The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I gotta adjust a few G2 springs which are eating into my soft Keeppower batteries. Run them with LLs. The G2 trail springs seem to be the worst at this. I think there was something related posted about the McClicky in this thread. Gotta look back. In the new SF they seemed to adjusted the spring some as don't have the issue.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
Disassembly of stock G2 switch would be nesseccary to adjust the spring tip. Have you tried deburring the clipped wire tip with a dremel and small stone bit?
With McClicky it's not an issue removing switch..
Mountain Electric sells brass spring caps that might slip over G2 spring tip, but soldering the cap in place could be a chore. Tho, it doesn't take much solder to hold cap in place, without disassembled spring, appling too much heat around plastic parts might create a sticky situation.

Last edited:

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
I gotta adjust a few G2 springs which are eating into my soft Keeppower batteries. Run them with LLs. The G2 trail springs seem to be the worst at this. I think there was something related posted about the McClicky in this thread. Gotta look back. In the new SF they seemed to adjusted the spring some as don't have the issue.

I noticed that as well. My solution was to stop using a 16650 cell and instead put a 16340 cell with a CR123 dummy cell. The spring doesn't appear to hurt the dummy cell.

clowkoy

Newly Enlightened
All 5 of my Malkoff lights are eating my rechargeable batteries so I ground the tip of the spring to a slant with a Dremel using the hard rubber polishing wheel followed by polishing it with a fur felt with Dialux Green rouge. A little Super Lube after. I removed the spring/switch from the tail cap before doing this. Problem solved.
This will be the first thing I will do if I got new Malkoffs.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Sorry for changing the subject here but can anyone with a M61W tell me what you think of it?ill be dam if I can find a Beamshot of it. Thanks.

FaithinGod

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know if it's possible to use the Malkoff MDC 2AA tail switch on the M61 HOT MD2, and if it's already been discussed in this thread, on which page that answer may be?

I presume that the tail ends of both lights are not matching diameters, but I hope I'm incorrect.

I know about the MDC XP-L 16650, but it's low lumen level is too high for my needs, and I would rather have a good throw light, which the HOT provides, but with all the levels of lumen control in the tailcap button, rather than by a twist of the head, while always turning on in low output.

Thank you!

FaithinGod

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi SD, Are you referring to tail cap threads?
With Malkoff lights load/unload bats through head. The head threads are HA plated. Tail cap threads left bare Al for elec contact.. Plus, and already talked, the stock McClicky switch spring (tip sucks) is unfinished. Spring cuts a nice clean groove into protected cells copper anodes during tightening cap. IMO just saying✌

Woods Walker

I noticed that as well. My solution was to stop using a 16650 cell and instead put a 16340 cell with a CR123 dummy cell. The spring doesn't appear to hurt the dummy cell.

I think Keeppower uses soft metal or something as have other batteries are just fine.

Woods Walker

Some experimenting. Despite buying two of these spacers from overready I forgot the size for 2XCR123 to 1XAA. Maybe 15mm long. Yes I can run 14500 in a G2. Probably same for 1XAA if M31.

b3c6WOY.jpg

j7OUMz0.jpg

gLVX0un.jpg

Also works in the SF 6PX Pro.

yXH1osM.jpg

New SF tail doesn't eat into KeepPower batteries.

mqMbDhj.jpg

G2 running M61NLL. This is my winter camp light using 2XCR123 for the cranking cold. Just checking if the tails interchange and they do.

AfYw36K.jpg

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I admit I'm not much into tint/color and all that stuff.If I turn my lights on and light comes out I could care a less if the LEGO I'm stepping on is orange instead of red I just want to see it.I also admit my ignorance about tint/color might have something to do with this.Now I just got in my brand new M61W AND OMG! It is the most beautiful tint I have ever owned!maybe it's my love for my old incandescent lights because in my eyes it's very close to them but it's like I have discovered flashlights all over again. When I compare my M61 to this the M61 looks like it might be brighter but the color of the W is just awesome. When it gets dark going to go back in the woods and see what one I like more but pretty sure it's going to be the M61W

dhunley1

Enlightened
I think the keeppower batteries just have some kind of foil on the negative. I've only found it to be an issue with twisty tailcaps.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your looking at the copper foil side of the protection circuit (mosfet) ~ It's a PCB, once cut thru by twisty action or a sharp McClicky spring tip the underlying material is composite. A redesign of the (overseas mfgr of McClicky switches) contact spring tip would be a very simple adjustment with minimal, if any, added production cost.

Last edited:

fresh eddie fresh

Enlightened
I admit I'm not much into tint/color and all that stuff.If I turn my lights on and light comes out I could care a less if the LEGO I'm stepping on is orange instead of red I just want to see it.I also admit my ignorance about tint/color might have something to do with this.Now I just got in my brand new M61W AND OMG! It is the most beautiful tint I have ever owned!maybe it's my love for my old incandescent lights because in my eyes it's very close to them but it's like I have discovered flashlights all over again. When I compare my M61 to this the M61 looks like it might be brighter but the color of the W is just awesome. When it gets dark going to go back in the woods and see what one I like more but pretty sure it's going to be the M61W

I am also a huge warm tint fan... the HCRI ones are even warmer, believe it or not!

thermal guy

Flashaholic
So took it for a little walk in the woods last night. And not sure what to think. When compared to my M61 it sometimes didn't look as bright and sometimes less throw. The more I used it the more confused I got. I'm pretty sure it isn't as bright and the throw is less but I think the tint makes up for it because I could see just as good.and I do like the incandescent feel to it but I'm thinking I'm a M61N guy. My 18650hd is neutral tint and love that outdoors. Think I'll keep this one in my work light and see how the neutral looks to me on the trail.

Status
Not open for further replies.