Status
Not open for further replies.

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm 30 minutes in on 18350x2 on the 425 module and it was only reading 122deg f

So it doesn't seem as bad as i imagined from what others posted

dhunley1

Enlightened
Looked again and still don't see a dot on my new M61. Even pulled out a magnifying glass. I wonder if maybe it was just transition thing or if Gene just forgot to do it on mine.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
ok, I got the module today...Thanks for sending this out ModernFlame:thumbsup:

Has anyone checked current draw yet? Curious what you guys are seeing. I have a specific way that I check and not quite sure if it's the best way. Things change when I am checking current draw...draw itself and output.
It's a bit hard to get an accurate reading because it changes immediately. So what i do is hook it up and let it level out; sometimes this takes a few minutes. But then the light is heated, output usually drops/levels out, etc.

For my purposes I have M61 CW purchased Feb, 6, 2018 So it is very possible mine has more than rated 325lm output.
I am going to be marking my info/graphs on the current 425lm module as M61.1

M61 is rated at 325 lumens with a current draw of 650ma@6v
M61.1 is rated at 425 lumens with a current draw of 800ma@6v

I find the current draw readings to be quite a bit off on both modules. I will do another test and different voltages but here is what i have found:
M61: Leveled out at approx 370 lumen and 960ma@6v under load
M61.1: leveled out at approx 450lm and 1090ma@6v under load.

I will get new readings from turn on, just to see what 1st initial reading is for both modules.

Next up... I checked both lights with single and x2 18650 li-ion cells for initial peak readings on the data logging meter. This is the meter that will be used for the graphs. I currently feel both setups are of a little but leaving things as is. I do not think both meters match eachother anymore as well. Will have to take a look. So take this for what it's worth

M61 MD2 18650GA 3500 protected: Initial peak readings (which don't necessarily mean much) approx 375lm
M61 MD4 18650GA x2 3500 protected: approx 428lm

So we will call this a 50lm gain from dual li-ion over single

M61.1 MD2 18650GA 3500 protected: approx 425lm
M61.1 MD4 18650GA x2 3500 protected: approx 530lm

So the current 425lm M61 has a bigger gain by using 2x li-ion over previous M61's. approx 100lm gain from dual over single li-ion

this is very informative, thank you.

NH Lumens

Enlightened
My Bodyguards

bodyguard-6.jpg

On the left is a Bodyguard v.1 head on a 16650 body, powered by a KeepPower 16650 2500mAh cell. This setup has a runtime of over an hour running at full output (600 lumens) and about 3.5 hours running at step-down level (150 lumens). I'm finding this to a great walk-the-dogs light as I can do a scan of the woods surrounding our yard while its at full output, then let it run at reduced output for the rest of the outing. Of course, I can get back to high power with just a quick double-tap of the switch.

One the right is the v.2 head on a 1-CR123 shroudless body, with the McClicky modified to be momentary only, powered by an Efest IMR 16340 700mAh cell. This is intended for self-defensive (flash-'n-dash) applications only, with the 16340 cell providing about 15 minutes of full output (1000 lumens), or about ninety 10-second full power bursts.

I find carrying both of these lights is no more effort than carrying a single MD2 size light, and I very much like the versatility the two in combination provide. My plan was to sell the v.1 head after acquiring the v.2 version, but I'm now finding good reason to hold on to it.

NH, what a beautiful photo and what a beautiful pair of lanterns. congratulations!

I'm studying the idea of ​​carrying a bodyguard flashlight or a 16650 mdc host with a super scout head. the small autonomy of the batteries 16340 makes me think of another option, so I have not yet decided.

From what I could see in Jose's beamshots, this super scout model has a very good balance between Hotspot and spill.

NH Lumens

Enlightened
NH, what a beautiful photo and what a beautiful pair of lanterns. congratulations!

Thanks!

From what I could see in Jose's beamshots, this super scout model has a very good balance between Hotspot and spill.

There are two models;

E2 Super/Scout 600 - 750 lumens/12,000 lux

E2 Super Throw/Scout 600 - 650 lumens/20,000 lux

Depends on the beam pattern you want, I think the throw model would be very comparable to the M61HOT. The v.2 Bodyguard is 1000 lumens and approximately 12,000 lux. I prefer a wider hot spot and am willing to sacrifice a little throw for a hand held light. Of course I always have the HD 18650 if I need more reach. :)

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looked again and still don't see a dot on my new M61. Even pulled out a magnifying glass. I wonder if maybe it was just transition thing or if Gene just forgot to do it on mine.

If you purchased it after they were advertised @ 425 lumens, it might be worth an email to Gene.

dhunley1

Enlightened
If you purchased it after they were advertised @ 425 lumens, it might be worth an email to Gene.

I'm not too worried about it. I can tell it's brighter than the 325 lumen E2 head, and the tint is quite nice for 6200K, so it's a keeper.

etc also confirmed that his new version doesn't have the little dot below the engraving.

ven

Flashaholic
, and the tint is quite nice for 6200K, so it's a keeper. .

This part !, being over run in pleasant nichia's /xpl HI's of 4000-5000k flavours, many other neutrals so pleasing on the eye. My 6000+k options are far less, being my less preferred! But this latest m61 has made me think twice, i have been enjoying this outdoors and it does represent what i look at very well. No offs in the tint, clean and precise! Basically for a CW its exceeded all expectations by a good way, and as a flashaholic who likes variety, its also a keeper for sure. I dont want an army of the same, i of course want the majority to be of my preference which it is, but options are always good:)

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got a random phone call from Gene today. Not sure how much I want to say about the conversation, but I will throw out a couple things that will clear the air. I thought i was in trouble for something i did or said here on the forums...why in the world would Gene randomly call me (I'm just some joe blow hanging out in the crowd), LOL

Gene finally offered me a job!!! Just kidding; although I would love to work with him one day....(Gene, you watching...lol)

Let's clear the air about the new M61 module and the little dot:)

The dot was an internal Malkoff deal just for their purposes as they transitioned into the upgraded modules. Don't wan't to go getting them mixed up. All current modules do not have the little dot.

Back around the beginning of May, Malkoff started using a new Driver which led to the updated modules/lights. All current lights now use the new driver and the main modules will have some sort of increase in output. The lower output modules obviously have not changed as there is a specific goal for those lower output modules. Wouldn't make sense to increase output on those.

So, to recap....All current lights/modules are using the new driver, which took effect around May 9th, 2018.

I now know how Gene measures the output of the modules/lights and how he checks current draw.

I was curious if we would be seeing any changes/updates to the Super or Wildcat. There are no plans for change and the design of both seems pretty solid. The only thing I would have liked is brighter spill on the super without effecting throw. Gene has found a very good compromise of both and will remain as is.

For those that aren't aware (as myself) If you own one of the great wildcat V4's; Gene warned me to never drop it. It is a great light but a great part of the extinction of the V4 is because of the optics. If you drop it, the optics can/will break and there is no repair for it. The entire head needs to be replaced. So if you own one and love it, be careful as you won't be able to fix it and will have to get the v6. Although, the v6 is great. Just wanted to mention this for whatever reason.

I think that is all I am willing to share for now.

Last edited:

fresh eddie fresh

Enlightened
For those that aren't aware (as myself) If you own one of the great wildcat V4's; Gene warned me to never drop it. It is a great light but a great part of the extinction of the V4 is because of the optics. If you drop it, the optics can/will break and there is no repair for it. The entire head needs to be replaced.

I used to own Wildcats 1-4, and the optics for versions 3 and 4 looked the same to me. Are they actually different internally?

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Doing a runtime test of a M31W with mod Hi/Lo ring and 1XAA NIMH. Just over 21 hours and no change in output. Not sure what that is using this voltage. Brighter than firefly two on my Armytek A1 but less and main 1. Maybe 2 or so lumens but very useful inside. Have some alky for the next test (still running this test) but betting they will run even longer given the higher voltage.

@Infrnl: Thank you for sharing a little of your conversation with Gene.
I'm sure you already have a reserved seat at Malkoff Devices.

@Woods: what an awesome runtime!
I really liked the dropin m31w. The tonality pleased me a lot. With that high / low ring you have it should look perfect!

archimedes

Flashaholic
I used to own Wildcats 1-4, and the optics for versions 3 and 4 looked the same to me. Are they actually different internally?

Although I am not certain, as I have not owned WCv3 or WCv4, my understanding of the difference is that they primarily simply use different emitters (XPG vs XPG2, respectively)

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am not familiar with wildcat 1-3, 5...
I just recently got the v4 and have v6.

I'm not sure if there is a difference. Gene just said with the design the optics plate/lens/cover is epoxied in by its legs. They had many lights sent in cause they were dropped and guessing the legs broke...leaving no option for repair.

I would think m31wL would be a better choice. I guess if you want the option of more output and great runtime on low, that would be good. I just know N or W is hungry on high, but would satisfy my needs

For those like Woods that need runtime, i would think L versions would be preferred, idk

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
@Infrnl: Thank you for sharing a little of your conversation with Gene.
I'm sure you already have a reserved seat at Malkoff Devices.

Not sure i would go that far, but i do know that one day, i am going to meet Gene, Cathy, etc in person

And, happy to share what i can, when i can

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had the feeling for quite some time...I have a feeling Gene hasn't had the same feeling for as long as I have:p

I have to be careful...Cathy Might be looking over Gene's shoulder as he secretly checks in on us:whistle::naughty::crackup:

Sorry, I totally forgot about the programmable light, probably among many other things. I was still in shock that the Man himself went out of his daily routine to give me a call.

Gene and the whole Malkoff family are by far the best people I have ever dealt with from a business or maybe in General. They see things in a different way than most people do. We have all experienced some kind of interaction with them and their primary focus is us and making sure we are happy with the products we receive from them. I know there are still many great people similar out there but I have not actually had the same experiences with anyone as I have with Malkoff. I'm not one that likes to talk on the phone, but I enjoy every conversation I have had with Gene.

The only other Manufacturer here I have had great experiences with is HDS Systems, but not at the same level yet. Many of us also share great experiences with them in a different manor, but I feel that both companies have a similar view on thinking of us above anything else. You will not get that from the bigger companies and maybe not even from some of the other small/custom places, IDK.

Anyway...

I also mentioned that the CW lights seem to have less blue in them than I remember from my 1st Malkoff CW experience. Gene has found a place that will cherry pick his emitters for him and give him what he is after. That is always nice to know. I think Gene trys his best to go above and beyond for us in so many different ways. I know I am very grateful that I have found this place and was persuaded to check out the Malkoff experience. not sure where i would be otherwise....probably with the cheaper, non user restorable foreign lights

sorry for the typical rambling

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agree that the Malkoff crew is tops. I gave him a call after I shot you that question Infrnl. He always takes the time to answer my questions. Great guy. Quick question. Does the m31 module cutoff BEFORE draining an Eneloop to the point where it could be damaged, or will it just keep sipping until the battery says uncle? I'm at 2.5 hrs with my M31w running on a regular eneloop and it's probaby .5 lumens. Don't want to jack up my Eneloops unnecessarily.

Status
Not open for further replies.