325 lumens of the E2 head, in person.

Just took beamshots of the e2 and new m61 for you and the pictures are so close i couldnt tell which one was what. No real point of posting it. Not sure if thats a deal breaker for you or not

dhunley1

Enlightened
Just took beamshots of the e2 and new m61 for you and the pictures are so close i couldnt tell which one was what. No real point of posting it. Not sure if thats a deal breaker for you or not

I figured the E2 head wouldnt really be much different, so not a deal breaker for me. I just wanted the drop in for a 6P I have laying around.

Appreciate you taking the beamshots though. The ones you posted are very useful.

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
looking at those pics on my laptop finally...it does not look like you gain much from the 425 over the 325. i see some subtle differences.

So what we know so far...
There is a very slight difference in output to the eye
425 has a higher drain and runs much warmer

Now for the big question...how will runtime compare??? We just might start to get some answers this weekend. Apparently we all know someone that has some items for testing and logging for runtime graphs. He has a fellow friend/member that sent him the 425 on Tuesday. what this means is that he will have the 425 to be able to test tomorrow or Friday!!! So all of the speculation will have some solid data finally. Not sure if he will do all tests possible for the M61 425 but will definitely test the main choices along with current draw for various voltages. he will show the various runtime graphs and share a comparison of current draw of the 325 and 425 modules.

Great!

Infrnl: In person I can say that the difference between the two dropins is visible, but your tests will help us a lot to have a real notion of the gain in luminosity and mainly, of the differences of runtime.

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
ok, I got the module today...Thanks for sending this out ModernFlame:thumbsup:

Has anyone checked current draw yet? Curious what you guys are seeing. I have a specific way that I check and not quite sure if it's the best way. Things change when I am checking current draw...draw itself and output.
It's a bit hard to get an accurate reading because it changes immediately. So what i do is hook it up and let it level out; sometimes this takes a few minutes. But then the light is heated, output usually drops/levels out, etc.

For my purposes I have M61 CW purchased Feb, 6, 2018 So it is very possible mine has more than rated 325lm output.
I am going to be marking my info/graphs on the current 425lm module as M61.1

M61 is rated at 325 lumens with a current draw of 650ma@6v
M61.1 is rated at 425 lumens with a current draw of 800ma@6v

I find the current draw readings to be quite a bit off on both modules. I will do another test and different voltages but here is what i have found:
M61: Leveled out at approx 370 lumen and 960ma@6v under load
M61.1: leveled out at approx 450lm and 1090ma@6v under load.

I will get new readings from turn on, just to see what 1st initial reading is for both modules.

Next up... I checked both lights with single and x2 18650 li-ion cells for initial peak readings on the data logging meter. This is the meter that will be used for the graphs. I currently feel both setups are of a little but leaving things as is. I do not think both meters match eachother anymore as well. Will have to take a look. So take this for what it's worth

M61 MD2 18650GA 3500 protected: Initial peak readings (which don't necessarily mean much) approx 375lm
M61 MD4 18650GA x2 3500 protected: approx 428lm

So we will call this a 50lm gain from dual li-ion over single

M61.1 MD2 18650GA 3500 protected: approx 425lm
M61.1 MD4 18650GA x2 3500 protected: approx 530lm

So the current 425lm M61 has a bigger gain by using 2x li-ion over previous M61's. approx 100lm gain from dual over single li-ion

I am currently running M61.1 MD4 2x 18650GA 3500 protected. I will then test my M61 for direct comparison. Then i will move to single 18650 for ea, dual 18500, etc, etc

These lights will run off of a single primary as well but only provides approx 75lm if i remember correctly, but might be a nice option if it provides good runtime. I know current draw at 3v is pretty low on both of these modules. time will unveil all the details.

Testing both of these modules is my goal for the next week.

On a side note; I think i have completed all testing for my M61T. I will get everything posted up later tonight.
I also want to mention that it may be my eyes, but recent tests of the HOT and T, these lights are pretty white. I am not seeing the blue that I saw in the past. Sometimes i can see a hint of it; especially comparing to neutral lights, but it's tolerable. however i still have no desire for cool white lights. I get what i need from my neutral lights. 5700k cool white are the only cool white I plan to hold onto, but we'll see in the end.

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
The m61 425 md4 test is complete and 325 test is still in progress

Ended up watching a movie with the family.

Going to attempt to work on m61T graphs. Tomorrow i will get the m61 md4 graphs done while md2 li-ion tests run

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Thanks for the info, i guessed using 2x 18350 cells around or near 100lm gain to the eye(hence guess). Noticeably a bit brighter, but not huge basically. What impresses me far more than i thought, how actually nice the CW m61(425) is, its clean, colours(although low CRI) are great! When looking at greens, browns, soil(different grey shades)all looked good and how they should to my eyes. Yes i prefer 4000-5000k, this 6200k as nice(yes as nice) of some of my preferred colour temps. Now i am not saying nichia here, i am saying generally and some between 4-5k. That tells me its a very nice bit of illumination...............

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have posted the initial results M61 325/425 2x Li-Ion

I will post single li-ion results here after a while. If anyone is interested in the differences of the 2 M61 modules...make sure you check the runtime thread.

I will continue testing, but some tests may take a while before we can see a side by side comparison.

dhunley1

Enlightened
Received the new M61 yesterday and I'm liking it a lot! Difference in brightness is noticeable compared to my E2 head, and the tint seems less cool, which is nice.

I know some guys mentioned there being a small dot below the "m61" engraving on the 425 lumen drop in, but mine doesnt have one. Not sure if that was ever confirmed or not.

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
The one I am testing for ModernFlame has the tiny dot...it could easily be missed. It is just a very tiny dot below M61. I think this one is marked under the 1.

I did a quick 10 minute test on the M61 325 and 425 using single 18650 to check temps. I have a feeling that 10 minutes isn't enough time. I will try to periodically check during the next tests but no promises.

So, within this quick 10 min test. I am only seeing around a 10degree or so difference between the 2 modules. You can feel a difference in the hand but not with a temp probe. The lens is the hottest area, net hottest is side of the head towards the top of the head where the lens is

325 read 100-105deg
425 read 110-115deg. I did get 425 close to 120deg but i think i was blocking the light causing more heat

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.